Teaching English in Kindergartens

Paul, welcome to Taiwan.

Yes, if you work at two different branches of the same company, according to the law you need a work permit for each.

You don’t need to worry about private lessons, although I wouldn’t do them in a classroom at a cram school. It’s very common to meet private students in a public setting like a coffee shop. You are just two people enjoying a cup of coffee. I’ve also tutored business people in their offices. In 5 years I’ve lived here, I have no personal knowledge of anyone getting in trouble for private lessons. The immigration police generally target cram schools.

I’ve also learned it’s usually pointless to ask why. There are so many things that don’t make sense to me and never will. It’s better to just accept it and live with it. (I just wish I could follow my own advice when I’m driving.) As for the Kindy thing, if I recall, the government’s argument was that kids that young shouldn’t be put under that kind of pressure to learn a foreign language.

Your sequence of events is pretty close but not exactly the situation. You don’t need a health check for a tourist or landing visa, and although it’s possible to get a health check that covers the things the Taiwan government wants in your home country, it’s a much easier process to go to an approved hospital in Taiwan. Further, the validity of the health check is limited, so generally the easiest strategy is to come here on a tourist visa, get the health check and job offer, then get your work permit, change to a resident visa and get your ARC.

[quote=“paulcarr”]Also, regarding my initial inquiry, why are foreigners not permitted to teach in kindergartens in Taiwan? I was told that there is no such prohibition in South Korea for example. I’m sorry for asking too many questions.

Best Wishes, Paul Carr[/quote]

Nothing wrong with asking questions. This isnt Korea so what goes on there nobody cares about.

It is illegal to teach in Kindergartens. That is the law. It’s got nothing to do with any actions of teachers, more that the education dept has ruled that the young children should concentrate on their mother toungue first, not a foreign language.

Teach at a kindy if you want to, just be aware you WILL get DEPORTED if caught.

Thank you, CraigTPE and Satellite TV for your responses, encouragement and useful information.

I’m happy to buy all you helpful guys a pint if you wish. Do any of you guys meet up in Taipei regularly?

Regarding one-on-one private tutoring, how much should I ask for per hour?

Regarding getting a job, from what I gather, it seems to me that the sequence is: 1) sign a contract. 2) get the health check. (or maybe get the health check first and, if that’s okay, then sign the contract?) 3) get the work permit 4) get the resident visa (my original landing visa is transformed into a resident visa at this stage?) and finally 5). get the ARC.

Craig, you write that the validity of the health check is limited. What do you mean by that?

May I ask what is the ARC for? I mean I would have already got the work permit and the resident visa before I get the ARC. The work permit and the resident visa would cover living and working in Taiwan. Why the necessity for the ARC after this? As I understand it, the ARC basically has the name of the Employer who is sponsoring me on it. They’ll own my ass so-to-speak for the duration of the ARC.

Regarding not teaching in kindergartens, as Craig says, children shouldn’t be put under that kind of pressure to learn a foreign language at that stage of their lives and, as Satellite TV says, the Taiwanese Education Department has ruled that children should concentrate on learning their mother tongue first - which is fair enough. I was talking to a Taiwanese woman the other day though. Now if I heard her correctly, she told me that most of the work foreign teachers do in private institutions is teaching 7 to 12 year old kids. I don’t have an education diploma so I can’t teach in public schools or universities. According to her, it’s very difficult to get work teaching older kids in Taiwan. I would prefer to teach older kids or adults as the vast majority of my 5 and a half years experience as a TEFL English language teacher has been teaching these age groups. Anyway, she said that the reason for this is that at older ages (say aged 12 and upwards), the preferred teaching strategy in Taiwan is to have Taiwanese teachers teach them grammar. However, for the younger age group of 7 to 12, the preferred teaching strategy in Taiwan calls for foreign native English speaking teachers to teach them and converse with them and get them fluent in the language.

Don’t do private tutoring for less than 600 NT per hour. When you understand the market better and have more practical experence, you can decide when to ask for more.

The health check results are valid for 3-months. If you do the health check first, and haven’t gotten a job by then, you’ll have to do it again.

Whatever you decide to charge for private lessons, know that you will have a hell of a time ever getting that person to pay more. Maybe as BigJohn suggests, 600/hr is a good place to start.

You ask a good question about the need for an ARC, but I can’t answer it. Like many things here, I’ve learned it’s better for my sanity to just do it and don’t worry why. They use national ID’s here for many things like opening accounts, for example. The ARC serves as our ID. The number you are issued will be used for a lot of different things.

Although to work directly in primary and secondary schools, you need to be a credentialed teacher in your home country, many private schools (not cram schools, but private elementary, junior/senior high schools) get native English teachers from schools like TLI. I worked 4 years in a private jr/sr high school through a contract with TLI (Taipei Language Institute).

And just to clarify, I didn’t say that young kids shouldn’t be pressured to learn a foreign language. My understanding was that the government did. Actually, I think the earlier we are exposed to different languages, the easier it is for us to learn.

As BigJohn mentioned, no less than $600/hour. Even with beginners, aim for more; if they’re serious about studying and you’re a serious teacher, they will pay it.

Get the health check first; it’s valid for three months and will give you time to look for a better position. The school should be able to look after the work permit, etc once you’ve found one.

That’s the idea. You need an ARC to stay in the country and work legally. You need the work permit to get a work-based ARC. They will own you, but if you get a “low-demand” school with less than the minimum required hours, you can look around for secondary jobs. Buxibans usually love to hire (illegally, mind you) teachers for whom they don’t need to sponsor an ARC, deduct taxes, etc. Just mind the police and be sure the school is up to date on its bribe money. In case you haven’t read it elsewhere: NO SCHOOL WHOSE NAME IS NOT ON YOUR ARC CAN LEGALLY EMPLOY YOU OR DEDUCT TAX. IF YOU’RE PAYING TAX TO SUCH A SCHOOL, THE GOVERNMENT IS UNAWARE OF THIS AND THE SCHOOL IS KEEPING YOUR TAX MONEY!!!

[quote}Regarding not teaching in kindergartens, as Craig says, children shouldn’t be put under that kind of pressure to learn a foreign language at that stage of their lives and, as Satellite TV says, the Taiwanese Education Department has ruled that children should concentrate on learning their mother tongue first - which is fair enough. I was talking to a Taiwanese woman the other day though. Now if I heard her correctly, she told me that most of the work foreign teachers do in private institutions is teaching 7 to 12 year old kids. I don’t have an education diploma so I can’t teach in public schools or universities. According to her, it’s very difficult to get work teaching older kids in Taiwan. I would prefer to teach older kids or adults as the vast majority of my 5 and a half years experience as a TEFL English language teacher has been teaching these age groups. Anyway, she said that the reason for this is that at older ages (say aged 12 and upwards), the preferred teaching strategy in Taiwan is to have Taiwanese teachers teach them grammar. However, for the younger age group of 7 to 12, the preferred teaching strategy in Taiwan calls for foreign native English speaking teachers to teach them and converse with them and get them fluent in the language.[/quote]

Umm… okay, if you feel that way about kindergarten, why ask? Most kids in TW are under too much pressure as it is, and whomever you end up teaching will be in the same boat. Older kids don’t necessarily “prefer” the Taiwanese method, but it’s about getting good test scores rather than actually learning the language, so that’s what a lot of them end up doing.

To clear up another issue, although you can legally teach at more than one school without permission from the schools, some schools stipulate in their contracts that you can’t, so that they can “own” your time if they open up a new class or whatever.

Private students in coffee shops etc. are generally safe bets (there’s no bribe money being paid, so nobody will benefit from the threat, and there’s no proof in any case), and it’s easy to get gigs once you’ve built a reputation for yourself. Just don’t ask too little, or people will be suspicious; why aren’t you worth more?

I disagree. If they’re not deducting tax then you are likely working there illegally. Before I got my JFRV my second school (for which I had a work permit) deducted tax. Obviously the government was aware of it, because I got tax receipts from them every year. My second school was obviously not on my ARC as they didn’t sponsor my ARC, but only applied for a second work permit.

I disagree. If they’re not deducting tax then you are likely working there illegally. Before I got my JFRV my second school (for which I had a work permit) deducted tax. Obviously the government was aware of it, because I got tax receipts from them every year. My second school was obviously not on my ARC as they didn’t sponsor my ARC, but only applied for a second work permit.[/quote]

Okay, maybe I’ve been misinformed; I didn’t think a school could get you a work permit without intending to be listed on your ARC… good to know, though.

I was actually referring to a school minus a work permit or ARC; some will attempt to deduct “tax” from newbies, but never report it to the government.

Please if you want to give serious advise this isnt it. What is the OP going to do, ask a propective boss …

“psst I hear you need to pay off the cops so I can work is that right?”

You can get 2nd and 3rd work permits for other part time schools. Been like that for over 5 years, and regardless you don’t need another schools permission.

Thank you all for your replies.

[quote=“CraigTPE”]
Although to work directly in primary and secondary schools, you need to be a credentialed teacher in your home country, many private schools (not cram schools, but private elementary, junior/senior high schools) get native English teachers from schools like TLI. I worked 4 years in a private jr/sr high school through a contract with TLI (Taipei Language Institute). [/quote]

Thanks for letting me know about TLI. I sent them an e-mail. My understanding is that without a teaching diploma, I cannot teach in any public primary or secondary school or any university. Are you saying that I can work in these schools indirectly through another school like Taipei Language Institute?

I’ve got this interview later today with American Eagle Institute. Anyone heard of them? How are they? I think they saw my details on esldewey and they e-mailed me. They have their ad on esldewey here:

http://www.esldewey.com.tw/jobdetail.php?Detail_ID=1984

They write, " We are looking for the Kindergarten/Elementary teacher with creativity, energy, and enthusiasm.".

Now all you guys are saying that I mustn’t touch kindergartens with a broomstick or I’ll be deported. This school has the nerve to even write in the job description that they are looking for a “Kindergarten/Elementary teacher”.

If you click on the link above, you can read the job description and details. What do you think of this job?

In Taiwan, kindergartens are for 4 to 7 year olds? Elementary school is for 7 to 12 year olds? Junior High School would be for maybe 12 to 15? and Senior High School is between 15 and 18?

Are there third level institutions I can apply to work in? Universities are out obviously because I don’t have an education diploma. Any third level institutions I can work in where I won’t be teaching business English? I frankly do not want to teach business English. I have no real experience teaching it.

The vast majority of my 5 and a half years’ experience as a TEFL teacher has been teaching young adults. I’d prefer to teach the 18+ years old age group. But, it seems that would be all teaching business English. If push comes to shove, I’ll teach the 7 to 12 year olds and the 12 to 18 year olds. I certainly don’t want to teach in Kindergarten because 1) I am simply unable to teach young kids under 7 years old anyway and 2) because it’s illegal to do so in Taiwan and I’ll be unceremoniously booted out of the country.

There probably isn’t a law against advertising for native English speaking teachers for Kindy, just don’t get caught teaching there.

Yes, TLI places teachers in several private elementary, junior and senior high schools around Taipei city and county. They also do in-house classes for all ages. It’s not likely that you’d be able to walk into one of TLI’s gigs at a private school, though, because they are pretty choice, providing steady block hours. You might have to do some time doing in-house classes first. If you are interested, you should go there and talk to someone, not just send an e-mail. DISCLAIMER: I’m not necessarily recommending TLI as a good place to work. It’s not a bad place to work, just watch out for your own interests, which is probably good advice no matter where you work. In the 4-years I worked for them, I had 4 different managers, only one of whom treated people fairly and she didn’t last long. Like most schools, there is a high turnover, with a few long-timers.

Another place you might be able to work with older students, but not necessarily business English, would be Global Village. I’ve never worked there, but I understand it’s pretty laid back and lower-than-average pay.

Not likely you would ever get a university gig without at least a Masters.

I presume children of ages 4 to 7 are children of Kindergarten age in Taiwan? Is it possible that it is legal to teach children of those ages in a school that also teaches older children? It is only illegal to teach in a school that is exclusively a Kindergarten? The advertisement I mentioned in my previous post stated that the school was looking for a “Kindergarten/Elementary teacher”.

As opposed to public elementary, junior and senior high schools?

Do you have their website? Or their contact details? I did a search on google just now and I can’t find a website.

Don’t teach any Kindy classes. Period. Doesn’t matter if it’s an exclusively Kindy Cram school or otherwise.

Correct. Private schools are very common here. In general, private elementary and junior highs are considered better prep for the high school entrance exam. Public education here is only guaranteed through junior high. To get into a public high school, you have to pass a test. Private high schools are generally considered lower quality than public as this is where all the kids go who couldn’t test highly enough to get into public high school. Same is true of public vs private universities here. (Of course with all the usual exceptions.) Many private schools get native English speaking teachers as additional marketing tools (in my opinion). If you have teaching credentials from your home country, or if you are a permanent resident or JFRV holder with an open work permit allowing you to work any kind of job you want, the school can hire you directly, otherwise, they use cram schools like TLI who will process your work permit and ARC.

gvo.com.tw/

Well if you work at Hess’s kindergarten you really don’t have to worry.

Not to mention that the job Craig is talking about is also technically illegal and if caught you would be deported as well.

Foreigners on an ARC cannot legally work in a high school without a teacher’s crudential from their home country.

Well if you work at Hess’s kindergarten you really don’t have to worry.

Not to mention that the job Craig is talking about is also technically illegal and if caught you would be deported as well.

Foreigners on an ARC cannot legally work in a high school without a teacher’s crudential from their home country.[/quote]
Why wouldn’t one have to worry working in a Hess Kindy?

And you are right, teaching at a private school via the method I described is technically also illegal. However, have you ever heard of anyone having a problem with it? I never have, not even one single incidence, nor has anyone else I know. It’s very common and has been going on for years (decades?). The only reason I know of why private schools turn either to APRC/JFRV open-work-permit holders or to places like TLI is because that way they don’t have to process the paperwork for a work permit, which as you accurately point out would require teaching crudentials [sic].

Additionally, according to the letter of the law, you are only supposed to work at the address on your ARC. That doesn’t stop TLI, or any number of other institutions, sending trainers/teachers to schools and businesses to conduct classes. Interestingly, one of TLI’s customers for this service is the Taipei City government.

Cram schools are on the NIA’s hit list, not private schools.

I think some of the kindergartens get around the law by registering as an ancinban for younger learners. This means that they cannot cook their own food or have school buses. FWIW

I don’t know if it has been implemented but the new law would make it illegal to teach children under six at a buxiban.

Have you ever heard of a HESS kindergarten teacher getting busted?

It depends if we are talking about the law or where one can teach practically without getting busted.

I thought it was already illegal. Don’t all children under 6 in Taiwan go to Kindergarten?

I think the job interview I went to yesterday was for one of those, an ancinban.

Job description here:

http://www.esldewey.com.tw/jobdetail.php?Detail_ID=1984

I’ve been told that ancinban is a place younger kids go after kindergarten and first grade of elementary school finishes for the day. Buxiban means a cram school for kids older than this?