Teaching in Taiwan vs. teaching in China

With an employer sponsored ARC you can only legally work at the business address that is on your ARC. Perhaps you can have multiple schools sponsor you. That would be hard considering most ARC granting jobs are going to have scheduling conflicts.

More than one address can be listed on an ARC.

OK. So if the OP can find multiple ARC granting jobs, then he can get more hours legally. Not an easy task without teaching kindergarten, which is illegal.

Buxiban teacher can get a second work permit for shorter hours than the primary ARC sponsoring job.

Wondering if someone could expand on this? It seems I keep hearing two things…

A) Its getting hard to find a teaching job.

B) Show up, do some interviews, and you’ll find a job.

My school seems to still hire first-year teachers and it’s not a bad buxiban gig. I still see plenty of notices on Tealit. Just wondering if someone could share some insight on this.

A: not really. More like it is getting hard to find a well paying teaching job. Many schools have lowered the benefits and salary.

B: yes, pretty much true.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, why is the discussion on forumosa always teaching China vs. Taiwan. Why is going to hk not an option ?

I know a handful of persons doing teaching in hk, the salaries are around 50-60k hkd, which would be around 200k ntd plus housing benefits.

1 Like

I know three or four people teaching in HK some make about that, and some a little less. Set up costs are high though so you’d need a chunk of cash to get going there.

What setup costs? You mean deposit on the apartment, or ?

Yea I guess you’d be looking at a deposit, one months living + emergency fund. Maybe a total of 100,000 HK in the bank to be safe?

I doubt that much, if you are just getting started.

You can get a decent apartment outside of the city centre for 8K, so two months deposit and one month in advance would be 24K. Plus one month expenses is around 15K, so you can manage with around 55K total.

But, obviously you cannot get a visa unless you have secured a job offer in advance. People dont just show up in HK looking for jobs and then hoping to get a visa, you will get the visa and the job prior to arriving.

Not sure if the set up costs are that much higher in HK compared to TW/CN as a proportion of your expected salary.

Yea as a proportion of salary the set up costs are no higher, but its just that the salary and costs are all about double what they would be in Taiwan due to the high rent.

I was basing my estimate on 15 - 20,000 for rent. Not sure what kind of place you can get for 8K in HK when that is more or less what you’d pay for a nice apartment in Shenzhen.

8k will get you a clean 350sq ft furnished apartment in New Territories, e.g Lamma island or Mui wo(on Lantau), which is 20-30 minutes from central with ferry.

1 Like

Both, beautiful spots, didn’t realize the rent was so low there.

Where can one get an 8k apartment? Everything on any housing website is easily twice that number for the size.

Regarding Taiwan, it’s really about what you’re willing to put yourself through. I cringe seeing adults desperate for cram school work. I’d never want to be in that position. But to each their own. Some people have great experiences. I’ll tell you this. With a license I have a stable salary with about 11 weeks of paid vacation a year. I’ve paid my dues, though, but I sure as hell wouldn’t be here for 60k a month with 2 weeks off a year!

Here are some 700sq ft and 350sq ft apartments on the areas I mentioned. The 350 usually a bit more expensive per sq ft

gohome does not list village houses, so you wouldn’t find them there. You need to go to the village you want to stay in and ask around, or check FB.

34%20PM07%20PM23%20PM

They are there all right, I searched and found some on this site. Hong Kong Rental, For Lease, Latest Property listing | 28Hse

To commute from Lantau … doesn’t sound very appealing at all.

All the 8k apartment are 100-150 square ft.

A lot of people commute from Lantau, its a super common and very convenient. You take the ferry to central.

The ferry arrives next to the star ferry, and in the evening you can grab some beers for the ride back home.

The ferry ride is 20-30 minutes depending from where you commute, and you can sit the whole way(they dont over sell the seats).