Tech workers who flocked to Taiwan’s Covid-free haven are now fleeing

How do you want to group people? FANG employees? Business owners? Entertainment industry execs? Heirs and trust fund kiddos? Celebrities and influencers?

Drive through places like Beverly Hills, Malibu, Calabasas, Ross, Los Altos, Atherton, Portola Valley, etc. and you’ll realize that people who work for someone else and have household income well in the 6 figures are doing good but they are nowhere close to being among the “most privileged” people on the planet.

LA and SF each have over 5,000 residents who are worth over $30 million a piece. If you count second residences, over 16,000 people worth over $30 million own a home in LA.

https://www.livabl.com/2021/02/la-ultra-high-net-worth-homeowners.html

Finally, as I mentioned, calling someone “privileged” just because they’re part of an arbitrary group of people who have a high median household incomes totally ignores the fact that how you’re treated by society is not just based on how much you make and how much education you’ve had. Sadly, the color of your skin, your culture and where people think you’re from influence how many people will treat you.

Just look at the dating market.

Does this sound like “most privileged”?

Agreed! I think TW should create a special program for all expats who stay in TW through the outbreak. Those who don’t get COVID will be eligible for the COVID SILVER CARD and those who catch COVID and survive will get the COVID GOLD CARD. Those who do a stint in a hospital will get the COVID GOLD JADE CARD.

2 Likes

Did you get to know any of them?

Weren’t all of us at one point just travelers until we found a reason to stay?

3 Likes

But Asian women are really popular, do does that even it out across the Asian demographic as privilege neutral when it comes to horizontal jogging?

2 Likes

No

Well, Asian women also have to deal with a lot of nasty comments and objectification so I’m not sure the attention they get is always welcome.

Sounds like an extravagant mooch pretending to be Burroughs or Maugham.

Oh, I just meant economic and wasn’t sure how you were grouping. Thought you meant relative to other race/ethnic/national original groups overall. I had to look up FANG, so no help there :slight_smile:

I’m replying to the Asian guys stereotyped link you posted.

This last 2 weeks of homeschooling has been an eye opener for me. I doubt very much that my kids will ever have a problem with dating. Every single time the classes start and the cameras open there’s a number of girls that all comment and say my kids are handsome. I just hope it doesn’t go to their heads too early and that they continue doing the hard work, both physically and scholastically, so that they have better opportunities in life than what was available for me.

Quite a few of my female Asian friends in the US, UK, and Australia have shared their experiences of outright racism with me. The stuff they cop is unbelievable. And it doesn’t matter where they come from, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam. I mean I get that there’s white people that like Asian chicks but the shit they’ve shown me, comments directed at them, has been pretty stomach churning.

Then there’s Asian guys abusing them too. All because they went on a date with a white guy. They can’t win either way.

1 Like

I have a number of ABC friends in SoCal who are now happily married but who faced constant rejection from women in college even though they were good looking, fit and come from well to do families.

I don’t think it’s a secret that Asian-American men on the whole get the short end of the stick in the US dating game, and the studies that have been done on this topic show it empirically. Obviously, on an individual basis, YMMV.

In any case, we’re a bit off on a tangent with anecdotes. I was just making the point that Taiwanese-Americans and Canadians are not inherently among the “most privileged people” on the entire planet simply because they have a median household income of around $100,000 and a high level of educational attainment.

Sadly, race plays a big role in how people perceive and treat you, regardless of how much money you have or where you got your degree.

2 Likes

no doubt they are the “most privileged people” on the entire planet.

2 Likes

So a poor out of shape white guy gets treated better than a upper middle class Asian? I don’t think so.

Seems like you are saying you can’t generalise about Asians but you can about whites.

Or are you saying nobody is privileged?

They got constant rejection in college? That is the life of a man.

4 Likes

Where did I say anything about whites? I stated:

Sadly, race plays a big role in how people perceive and treat you, regardless of how much money you have or where you got your degree.

:roll_eyes:

I think we’ll just have to agree to disagree about what it means to be among the “most privileged” people on the planet.

Keep TW great again! Keep uber privileged ABTs and digital nomads out!

So what race are you talking about?

born in US or Canada, you are already half privileged on the planet.

Have ever been TW great?

No need to keep them out, but no need of red carpet to bring them in too.

1 Like

WW2 was supposed to bring in a new age of equality. Those in power used their time to ensure those that have continue to have more. That’s no secret. What most people don’t understand is how much was changed over the 90s to try and prevent those in the lower classes from gaining access to better education (and life outcomes) due to the hard work and effort they put in. In other words the merit aspect was taken out of the equation.

I’m very much not a religious person. The scariest thing I see happening right now is the infiltration of politics by religious groups. Particularly Pentecostal and their profit above all else and how it’s tied to the subjugation of the environment and their belief that us humans aren’t capable of interfering in their deities grand plan.

Unfortunately we are a long long way from understanding we are all humans (a type of animal capable of higher reasoning apparently) on the same planet.

1 Like

Depends on how you define “most privileged”. The top 8 million people on the planet would be in the top 0.1 percent. The top 800 million would still be in the top 10 percent.