Technology that needs to die

Dear Technology Industry,

Please stop with the items on the following list:-

• 16:10 aspect ratio displays
  • Containerisation
  • Electron apps
  • VR headsets
  • Bluetooth-only audio on “desktop” machines
  • USB charging. Give me ROUND power connectors.
  • Unreal Engine
  • Calling an over-engineered turd “AI” and selling it to the gullible.
  • Cryptocurrency
  • SSDs that whistle when in use
  • Java
  • Thick taskbar/title bars in OS GUIs
  • Debian Linux variants
  • Building cults based on preachings of some egomaniac surrounding a particular system, ideology, or programming language.
  • Amazon
  • Calling a software product “open source” but only if you register and then the code is still under a restrictive proprietary licence which means you can’t modify or use any part of it.
  • Microservices
  • Emergency automatic braking
3 Likes

You crazy there. My Subaru had it. It wasn’t a pain in the ass at all, and saved us from a fender bender or two when I was distracted taking in the view or not texting on my phone.

2 Likes

Agreed.

I would also add social media (esp. Twitter and TikTok). And Tesla.

1 Like

You don’t like solar panels?

Fucking Tinder and related metastatic tumours definitely, and how it has become in consensus the one and only method of meeting someone in a romantic manner. Burn that shit back to the fresh hell it came from.

4 Likes

In the States, I assume? Yeah would probably work alright there. Not in the UK, or Japan, or anywhere the roads were designed by four-legged farm creatures.

2 Likes

Yes. But I could have used it on Highway 1 the other night. Especially in the stretches of bumper to bumper. It should be mandatory in Taiwan!

Containers have a place and are exciting and useful in that place. Debian is my preferred Linux but yeah I do not need any variants of it.

2 Likes

Some of your points I agree with, some I don’t have a particular feeling for,

But the ones I disagree:

I’m not sure if you mean it’s to narrow or to “high”.
I rather would prefer up to 4:3 than the narrow 16:9 (or 21:9 on the newer ones)
Especially for browsing the internet or doing work!

One connector to rule them all, much less cables needed!

2 Likes

Desktop computers don’t have USB-C for some reason. I’m wanting a new case because of that. I heard it’s because motherboard connectors are literally incapable of supplying the necessary currents USB-C demands.

Yup.

Raspberry Pi OS and no others!

1 Like

I have it in Taiwan together with Adaptive Cruise Control in Honda CR-V. I does work well - never triggered in any rural areas.
It is pretty much a warning in my case. Never had it actually brake.

Containerisation - no
I had to LD_PRELOAD to resolve libc conflict between Anaconda matplot and VS Code in Ubuntu 22 and this was one of many times I had to do it (CAD software)

1 Like

Recently I asked work for an external keyboard for my laptop. They gave me this tinny white thing not much bigger than my palm with a narrow lightning port. I said, “could I also please have the doohickey whatsit to plug this thing in?” Colleague replies, oh I don’t think we provide those. I said, oh I just need my manager to sign something yeah? They said, no I don’t think it’s something our company provides. I replied, in suitably circuitous and indirect office code, to the effect, “Well how the fuck do I connect this piece of fucking shit to my fucking laptop?”. They replied, “you have to buy it”.

2 Likes

As a Java developer, I think the language is fine. The issue is the developers and the community. People are getting worse at writing it. It’s very much monkey see monkey do with little thought for how things work together. OOP has gone out the window in favor of procedural bullshit due to principles people misinterpret. I understand there’s a place and time for everything…but people don’t have a good grasp of using the tools the language provides. I could go on all day but I’ll stop here.

I thought this already died.

2 Likes

same on my Lexus, it is just super annoying at my garage, since the entrance is slightly bumpy, every time when entering it triggers the auto-breaks. That’s, otherwise I like it. (I can agree the alerts sometimes r stupid and annoying)

1 Like

Too much nuance for it to be allowed to die.

Open source it instead.

Sounds like coil whine to me.

Leave my Windows 95 taskbar alone!

No. I like Debian Linux.

hear hear.

yet you don’t even mention microtransactions?

Love Tinder. Made getting action easy.

Plenty of desktops have USB-C and support USB-C. What are you talking about?

I’m using one with USB-C right now. It’s from 2017.

5 Likes

I don’t like Elon Musk and would love to see him bankrupt and imprisoned.

3 Likes

Yes, I have noticed he triggers you. It’s a shame he has no idea you exist. I’d love to see you two work out your issues with him. Live. I’d pay good money to watch. Really.

1 Like

I mean USB c headers on motherboard. I’m wanting it because USB a can’t charge a modern phone at all. It would either charge very slowly or not at all. My motherboard doesn’t have a USB c headers, just USB 2.0 and 3.0. I’m not sure how desktop cases work, never really bothered buying new cases.