Technology that needs to die

Yes this has been a thing for many years. And upgradeable.

I don’t like dating apps but they are not nearly as grotesque as misinformation hotbeds like Twitter and TikTok. Those two need to be banned.

1 Like

I used it as my “daily driver” from 2007 to 2022, installations just seem to rot and then apt-get wants to uninstall everything and then can’t reinstall itself and you’re left with a broken system. See, that’s how old I am, I use apt-get and not apt :smiley:

Not a complete list! Open to additions, and yes, agreed. Definitely.

Have you seen GNOME? When using something like VS Code, the top two inches of the screen are taken up by taskbars.

Syntax yes, but the JVM can be flaky and causes glitches in the apps.

The internet. Obviously it’s impossible, but it’s turning people’s brains to mush.

It’s a shame, because it’s such a fantastic development.

2 Likes

I’d argue that those people’s brains would have mush regardless.

Florida wants to ban under 16s from social media. I think that’s great. Make it like weed in the old days, hiding behind the garage playing cwazy cupcakes!

2 Likes

big sigh

My company is weird like that too. We get a wired keyboard and mouse (grimy and old) but no headset. And I do not know how anybody would get by without a headset since we need it to have meetings. We do not get a laptop bag either. My current laptop also did not come with a docking station. We are supposed to use the new monitor for that. The new monitor only supports 60Hz so I put it to the side for my old monitor. The old monitor at least does 74Hz so my eyes do not get red.

You might be interested in this:

4 Likes

You sound like my friend, who asked for a computer mouse. Was given $10 in her payslip to buy one. For her work laptop, which is a MacBook. Try buying a Mac-compatible mouse for $10.

@Marco do we want a “show us yer desktop/forumosa battlestation” thread or is there doxxing/security concerns? I think it’d be pretty cool.

Nothing wrong with it. Those that don’t want to won’t. Presumably.

Don’t buy apple, says everyone for every related issue like that :rofl:

Let’s add banning apple from this list.

2 Likes

Have you tried Bluetooth? It sounds like a wireless keyboard to me.

You can get a USB Type-C PCIe card if your motherboard has a slot available.

But what about PD? I think that is what TL was asking about.

USB-C can do 65 watts or more on power delivery. I struggle to think motherboard connectors are rated for this. Yes we got GPU needing more power, and surprise, they need separate power supply connectors, and CPU has their own dedicated power connector too.

The correct response from a Taiwanese towards Musk. Far too many Teslas here, the guy openly talks about how Taiwan should be handed over to China. And Taiwanese are buying his shit up in mass. Dumb.

1 Like

16:10 sucks on small screens, is good on larger.

can seriously rock.

why?

has its place.

nope. 1 plug to rule then all rocks.

still has its place after all these years, despite the haters.

despite being horrible in many ways, still just gets it more than others in a few key areas.

example?

this is a good thing for all the dumbass drivers. not for me though. :wink:

Containers are nice though, but a pain to figure out esp in the beginning.

I’ve only really played with Debian (Ubuntu and Raspberry). I don’t venture too far :frowning:

Microservices: Well… Amazon agrees…
Best of 2023: Microservices Sucks — Amazon Goes Back to Basics - DevOps.com.

3 Likes