Teleoperated Deskoid Robotic Communication PC

[color=red]Moderator’s note: Transplanted from business and money, after a sojourn in the flounder bin. Feel free to throw it away if it’s no use to you.[/color]

Here is a business venture that may seemed rather far fetched…
:loco:
Anyway, the link…
funkycoldamoeba.blogspot.com
It is basically a double-decker PC case with wheels…
If you have any contact with any PC hardware makers in Taiwan, please let me know. I am also looking for business partners in Taiwan.
Here is the related website in Chinese,
deskoid.blogspot.com

My biggest question:

Why?

Any reason not to put this one in the flounder bin?

:notworthy: with that enthusiasm, why don’t we all go to the upcoming robotic conference at
www.robonexus.com ?

OK, now he’s definitely looking like a spammer.

Especially considering that conference is in the US. “Why don’t we all go”? Hell, let me just get out my wallet and buy a ticket to the US now then!

It’s pretty funny. Imagine going to the trouble of building a high-tech gizmo like that but when you actually try to use it, you have to shove a high-tech telephone directory under one corner to stop it rocking back and forth. :laughing:
Balance an expensive computer on two wheels. Way to go, Einstein. :unamused:

[quote=“sandman”]It’s pretty funny. Imagine going to the trouble of building a high-tech gizmo like that but when you actually try to use it, you have to shove a high-tech telephone directory under one corner to stop it rocking back and forth. :laughing:
Balance an expensive computer on two wheels. Way to go, Einstein. :unamused:[/quote]

Actually two more smaller wheels are hidden at both front and rear. The illustrations are mostly for conceptual representation purpose, the actual product may differ.

[quote=“Tetsuo”]My biggest question:

Why?[/quote]

Your response is rather typical…
It is unlikely for innovation of any kind to gain wide acceptance at first. Back in the old days, even electricity seemed like a crazy idea.

[quote=“Tetsuo”]OK, now he’s definitely looking like a spammer.

Especially considering that conference is in the US. “Why don’t we all go”? Hell, let me just get out my wallet and buy a ticket to the US now then![/quote]

Let’s not take my suggestion too literally, but an event like that does indicates human’s destiny from a technological perspective. Physical attendence is not the only form of participation.

[quote=“technobabel”][quote=“Tetsuo”]My biggest question:

Why?[/quote]

Your response is rather typical…
It is unlikely for innovation of any kind to gain wide acceptance at first. Back in the old days, even electricity seemed like a crazy idea.[/quote]

I’m still not seeing the point. If you want a portable computer, why not just get a laptop? They’re just as powerful as desktops these days, and pretty affordable.

I’m not saying it’s crazy, just that it seems pointless, like left-handed screwdrivers.

[quote=“Tetsuo”]

I’m still not seeing the point. If you want a portable computer, why not just get a laptop? They’re just as powerful as desktops these days, and pretty affordable.

I’m not saying it’s crazy, just that it seems pointless, like left-handed screwdrivers.[/quote]

Comparing a laptop with a Deskoid Robotic PC is almost like comparing a F14 Tomcat fighter jet with an air craft carrier. If laptop is really that useful, the Mars Rover would be a laptop but it is not. The robotic desk is made to carry stuff like laptop, camera, pda, iPod, speakers and etc. In a semi controlled environment it will carry a camera to a particular spot and points the camera in a particular direction, takes a picture…and instantly sends the picture via email. This is practice isn’t totally new. Various hobbyist robots have done so. Mars rover is an extreme example. what I am suggesting is an version of Mars rover that had been modified to be use as an ultimate communication tools among people on Earth, sort of like a robotic mobile videoconference machine. It takes videoconference to another level. That is the future of long distance communication.

Are you stoned? Are you seriously trying to draw a parallel between your electronic desk and a Mars rover?

OK, I can see that. But still - why? What conceivable purpose does a giant rolling camera have to 99.9% of the population?

Why would you need a mobile videoconferencing machine? And if you do, once again - laptop + webcam = mobile videoconferencing.

I still don’t see the point. The Mars rover had a point - they couldn’t send a dude with a camera up there, so they used the rover.

You’ve explained the idea well, and thank you for that. But could you explain why anyone would buy one?

Why would anyone buy an Aibo? Because it’s there and because they can. There’s a lot of people out there with more money than sense.

True, it’s not about usefulness or functionality, it’s about how well they’re marketed. I should’ve thought of that.

The Amish lifestyle works just “fine” but you don’t see bus loads of people signing up for the program. Also who needs all those features in Microsoft office? What about LV bags and Tiffany diamond rings, does the price of those items justify their usefulness? It is a material world after all.

And I’m a material girl.

Sorry, it had to be said. :blush:

Robotic desk is design to be use just like a rover. Don’t you see the obvious similarities? They are both camera carrying computer on wheels, except Mars rover aren’t very “deskish”

The giant rolling camera becomes the eye away from everybody’s physcal body. If such mechanical contraption proliferates, every robotic desk connected camera becomes a robotic camera server. Before the era of PC, even the experts are skeptical on the purpose of a PC in a domestic settings. Took a relative short time for people to realize PC’s usefulness. Robotic PC is just a more feature-rich PC. Adding functionalities to a PC had been a continuous trend, why resist?

Take the wheel-chair away from Prof. Stephen Hawking, see how mobile he feels. Let’s not confuse mobility with portability

Likewise, in a human’s limited life time, there are many places that we all wish to go visit but can’t. Wouldn’t it be nice if we can share each other’s Deskoid Earth Rover?

You’ve explained the idea well, and thank you for that. But could you explain why anyone would buy one?[/quote]

The giant rolling camera becomes the eye away from everybody’s physcal body. If such mechanical contraption proliferates, every robotic desk connected camera becomes a robotic camera server. Before the era of PC, even the experts are skeptical on the purpose of a PC in a domestic settings. Took a relative short time for people to realize PC’s usefulness. Robotic PC is just a more feature-rich PC. Adding functionalities to a PC had been a continuous trend, why resist? [/quote]
Yes, adding functionality to PCs has been and is a continuing trend. But this is just gimmickry. Why would 99% of the population of Earth need an “eye away from [their] physical body”? Can you give any practical uses for this?

What? The difference between Hawking’s wheelchair and your computer desk on wheels is that he needs the wheelchair. You have yet to illustrate why anyone would even want your desk, let alone need one.

My question still stands.

If you can do a case mod with LV covering and a strap I am sold… :sunglasses:

And it’ll be every bit as useful.
Technobabble, check out a search on Clive Sinclair and his “revolutionary” C5. :laughing: