🎾 Tennis | Novak Djokovic at the Aussie Open

I once had a terrifying encounter with Aussie immigration at Brissie airport. And we’d only landed to refuel. Made us go through a security check and then started screaming at passengers who were slow to comply with instructions to do with hand luggage. Absolute arseholes.

3 Likes

Immigration and Security are separate. Its the latter that need a good kick in the rear - usually little training, short on people skills.

I have seen that with Security in many airports - lots of them seem to like being on a power trip.

Heathrow is an example, we went to Portugal a few years back and had to transfer terminals at Heathrow. Through security we go, partners bag was diverted to the ‘inspection lane’ (had an empty water bottle in it). The ‘inspector’ of the lane was a lady from the sub-continent, who initially ignored the bag, but then decided that she needed a coffee refill first - picks up cup, and wanders off down the end to the staff area for the refill, then wanders back, still ignoring the bag waiting. Was asked what the delay was and she ‘blew up’ when she found the empty bottle there, decided that it needed a rerun which went ok and it came out the normal way. We got out quick before we both blew our fuses.

1 Like

Soon he will back to his home sweet home in Monte Carlo, Monaco (where he lives only not to pay any taxes is Serbia)

1 Like

Yes, Monaco seems a popular abode for many Sportsmen.

He should face charges in Serbia too but pretty unlikely given that he’s a feckin hero there.

The other thing with Novak, and other ‘self-important’ people is that they have some other person fill out the declaration form - which was the case on this occasion. But the onus is on Novak to make sure the details are correct as its his posterior that is on the line.

So the first knockback was in regard to his Vaccination Exemption - which he won on appeal.
The second one probably would not have happened except that details leaked out and then the press investigated his movements over the past 14 days which were at odds with the declaration. Immigration trusted his answers, and approved the declaration before he arrived, but then when the press spoke they had little choice to have a second look.

1 Like

play stupid games, win stupid prizes

At least won’t go back empty handed :trophy:

1 Like

Just as well that I don’t have a wish to travel to Serbia - I would be cancelling the trip.

I was looking up Vaccination Levels for Taiwan vs some other countries and couldn’t help noticing that Serbia has only 48% with one dose and 47% with two. Seems that its not just Novak that is a Vaccination sceptic.

1 Like

I had good service at Aussie immigration (almost all now e-gates ) longest being Perth, once in SYD, out the plane (Scoot Air) to e-gate, a g’day mate from customs, and on the train within 15 minutes. AKL it is where I have wait sometimes if I do not get the green lane at customs. But now all a moot point as it seems e gates may not be in use.

I got red flagged arriving in Wellington once on a UK passport with lots of south East Asian stamps. Shit was going off till I pointed out I was actually at school with one of the lads. Never seen immigration officers deflate so rapidly.

Vaccination rate is low all over former Warsaw Pact countries. It’s grim.

1 Like

I remember Aussies had a reputation for being rugged individualists, not the mewling quislings they’ve become.

2 Likes

48% is low? Look at Bulgaria. It’s 28.3% fully vaccinated. And Bulgaria is EU country (in opposite to Serbia) so it had access to vaccines at the same time as other Western countries. Even second highest death rate (per capita) doesn’t convince them…

1 Like

It appears they like to be governed hard since most fell in line . Like most of Canada, France, Italy, the EU

It seems that Novak is once again enjoying lodgings at the dubiously named Park Hotel. Stand by for the next episode in the saga.

That grim-faced photo of Novak could—and perhaps should—be turned into a meme.

Who is up to it? :rofl:

Guy

And he can even have his day in court on a Sunday too - money buys lots of things.

I’ve never been a big fan of him, but this is horrible for the game of tennis.

It’s a shame that one needs to purchase a mere chance at basic decency and justice. It’s a real indictment of Australia.

4 Likes