🎾 Tennis | Novak Djokovic at the Aussie Open

Yup, I don’t feel hate toward people that are ‘playing the system’ so to speak when the system is so dysfunctional as it is today

2 Likes

I remember McEnroe getting defaulted. Supposedly he was stunned because he wasn’t aware of a recent rule change as to how many warnings a player could get.

Cynical bugger, but fantastic player.

I’m inclined to defend Djokovic, even though I think he’s an arrogant twat. Denying somebody the right of employment, even a multimillionaire, is awful.

I read a poster in another thread describing succinctly how we were originally told vaccinations would be optional, and many of us went and get jabbed. Then, when the majority of people had received a jab the authorities started using the stick on the minority who were refusing. It’s bullying, it’s immoral, it sets a scary precedent.

6 Likes

Yes, I looked it up today, surprised that it was 32 years ago !!! And yes, he thought he had 4 ‘strikes’ available, but it had been changed to 3 not long before.

1 Like

People at the top of their game often are. It sort of comes with the territory. But the law is supposed to be blind, and as you said this basically boils down to a right to employment. Whether you’re a twat or not shouldn’t have a bearing on whether you’re allowed to do your day job (although I concede this might be a good rule for politicians).

A few years ago the idea of making someone get a medical treatment that he doesn’t actually need as a condition for playing a game of tennis would have been considered … dystopian, or possibly just laughably stupid. And here we are in a world where people are ripping him to pieces for wanting to do something which is basically very ordinary and mundane without interference (even if he stands to get paid a lot of money for it).

“The court will reconvene at 5:45pm AEDT” - which is 2:45pm in Taiwan.
So in 15 minutes we may have a decision.

Yeah. It was much discussed before he arrived that he wasn’t vaccinated and therefore without a special exemption he wouldn’t get in. He also didn’t fill in his own visa documents and got someone else to do them.
He also went out twice while knowingly infected, meeting children and adults.

It’s entirely his fault. Rules are things people break. And then we judge them for doing so.

Go home Novak, you stupid prick.

1 Like

Well, as is common, I can’t tell if you’re being serious or sarcastic. I was just pointing out that, back in the days when the world was slightly less broken, we didn’t actually care if people went outside while they had the sniffles, or got on planes afterwards. And now we do; and furthermore it gives people an excuse to get on a moral high horse so ginormous that the Trojans would have been proud of it.

1 Like

He is out, deportation time!!!

“Novak Djokovic has lost his Federal Court fight to stay in Australia
His application has been dismissed”.

3 Likes

It’s best to assume I’m always being serious.
Getting in to Australia is notoriously difficult. Nothing has changed there. Take an undeclared apple to Australia? 250 dollar fine. No quibbling. Turn up with an iffy visa. Back you go.
Novak, furthermore, has now pushed the limits of civility by trying repeatedly to weasel his way in to Australia. I’ll be very surprised if they let him in.

The sniffles aren’t causing people to die, or possibly contract long term lung and heart conditions. No matter what people may choose to believe about Covid, it’s not the sniffles.

He can’t appeal any more, so he will leave as soon as he/they can get him on a flight. He came in on Emirates, so probably had a return ticket, which could quite possibly see him departing on EK409 to Dubai at 22:30 tonight (Melbourne time). No mention of the ‘3 year’ rule for deportees, but you can bet your life that the only way he would be able to come back inside that would include producing a Vaccination Certificate.

Now, will the French let him in for the French Open in May (Macron says he will ‘piss them off’ when he refers to the unvaccinated).

2 Likes

No matter what one chooses to believe about COVID, Novak does not present a risk to anybody. His “breaking quarantine” did not (and could not, not even in theory) have any material impact on the progress of the disease - and perhaps more importantly, it shouldn’t have any relevance to the issue of an Australian visa.

Of course the Australians are entitled to impose whatever border controls they like. But if those controls are fundamentally stupid, I’d suggest that the rest of the world has a duty to mock them without mercy, and not to indulge them.

2 Likes

Awesome news. He’s really done himself no favours.

2 Likes

I don’t see how yet another person being needlessly and gratuitously harmed is “awesome news”.

4 Likes

That’s on you, Finley old chap. Personally I’m delighted.
Isn’t life a queer old thing!

2 Likes

Well, explain it to me then. How has this judgement made the world a better place?

Without wishing to be personal, I honestly don’t think it would be possible to explain it to you. Your personal bias is so heavily confirmed at this point that I’m not sure it’s possible. I’d rather attempt to rob Fort Knox with a stick of butter. Stay well.

3 Likes

Ding dong the witch is dead.

2 Likes

That’s what I heard, he already had caught it and therefore had natural immunity, not perfect but regarded as better than the vaccine. Tests were done on people who caught the original SARS virus and they found they had strong immunity 20 years later.

Yet, there is minimal recognition of natural immunity or if there is they only count it for 6 months.

Some find that odd. Others are less questioning on why that is and just go along with the appeal from authority that everyone needs the vaccine.

3 Likes

Behrouz Boochani

“While Djokovic has a safe, comfortable life to return to, refugees who flee their homes only to be deported- are doubly persecuted. They cannot return safely. This is what it means to be a refugee.”

The saga has somewhat highlighted a far more important issue of the terrible inhuman treatment Australian authorities dish out to these wretched human beings.

1 Like