Test your New Testament knowledge

I’m just trying to hold up the bar here. Don’t call me a theologican.

Hey! I’ve just put an asterisk next to all my answers. Can’t wait to see what my score is!

1. What form did the Holy Spirit appear as when Jesus was baptized?
    A. lion
    B. eagle
    C. dove *
    D. griffin

2. Who was the prophetess who lived in the temple as a widow for 84 years before she recognized Jesus as the messiah?
    A. Sara*
    B. Anna
    C. Rachel
    D. Divea

3. Who saw the vision recorded in Revelation?
    A. John *
    B. Paul
    C. George
    D. Ringo

4. How many separate cases are there of Jesus healing blind people? (not total blind people healed)
    A. 1 or 2 *
    B. 3 or 4
    C. 5 or 6
    D. 7 or 8

5. As Jesus passed through Gennesaret, all those who touch his _______ were healed.
    A. feet
    B. hand
    C. clothes *
    D. donkey

6. What was the first miracle performed by Jesus?
    A. Raising Lazarus from the dead
    B. Healing 10 lepers on the border of Samaria and Galilee
    C. Changing water to wine *
    D. Multiplication of fish and bread

7. On how many occasions does Jesus call a dead person back to life? (Excluding himself)
    A. 2 *
    B. 3
    C. 4
    D. 6

8. Who was the apostle Jesus loved?
    A. John *
    B. Phillip
    C. Peter
    D. Jimi

9. According to Revelation, the streets of New Jerusalem are made of what?
    A. asphalt
    B. diamonds
    C. gold *
    D. frankincense and myrrh

10. According to Revelation, heaven is
    A. 1500 miles cubed *
    B. a perfect circle
    C. full of beautiful virgins
    D. hard to get to if you’re a camel or a rich man

And sorry to tell ya this, but it ain’t heaven that is 1500 miles cubed, it’s the New Jerusalem.

Good quiz zender. My answers.

1. What form did the Holy Spirit appear as when Jesus was baptized?
    A. lion
    B. eagle
    C. dove *
    D. griffin

2. Who was the prophetess who lived in the temple as a widow for 84 years before she recognized Jesus as the messiah?
    A. Sara
    B. Anna *
    C. Rachel
    D. Divea

3. Who saw the vision recorded in Revelation?
    A. John *
    B. Paul
    C. George
    D. Ringo

4. How many separate cases are there of Jesus healing blind people? (not total blind people healed)
    A. 1 or 2
    B. 3 or 4 * [this is difficult because it raises the synoptic problem, but one valid interpretation would be Matthew’s two blind men after Jesus raised Jairus’ daughter, Matthew’s blind and mute man, Matthew’s two blind men near Jericho/Mark’s blind man near Jericho, and Mark’s man at Bethsaida/John’s blind man who is thrown out of the synagogue; this makes 4]
    C. 5 or 6
    D. 7 or 8

5. As Jesus passed through Gennesaret, all those who touch his _______ were healed.
    A. feet
    B. hand
    C. clothes * [actually the hem of his tunic]
    D. donkey

6. What was the first miracle performed by Jesus?
    A. Raising Lazarus from the dead
    B. Healing 10 lepers on the border of Samaria and Galilee
    C. Changing water to wine * [at the wedding in Cana]
    D. Multiplication of fish and bread

7. On how many occasions does Jesus call a dead person back to life? (Excluding himself) [Jesus didn’t bring himself back to life]
    A. 2
    B. 3 * [the widow of Nain’s son, Jairus’ daughter, and Lazarus]
    C. 4
    D. 6

8. Who was the apostle Jesus loved?
    A. John *
    B. Phillip
    C. Peter
    D. Jimi

9. According to Revelation, the streets of New Jerusalem are made of what?
    A. asphalt
    B. diamonds
    C. gold *
    D. frankincense and myrrh

10. According to Revelation, heaven is
    A. 1500 miles cubed * [this isn’t actually heaven, it’s the ‘New Jerusalem’, also described as the ‘bride of Christ’]
    B. a perfect circle
    C. full of beautiful virgins
    D. hard to get to if you’re a camel or a rich man

This is great stuff! I love questions about things I read. When I first saw this thread i thought there’d be a spin, but to my happiness this was a fun quiz game! I bet none of you know who beat the steam shovel with just his bare hands?
A) Jesse Jackson
B) Zeus
C) John Henry
D) Henry Fonda
E) Duncan Sheik

[quote=“Paulinator”]This is great stuff! I love questions about things I read. When I first saw this thread i thought there’d be a spin, but to my happiness this was a fun quiz game! I bet none of you know who beat the steam shovel with just his bare hands?
A) Jesse Jackson
B) Zeus
C) John Henry
D) Henry Fonda
E) Duncan Sheik[/quote]

John Henry. That was a bit of an easy one.

[b]I feel rather than holdin’ up the bar, Charliephillips is lowering the bar. :neutral:

Dynaflow, you did very well. Yes, no, yes, no, yes, yes, no, yes, yes, yes.

Fortigurn did even better. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. (That’s ten)

Good catch on the Heaven vs. New Jerusalem. So, New Jerusaelm descended from heaven. Revelation 21:[/b]

1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

2 And I John saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

So New Jerusalem is like a bride for Jesus?

Then Rev 21 talks about the bad people and what happens to them.

8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

[b]I’m assuming that is a description of hell; not the New New York.

Then more description of New Jerusalem, which was measured with a golden reed.[/b]

9 And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb’s wife.

10 And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,

11 Having the glory of God: and her light [was] like unto a stone most precious, even like a jasper stone, clear as crystal;

12 And had a wall great and high, [and] had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are [the names] of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel:

13 On the east three gates; on the north three gates; on the south three gates; and on the west three gates.

14 And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

15And he that talked with me had a golden reed to measure the city, and the gates thereof, and the wall thereof.

16 And the city lieth foursquare, and the length is as large as the breadth: and he measured the city with the reed, twelve thousand furlongs. The length and the breadth and the height of it are equal.

17 And he measured the wall thereof, an hundred [and] forty [and] four cubits, [according to] the measure of a man, that is, of the angel.

18 And the building of the wall of it was [of] jasper: and the city [was] pure gold, like unto clear glass.

19 And the foundations of the wall of the city [were] garnished with all manner of precious stones. The first foundation [was] jasper; the second, sapphire; the third, a chalcedony; the fourth, an emerald;

20 The fifth, sardonyx; the sixth, sardius; the seventh, chrysolite; the eighth, beryl; the ninth, a topaz; the tenth, a chrysoprasus; the eleventh, a jacinth; the twelfth, an amethyst.

21 And the twelve gates [were] twelve pearls; every several gate was of one pearl: and the street of the city [was] pure gold, as it were transparent glass.

22 And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.

23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb [is] the light thereof.

Wow! There is a lot in Rev 21! The detail is amazing! I like the way King James has “shewed” for showed. I’m not sure who (verse 15) “he that talked with me” is, but it seems to be the measurer with the golden reed. It is lower case “he”, so is it an angel? :ponder:

kingjamesbibleonline.org/boo … 1&verse=15

OK I messed up the heaven part. To attone, I’ll add these questions about heaven.

1. In Revelation, how many wings do each of the four praising beasts in heaven have?
    A. 6
    B. 8
    C. 10
    D. 12

And

1. In heaven, how many elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him, and cast their crowns before the throne?
    A. Four score and seven
    B. Twelve
    C. Six and thirty
    D. Four and twenty

Wow, that’s good; I was expecting to get at least one wrong. The question about the blind men is easily the most difficult; with regard to the resurrections, people tend to forget about the son of the widow of Nain.

It’s an image for the faithful, who are referred to collectively as the bride of Christ.

Nope, not a description of hell; on the contrary, both hell and death are cast into the lake of fire. It’s a metaphor for absolute destruction.

It borrows heavily from the temple imagery in Ezekiel 40-48, an exilic prophecy about the return of the Jews from Babylon. The symbolism in Revelation 21 is dependent on Old Testament symbolism; note the multiples of twelve and seven for example, and references to the twelve tribes.

The case won’t help, but yes it’s an angel (see verse 9).

[quote]
OK I messed up the heaven part. To attone, I’ll add these questions about heaven.

1. In Revelation, how many wings do each of the four praising beasts in heaven have?
    A. 6
    B. 8
    C. 10
    D. 12[/quote]

Six. They’re cherubim; see the cherubim referred to in the construction of the Tabernacle in Exodus, the construction of the Temple in 1 Kings, and the cherubim in the divine throne room in Ezekiel’s prophecy (the throne room scene in Revelation 4 is based on the throne room scenes in Ezekiel 1 and 10).

[quote]And

1. In heaven, how many elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him, and cast their crowns before the throne?
    A. Four score and seven
    B. Twelve
    C. Six and thirty
    D. Four and twenty[/quote]

Four and twenty; twelve times the twelve tribes.

I got 7- missed on the blind, the dead, and the prophetess.

Rev 4:8 And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, LORD God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.

Fortigurn, I’m a little confused about whether the things with six wings in heaven were really cherubim or something more beastly. When I think of cherubs, I think of little, pink-cheeked babies-with-wings. King James (above) calls them beasts.

biblegateway.com/passage/?se … ersion=KJV

OK. Which of the following is from the New Testament:

A: Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up the road, some youths came from the city and mocked him, and said to him, “Go up, you baldhead! Go up, you baldhead!” So he turned around and looked at them, and pronounced a curse on them in the name of the LORD. And two female bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths.
B: And the shapes of the locusts were like unto horses prepared unto battle; and on their heads were as it were crowns like gold, and their faces were as the faces of men. And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as of lions.
C:And Ehud put forth his left hand, and took the dagger from his right thigh, and thrust it into his belly: And the haft also went in after the blade; and the fat closed upon the blade, so that he could not draw the dagger out of his belly; and the dirt came out.
D: In those days as well as later when the sons of the gods had intercourse with the daughters of mortals and children were born to them, the Nephilim were on the earth; they were the heroes of old, people of renown.

[quote=“zender”]Rev 4:8 And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, LORD God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.

Fortigurn, I’m a little confused about whether the things with six wings in heaven were really cherubim or something more beastly. When I think of cherubs, I think of little, pink-cheeked babies-with-wings. King James (above) calls them beasts.
biblegateway.com/passage/?se … ersion=KJV[/quote]

They’re cherubim; forget the KJV’s ‘beasts’ (archaic English which didn’t mean to the 1611 editors what it sounds like to us), the Greek is ‘living creatures’, same kind of terminology as is used in Ezekiel (‘living beings’, Ezekiel 1:5). Forget also the depictions of cherubs to which you refer (actually mis-named Renaissance putti); they have nothing to do with Ancient Near East cherubim, which look like this.

I like those five legged guardians.

Hey, I added a question to my last post. I’m guessin’ it’s easy for you.

[quote=“zender”]OK. Which of the following is from the New Testament:

A: Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up the road, some youths came from the city and mocked him, and said to him, “Go up, you baldhead! Go up, you baldhead!” So he turned around and looked at them, and pronounced a curse on them in the name of the LORD. And two female bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths.
B: And the shapes of the locusts were like unto horses prepared unto battle; and on their heads were as it were crowns like gold, and their faces were as the faces of men. And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as of lions.
C:And Ehud put forth his left hand, and took the dagger from his right thigh, and thrust it into his belly: And the haft also went in after the blade; and the fat closed upon the blade, so that he could not draw the dagger out of his belly; and the dirt came out.
D: In those days as well as later when the sons of the gods had intercourse with the daughters of mortals and children were born to them, the Nephilim were on the earth; they were the heroes of old, people of renown.[/quote]

Yeah, that is a bit easy; the answer is B (it’s the woe of the 5th trumpet in Revelation chapter 9); A is from 1 Kings (one of Elijah’s most famous smitings), C is from Judges (Ehud’s assassination of Eglon king of Moab), and D is from Genesis 6 (the introduction of the flood narrative).

OK
Of the 27 books in the New Testament, which is the longest?
A: Matthew
B: Mark
C: Acts
D: Romans

Paul says that nature teaches that a man should have short hair and a woman long hair in his letter to ___________________.
A. The Corinthians
B. The Galatians
C. The Ephesians
D. The Philippians

[quote=“zender”]OK
Of the 27 books in the New Testament, which is the longest?
A: Matthew
B: Mark
C: Acts
D: Romans[/quote]

In terms of chapters, or actual text? Matthew and Acts have 28 chapters, Mark and Romans have 16.

Total text I guess, King James version(?) I think. I read it was Acts that was longest. :blush:

Which of the following raised-from-the-dead people, was not raised from the dead in the New Testament?
A. Dorcus
B. Eutychus
C. Jairus’ daughter
D. Shunamite’s son

It had to be either Matthew or Acts (both 28 chapters long), and I would guess Acts in either English or Greek.

[quote]Which of the following raised-from-the-dead people, was not raised form the dead in the New Testament?
A. Dorcus
B. Eutychus
C. Jairus’ daughter
D. Shunamite’s son[/quote]

Another easy one; D, the Shunamite’s woman was raised by Elijah. Dorcas was raised by Peter in Acts, Eutychus was raised by Paul in Acts (after he famously fell asleep and toppled out of a window due to Paul speaking at length), and Jairus’ daughter was raised by Jesus in the gospels (can’t remember which, but at least in Mark).

Interesting. How many people did Jesus raise from the dead in the gospels? I only remember Lazarus.

See Fortigurn’s response to Zender’s Q7.

Oh, thanks – I hadn’t had time to read the whole thread yet. :blush:

Who said as God as my witness if you say that one more friggin’ time I’m going to crown you?