Testosterone discussion

There are lots of studies pointing both ways.
Some show low T increases cardiovascular event risk and others show TRT increases it, but usually only in the first few years. The risks are small and conflicting, so I’m betting other factors such as diet and overall health are far more important.

That’s my impression too.

These symptoms could be a result of many things including something as common as just being lazy or bad diet.

And I may or may not have had some of these at some time in life at many different ages.

Signs and symptoms of low testosterone include:

1. Change in sleep patterns : insomnia or sleep disturbances
  2. Physical changes: increased body fat and reduced muscle bulk
  3. Sexual changes: reduced sexual desires, sexual dysfunction, or infertility
  4. Emotional changes: decreased motivations, depression
  5. Worsening of sleep apnea
  6. Worsening of congestive heart failure
1 Like

I’m not sure where you’re going with this? That low T symptoms are made up? We have some decent understanding of how testosterone affects people.

Yeah, I can think of things we’ve evolved to do in old age off the top of my head, menopause, long-term memory

Wouldn’t that be another way nature says you have no use that old since most don’t get that old?

I’m just trying to understand the symptoms.

How do I know if I have low testosterone?

And what will it do for me to make my life better?

Pretty damn happy mentally and healthy physically. BUT maybe I’m missing something and don’t know it.

Maybe there is something that can improve my quality of life as I get older.

You go get a blood test. If it’s low and you’re showing many of the symptoms listed. It may be low testosterone.

If you’ve none of the symptoms, you’re probably within the normal range and are fine with how you’re reCting to the level of testosterone you currently produce.

If you have low testosterone, you can take testosterone to get you to where you’re feeling better.

Actually the opposite, it implies that there is a use for people beyond their child-bearing years. We’re the only mammal that does this.

1 Like

Okay thanks that’s probably what I’m looking for.

In the oral traditions of several pre-civilisation tribes there are stories of how they had to dispose of the elderly once they became a drain on resources.

One South American tribe took the women to a river where they were killed with an axe to the head. The men were expected to leave the tribe where presumably they would die in the wilderness. The Inuit more famously left them out in the cold to die of exposure.

There clearly were a significant number of people who lived to old age, at least enough to become a burden. Not as many as now, of course, loss of eyesight and/or teeth would have hastened early death, as would lack of medical care to artificially prolong existence.

1 Like

Killer whales also have it.

Here are some competing theories. It seems one of them is mine and another more like yours.

https://www.google.com.tw/amp/s/theconversation.com/amp/why-do-women-go-through-menopause-science-offers-new-solution-to-old-puzzle-54856

Brutal, but really not much less so than dying of cancer or living out the rest of your years in a senile daze at the old folks home.

1 Like

For hunter gatherers elderly women would have been very important providing childcare while everyone else hunted and gathered. Elderly men, not so useful.

However, there is evidence of other tribes who valued their elders for wisdom, experience etc. It’s not clear-cut.

I guess it had to be done for to ensure everyone else survives back then.

I imagine people were also not immune to forming emotional attachments.

We’re lucky to be living when we are.

One of the theories of menopause is this. So they focus on caring for grandchildren that passes on their genetic material. And take over child care duties to allow the parents to reproduce more and go do useful stuff like hunt and gather.

Old men, not so useful.

1 Like

I remember reading about an elderly Neanderthal that was also disabled in some way who could only have survived with the support of other Neanderthals.

I once read a theory that the memory of old people was valuable. Knowing what foods could be eaten when regular sources expired, etc.

1 Like