Thailand attack: ex-cop kills 38 at daycare centre, 24 were children

What the fuck …

8 posts were split to a new topic: From Thailand

My guess, gambling debt or meth abuse, made him go nuts

Amen

1 Like

Back to topic. I really can’t imagine why anyone - however crazy or high - would target a daycare centre. It’s making me sick.

He’s an ex police officer, he knows the law. Thailand also still has the death penalty in place, so capital punishment as a deterrent clearly isn’t enough to even stop an ex police officer. In fact, he is probably seeking capital punishment. Only better mental health education and more wide spread psychiatric care could have had a chance in preventing tragedies like this. Although, such senseless killing is equally sickening whether it happens at a daycare, elementary school, junior high, even high school, college, movie theater, or on the MRT.

2 Likes

What a horrible tragedy. Sounds like a case of meth psychosis.

A demon is what he was

2 Likes

Gun control for cops? Ban assault weapons for cops…

Seriously though historically there has been “murder suicides”. Essentially many religion says that if you commit suicide you go to hell. So basically they would murder someone with the intent of being executed, and so it wouldn’t count as suicide and all that. I read in Europe they had basically at one time mandated extreme torture in order to deter people from committing such crimes.

Yes, there seems to be history of drug use.

There’s domestic violence spilling into community violence. The guy went looking for his kid at the care center. He eventually found them at home.

Horrible, senseless tragedy. Most distraught for the survivors and family members.

1 Like

This is just so tragic beyond words…RIP to those little angels and condolences to the families and relatives of those killed :cry: :sleepy:

2 Likes

Could be, especially for those who would say it’s too soon to discuss real causes before enough time is given to mourn.

I’ll say this though, from what I’ve read, if a society wants to prevent or discourage such killings, in addition to mental health education and making psychiatric care available, it should not release details of what how the crime is committed, or even the name of the perpetrator.

People who commit acts like this either lost the capability to care about consequences or are seeking punishment, sometimes to make themselves feel recognized and important.

So by making all these information public, we are just letting others who have the same kind of mental health issue realize it’s a model they can follow.

Damn… I thought we were discussing the appropriateness of making jokes about that in this forum.

I agree with you though. I could feel how the guy had totally lost it out of frustration and anger, not that I’m justifying it though, but there were several things broken here, including his fucking brain.

I don’t think anything written anywhere encourages or inseminates the idea of such actions though. I think the guy already had all the ingredients to come up with this: access to weapons, dealing with or exerting violence, a society where lives aren’t as valuable as in other parts of the World, desperation, etc… nobody had to hint him in this direction. Guns and violence were his work tools.

Yes, but most people with access to weapons don’t decide to kill a bunch of children at random. With a normal head, a trained professional would probably be more targeted and likely make a plan to avoid being caught. This guy has mental issues, and no don’t need for him to become someone to emulate for other people with similar untreated mental issues.

Since Zheng Jie, there has been people saying they want to be just like him.

This kind of random killings won’t be stopped by harsh punishments or to arm everyone with weapons, but we can try to minimize the chance of it together as a society.

I know, and I agree with that. I was replying to your message saying that probably we don’t want to talk about this so we wouldn’t give people like him this kind of ideas. I was pointing out that this guy (and others like him) didn’t really need any external factor other than… the ones that were already in his life.

Hmmm, so what do we do, don’t publish news, and don’t comment on events like this? I guess silence and taboo isn’t the way forward.

We can talk about the event happened, mourn the needless loss of life, and how to prevent it from happening again. Just not broadcast the name of the perpetrator, what his motives were, details of how he commited his crime, and other details that could act as a trigger.

It’s impossible to prevent stuff like this from happening again. It will always happen even in the most functional societies.

In an other post I said minimize the chance of it happening, that’s probably the more accurate way to describe what we could achieve.

I was also pretty shocked by this

Though that one is quite targeted, and not random at all.

There are responsible ways to report on mass killing stories. I’m always reminded of this from Charlie Brooker’s Newswipe when I see horrible events like this, and how often these stories are often really badly reported.