šŸ‡¹šŸ‡­ Thailand | Retiring to Thailand

Anyone watching this show?

Bravo UK puts it out (downloads available on mininova), follows around a bunch of Farang Tourist Police and Pom tourists who get themselves in trouble in Pattaya, Phuket, Samui and Haadrin.

Decent entertainment value, though after watching one episode youā€™d think Thailand was the biggest tourist minefield on Earth. Those of us who have been there before will be amused, and I am sure the Brits will be extra proud.

yup I have been watching itā€¦itā€™s up to ep4 nowā€¦pretty interestingā€¦that marine jojo confrontation got pretty big, UK marines were talking about some revenge, Thail officials asked the show to be shut down, it got pretty big and itā€™s pretty entertaining, good show

Is it the same couple of Pom tourists that keep getting themselves in trouble wherever they go in Thailand?

I think I might know who they are.

Note: I havenā€™t seen the show.

2 Likes

Sounds like a remake of The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

10 Likes

I wonder if there would be some angry surprised responses.

I expected to be getting xiaolongbao, stinky tofu, and a world-famous semiconductor industry! This fraudulant place has none of these things! :rofl:

Guy

12 Likes

Come on letā€™s be honest.

People are sending their elderly family to Thailand so they have an additional excuse to visit Thailand.

5 Likes

And why not. When a man is tired of Thailand he is tired of life.

6 Likes

I canā€™t believe this topic has been here for 10 days and not one post from @andrew

Why? Iā€™m not even close to retiringā€¦ :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Was trying to help you find Thailand cause you got lost on the way there. When one hits 18, one is ready to retire.

Just money getting in the way.

I had my retirement at 24. Then I ran out of money and had to come out of retirement.

9 Likes

Oh ok, I got it now. Good memory - it must be months ago I said that!

Intending/hoping to have a longish trip there later this year. Been waaay too long!

2 Likes

Iā€™d like to go too. Couple friends bugging me to visit.

Resurrecting an old thread hereā€¦ saw the title ā€œRetiring to Thailandā€ and thatā€™s what Iā€™m planning to do.

I had considered retiring in Taiwan, having experience living there, but Taiwan doesnā€™t offer a path to retirement immigration that works for me.

Soā€¦ off to Bangkok!

Iā€™m not at the age of needing elder care (like in the OPā€™s post), but retiring in a place with decent elder care options is a plus, assuming I eventually reach the situation where Iā€™ll need it.

If anyone else here is contemplating something similar, or has done it, please post or get in touch, so we can compare notes on pluses/minuses/gotchas/etc. Iā€™d be interested to know what others have experienced.

1 Like

Thailand has to be better than Taiwan, you could possibly afford a house in Thailand.
Personally I donā€™t understand why Iā€™m in Taiwan sometimes?

Thailand more English speakers, nicer food, less rules more crime.

1 Like

I meanā€¦ Iā€™m not that special and was able to afford one.

I re word it, houses are cheaper to buy in Bangkok than Taipei.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Taiwan&city1=Taipei&country2=Thailand&city2=Bangkok

This site gives lots of ifā€™s and butā€™s in comparisonā€™s.

1 Like

And theyā€™ve recently changed the laws about letting foreigners buy land, i believe. Previously the options were to buy a condo or take your chances putting it in your Thai wifeā€™s name (i knew some guys that got burned)

In tourist areas and bangkok, maybe. The average isnā€™t much different

Waaaaaayyyyyyy nicer!

Yeah, you canā€™t save your table with a mobile phone but you can get on-the-spot traffic ticket discounts if you pay cash!

2 Likes

Doesnā€™t really take into account the nuances of buying a house in either place. On average it can be cheaper yes, but youā€™d have to contend with:

Property rights being less of a thing in Thailand and a restriction on foreigners owning land.
Non-democratic military junta that may engage in arbitrary enforcmeent of laws and arbitrary discrimination with no legal recourse.
Worse infrastructure
Dreadful Thai salaries (obviously your mileage may vary, if you can maintain the same salary, thatā€™s different)
Higher levels of corruption in Thailand that may or may not impact building quality.

These are not one and dones and every person is different, itā€™s not necessarily unaffordable here, but I go on a ā€˜right for youā€™ basis. It may be right for you. But there is more to the picture.

3 Likes

Both Thailand and Taiwan have epic road-cycling, just stay away from Maya Beach.

That poor, poor place.

8 Ball from Underworld is a good track though.

#scatterbrainz