Thanks Forumosa and Goodbye Taiwan

It’s been 4 1/2 years, and I’m leaving.

Many of you know my wife was diagnosed with Cancer early last year. She continues to battle against the odds at home in New Zealand, and now it is time for me give up coming here part time and go and look after her 24/7. It’s a particularly scary time to be quitting work, but that is the priority in our lives right now. 2009 is giving me the shits, I have to say.

I just want to say a sincere thank you to the community here at forumosa. I joined before I came to Taiwan and it was invaluable in getting my feet on the ground, and has continued to be so for the entire time I have been here. I’ve met some wonderful people thru this site - Some have become life long friends.

Due to only being here part of the time, I think I’ve only made it to 1 Happy Hour this year, which is a far cry from the old days when I would go to them all no matter what.
Anyway, I WILL be at the Happy hour this Thursday (at On Tap) for sure, so come and raise a glass to good times ahead.

I am really looking forward to living back in New Zealand. Sometimes it takes a fair bit of travelling to realise even though it’s home, it really is paradise too. Circumstances change people, and for me quality of life is now more important than anything else.

Some I have crossed paths with only once, other many many times. Some I’ve never met in real life, but we have exchanged some wonderful PMs and posts. Thank you all. I wish you all the very best for the future in Taiwan or wherever else you may be…

Luck to you and your wife, Truant.
You’ll be missed.

All the best!

Hope things work out for you.

Peace be with you friend. Best wishes to Trudi.

PS. Runaways, escape artists and exiles are still welcome here. :sunglasses:

Truant, I’m glad that our paths crossed. It’s been a real pleasure interacting with you both online and in person. You’re a lovely couple, and it pains both of us greatly to see you two going through such a difficult time. Please give our love to Trudi, and let us know we’re rooting for her. We think of her all the time, and wish you both all the best.

Good luck to you and your wife.

When you’re sat out on your porch with your arm around Trudi, looking out at the rolling waves and enjoying an ice cold one as the sun slips below the horizon, spare a thought for us poor bastards stuck in the suburban grime of Taiwan.

This island is going to be a poorer place without you around, old bean. Returning to the land where the air is clean and the sheep plentiful makes sense, of course, but still you’ll be sorely missed.

Safe trip, and don’t forget to write!

Good luck to you and Trudy. Stay in touch.

Peace, strength and the very best of luck to both of you…

I’m glad I had the opportunity to meet you. Best of luck to both of you.

Cripes! How does one top what Taffy just said? Best not even try!

All the best, old egg, and lotsa love to Tru!

Do post from time to time, if only to rub it into those stuck behind.

HG

All the best to you and your missus.

Where abouts in NZ do you live? Maybe we could hook up for a beer some time.

Good luck and all the best.

It was a pleasure to get to know you two.

You’ll be missed, Anton. Good times. And there’ll be more to come. All the very very best to you and love and strength to Trudi from me and Jojo. I’ll try to see you on Thursday.

I’m really very grateful that I got the chance to meet you and Trudi (and Jack… never forget Jack), and there’s really no need to say that I’ll miss you being around. In fact, I’ve already been missing it for quite some time.

I’m sorry that you are having to go through these hard times, but I’m so inspired to see how both of you are dealing with it. Please pass on our love to Trudi. We think about her all the time.

See you in New Zealand.

Stu, Nina, Sean & Ceci.

Good Luck, and May The Force Be With You and Yours!
:thumbsup:

good lucky! :slight_smile:

I’ll see you Thursday. Wouldn’t miss it for the world.

Uncertainty about the future? It always works out, mate. Always. I hope to come visit you all in NZ some time in the future (I’ll sleep in the garden, because I know I stink, don’t worry). :wink:

Yep pretty much what they all said. Been great getting to know you two and you have both inspired me more than I care to admit.

Good luck back in the old country and I’ll make it out to see you on Thursday!

cheers Anton.

I’m sorry I won’t get to give you a hug at your last HH, and wish you well as you did for me when I left. But I’m certainly glad
to have met you and Trudi before I did. I wish you all the best. 2009 for you and Trudi will be blessed, and I’m keeping you
two in my prayers.

I look forward to hearing about the success stories you have when you return. God Bless.

Take care.
Nama