That drunk foreign man in Kaohsiung who beat up police on TV

While I was “away” …I saw on TV one night some bloke in Kaohsiung getting beat up by police in cop station, chained to the wall, and he was beating them too. Turned on the news was on TV day and night for two days, and who is this guy, why? Every TV crew went there to video him and the news loop played on and on. ANybody know him?

Apparently, he took a cab, and told the driver he didn’t have money to pay the fare. So the cabbie, smart fellow, drove him over to the local police station and parked his car in front. That is when the bloke went berserk. Later, he was all smiles and sorry sorry.

Who was he? Why did he do it? Was he drunkville? What time did it happen. Can;t believe you guys didn’t discuss this here. DISh, Dhish.

I haven’t seen it, but I remember my boyfriend complaining about that guy…I’m sure it’s him. Here’s the story:

There was this totally drunk foreigner, who did not speak one word of Chinese and who refused to pay the taxi driver. The desperate driver drove the guy to the next police station in order to get his money. There the foreigner started to swear at the police officers, who did not understand anything he said, and complained that they where to stupid to learn English. He supposedly started to rampage and attack the officers, who then arrested the guy. Searching his belongings for an ID, they found the guys Taiwanese insurance card and work permit in his wallet. In fact that foreigner actually lived in Taiwan since several years and spoke fluently Chinese.

My boyfriend then continued with his “nimen waiguoren…” sermon and I ended up feeling pretty ashamed for all the honest foreigners living in Taiwan… :blush:

Was that the big guy with glasses?

[quote=“mesheel”]

My boyfriend then continued with his “nimen waiguoren…” sermon and I ended up feeling pretty ashamed for all the honest foreigners living in Taiwan… :blush:[/quote]

Really? I feel ashamed you’re dating a guy that buys into ridiculous stereotypes on account of the actions of one foreigner.

[quote=“Flicka”][quote=“mesheel”]

My boyfriend then continued with his “nimen waiguoren…” sermon and I ended up feeling pretty ashamed for all the honest foreigners living in Taiwan… :blush:[/quote]

Really? I feel ashamed you’re dating a guy that buys into ridiculous stereotypes on account of the actions of one foreigner.[/quote]

Wow, Flicka, I was thinking about the exact same thing… Mesheel, he doesn’t do this kind of $hit all the time, does he?? I hope he is just happened to be in a bad mood…

Really? I feel ashamed you’re dating a guy that buys into ridiculous stereotypes on account of the actions of one foreigner.[/quote]
I was thinking the same thing. Next time you see a picture of Mao Zedong, shake your head and sadly say, “~sigh~ Nimen Zhongguoren!” :?

Don’t worry guys…he does it to tease me, cause he knows, that these stereotyp things drive me crazy…=) But I still think guys like that drunken idiot suck…

[quote]mesheel wrote:

My boyfriend then continued with his “nimen waiguoren…” sermon and I ended up feeling pretty ashamed for all the honest foreigners living in Taiwan…

Oh come on, admit it, we all do the same thing towards the Taiwanese. Just look at the Pet Peeves or related threads.

[quote=“Flicka”][quote=“mesheel”]

Flicka, I’m sure that Mesheel’s boyfriend was basing his comments on running into plenty of drunk and idiotic foreigners in Taiwan. Let’s give him the benefit of the doubt.

good, now that we got this far, who was the guy? Certainly someone who lives in Kaohsiung heard of this, saw it on TV, saw his face, knows the chap. Dish. Yes, I heard him speak smooth fluent Chinese and Tawianese on TV, after he sobered up and started smiling for the cameras. By then, he actually looked like a nice chap. But when he was drunk, he was a monster. Maybe he blacked out or had a personality change when drunk. Was he charged with anything? I believe he was an English teacher because his Taiwanese boss came there to bail him out. The story was in APPLE DAILY the next day, and on all the TV shows news segments for two days running. Repeat of loop over and over again. If the guy is lurking, reveal thyself. Tell us what really happened.

It seems that when a foreigner does something bersek like this it makes huge TV headlines and newspapers, but when a foreigner does something nice, like help an old lady across the street, that kind of news never makes the TV shows or front pages.

Why?

Weishama?

Oh, that’s right. Bad news sells, titillates, captivates. Balls to the wall!

I don’t care if 99% of foreigners act a certain way, that still doesn’t justify the phrase “nimen waiguoren.”

Anybody recall Ross Perot addressing a meeting of the NAACP and saying “You people…”??? Anyone who saw that and has an ounce of sensitivity got chills up his/her spine.

Many Taiwanese make generalizations on a regular basis because Taiwan is small, and quite homogenous. Generalizations have allowed people an easy way to comprehend the distant (and hard to understand) world around them for many years.

But with more foreigners in Taiwan, this no longer works. It’s bad enough to say “You Americans…”, but how does the rest of the world like being lumped with along Americans in the bigger (and delightfully more difficult to grasp!!) category “foreigners”?

Mesheel: it may be funny and cute now, but if he’s still teasing you with “nimen waiguoren” a year from now, then he has issues he needs to overcome. Two people in a bi-cultural relationship at some point need to stop emphasizing or focusing on the differences.

ni men wai guoren…
you americans…
kalian orang taiwan…
ni men taiwan ren…
ni men feilvpin ren…
ni men yinni ren…
ni men ni men ni men…

dou shi ren ma?

ax

[Moved to ‘not English’ thread; goodness these mods are hot on the case tonight; you read some posts, post a reply and all of a sudden the stuff you’re replying to has vanished! Fair enough and actually they’re doing a great job.]

So that guy that beat up the police is Tim, a NZer who was dating a friend of mine. She’s not the least bit surprised at this because he had gotten drunk and beaten her up before. The nicest guy when he’s sober though. He got a week in jail for beating up the cops.

There were so many people scrapping here, I had to move the fight to a bigger venue.

Brian

Chica, thanks, for finally answering the question: who is he?

“…the guy that beat up the police is named Tim _______, a NZer who was dating a friend of mine. She’s not the least bit surprised at this because he had gotten drunk and beaten her up before. The nicest guy when he’s sober though. He got a week in jail for beating up the cops.”

Wow. Guess his is the kind of drunk who suffers blackouts and can’t remember stuff after. And goes berserk. He should lay off the booze,i guess. and he spent a week in jail, he got off easy!

Yeh, booze can do that to people. some people. Not me! I just pass put and wake up naked in a cow pasture usually. Don’t go near cops!

thanks CHICA, you make all this worthwhile. Does Tim ever post here?

Chester, Chester
The dead cow molester?

something like that.

Sounds like your friend needs to find a new boyfriend. Any guy that beats you up isn’t worth hanging around any longer.

And I hope that at the end of his well-deserved week in the slammer he was taken straight to the airport and booted out of Taiwan for good. We don’t need that kind of ruffian here, thank you very much.