⚾ Baseball | MLB

Staches are allowed in the Yankees stupid rules and wasn’t a get away with it because he’s good enough.

For the best.

And the grizzled look comes and goes over the season. Every once in a while you see shadows on the infield.

I saw the brawl the other day and didn’t understand what was happening, but I just learned that Donaldson was suspended for a game for calling Anderson by “Jackie” because Anderson had the bad taste, lack of awareness, and stupidity to compare the way he could change the game to the way Jackie Robinson did. Jackie Robinson is a titan of both baseball and culture because he not only broke the racist color barrier, but how he did it. Donaldson’s light and completely non-racial ribbing of Anderson is a complete non-issue, and I’d rather see action against La Russa and Anderson for being pieces of shit willing to smear others for slight perceived offenses.

Tasteful ones. Donny ran afoul with both his mullet and his goatee, but won on the former and didn’t officially get forced to change the latter. Because he’s Donny Baseball.

Donaldson is a jock prick, but bashing some other prick for calling himself the new Jackie Robinson is fair game is many people’s book. Fair is fair, let’s move on. Get him back in the lineup.

Staches allowed. Goatee is not a stache. Hair allowed down to collar, which is generally about how long Donny’s mullet was, and Donny was benched when his mullet got too long. Goose’s fu is probably a better example of skirting the line. And there have been a LOT of not tasteful staches on the Yankees.

And was then reinstated. Donny got to skirt the rules because he was good enough.

The Giambi fake moustache was a hit!

1 Like

And the Yankees suuuuucked then.

1 Like

Well, a little more nuanced than that.
https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/04/30/tim-anderson-white-sox-speaks-out

I think that was the real issue.

Wow, this really makes Anderson look like an overly sensitive asshole.

1 Like

Right… after asking for a trade. And this happened under stick. It wasn’t exactly a you good, we good deal.

Yea, probably, but Donaldson is a known prick and apparently has been calling him that for years. Might have just finally gotten under his skin.

1 Like

Sure, but it clearly wasn’t racist or against any rules.

No bullying in baseball!

Is there an NBA style no taunting rule in baseball?

So beards make people look like scumbags? You sound like a hoot to be around.

As for this:

Absolutely a ridiculous take. Let’s assume JD wasn’t being racist for a moment. Well then he’s still a mocking asshole (most former teammates of JD can’t stand the guy) and TA had every right to get offended. The two of them have had numerous run-ins before and I don’t know about you, but I don’t really joke with people I’ve clashed with. JD was completely disingenuous when he described it as such.

And if you have a problem with TA calling himself the modern day Jackie, who cares? Currently there are two African American managers out of 30 teams. AAs on Opening Day rosters this year? 7%. In 1986 there were 19%. There’s a serious lack of black people in the sport, and TA is trying to be the face of them in the sport and encourage them to get past all the obstacles, of which there are many, beginning with MLB cutting the draft from 50 to 20 rounds between 2012 and 2021. Plus they eliminated 43 minor league teams. So what does that have to do with anything? Lack of opportunity. Baseball has become a pay to play sport. If you don’t have the money for travel ball at 13 years old, there’s a good chance you aren’t going to get very far. Those top travel ball kids go on to play baseball at places like Harvard-Westlake High School in LA, or they are recruited for college. And that visibility matters when it comes to the draft. Fewer draft spots means less room to take chances on raw players who might not have had the opportunities to work with top coaches. TA knows all this, and is trying to grow the number of black players in the sport.

So yeah, racism in baseball is still very much a thing. It’s just not as direct anymore. If TA wants to call himself Jackie, he can, and fuck JD for mocking him.

It would be pretty cool if Judge re-signed at slightly below market value with the condition that beards are allowed for all. Not because I like beards… but because it would show what a fucking badass Judge is

2 Likes

I don’t disagree… but nobody should really be comparing themselves to Jackie. Fine, call him your idol, but you really can’t replicate what he did for the game of baseball/racism in the US.

Think Tiger Woods. Forget about race, or whatever… can ANY golfer make any sort of statement that they want to be the next Tiger? Sure, we all dream about having that sort of impact… but you can’t say that you see yourself as the next Tiger