The ABC club is a weird group

I have never met more arrogant people in my life than ABCs in Taiwan (well…besides Brits). I hate how they storm places like Luxy and refuse to be friends with anyone who isn’t an ABC. God forbid you ask an ABC friend to go to a different bar besides Marquee, Myst, Luxy, Spark, Primo or some other NT$400 a drink bar. They have such a sense of entitlement like they were born in the west and are back here to take over. Most of them are rich, spoiled fuckups at home and their parents sent them here. Their parents moved to the US and made very good lives for themselves (which is hard for a first generation immigrant in the US), then they spoiled the hell out of their kids. They firmly believe they should automatically get a management position in any field JUST because they’re ABC. It’s strange, the ABC club is a weird group. They all know each other, and they always talk SO MUCH SHIT to me about their friends like I actually know anyone. All ABC girls are named Jessica. All ABC guys are named David. How many friggin David Chen’s are there?!

Let me guess, you got turned down by a hot girl called Jessica, who opted for a hot guy called David Chen instead ?

1 Like

There may be many ‘a David Chen’ but there is only one ‘The David Chen’. Same with Jessica. Everyone is same same but different.

American Born Canadians?

Does not compute… :loco:

I prefer the ones that suck.

My god, the children of wealthy, highly educated people having a sense of superiority and entitlement. Who would have thought?

Well I think it would go more like “I got turned down by a hot guy named David Chen because he realized he likes what Jessica has” instead, but seriously I’m just getting tired of their shit.

2 recent examples from this week:

1. Stupid ABC girl wants to go to Mint for New Years, apparently because she wants to be seen there and doesn’t care about the fact that everyone else who doesn’t care about being seen there has to pay NT$3k for a cover charge. When I asked if she would like to hang out outside with everyone and watch the fireworks then go clubbing, she answered in a bitchy tone “Why would I do that?!” Apparently crowding around that one part of the window that shows 101 is more fun. :loco:

2. Wednesday night outside Luxy, all the ABCs are here for CNY and the TAS/TES douchebags are back. I was drinking a Yanjing Beer. I kept getting verbally accosted about how I should be drinking Taiwan Beer from multiple people yelling at me at once. I HATE TAIWAN BEER. I will drink anything besides Taiwan Beer, and I actually like the Yanjing import one here. They kept going off on me about how I shouldn’t be drinking beer from Beijing because they are communist and Taiwan Beer is SO AWESOME. Taiwan Beer sucks. That’s why nobody drinks it outside of Taiwan. STFU and let me drink my beer.

CAme within one second of pushing an ABC guy thru a plate glass door once, but decided to go drinking with him instead. ABC are exactly as you said, they are lost on the wan, not accepted by the mainstream if they cant speak mando well, so they hang out wiht other ABC who understand them better. OFten driven by overbearing parents they are finally left to be themselves for once on the wan.

The guys are alright man. But whooo the girls? Man some of them are really N.I.C.E.

There was this one I still remember. Voice of an angel and a character of one too. Beautiful Asian girl with her beautiful valley girl english and voice. Its a winning combo.

Hey if you cant break into the group , try harder you can do it. Its better if you are at least half asian tho, then you are automatically IN.

p.s. you gotta try that TAiwan Beer dude. It will grow hair on ya. Plus after awhile that old socks smell will be quite endearing and you will miss it if you cant get it. Plus that rice mixed in with the hops gives you that unique hang over thats not quite the same with other beers. AND…the smell of your barf is not quite equalled by the likes of say Heinken. So yeahhh TAiwan Beer for the Win !

All this bitching makes me happy I am not a teenager/ early 20’s anymore. :slight_smile:

Happy New Year to you all there on the 'Wan, as only Tommy seems to call it. :bow: And to you there in the Bay Area, Tommy.

I dont think I know any ABC Davids…

[quote=“mike029”]
When I asked if she would like to hang out outside with everyone and watch the fireworks then go clubbing, she answered in a bitchy tone "Why would I do that?![/quote]
Sounds like she thought you were hitting on her (which might explain her response).

[quote=“mike029”]
Wednesday night outside Luxy, all the ABCs are here for CNY and the TAS/TES douchebags are back. I was drinking a Yanjing Beer. I kept getting verbally accosted about how I should be drinking Taiwan Beer from multiple people yelling at me at once. I HATE TAIWAN BEER. I will drink anything besides Taiwan Beer, and I actually like the Yanjing import one here. They kept going off on me about how I shouldn’t be drinking beer from Beijing because they are communist and Taiwan Beer is SO AWESOME. [/quote]

Sounds like they were drunk and they lost the ability to make sound judgments. Generally speaking, I think people who are drunk with a blood alcohol level above a certain percentage tend to act like complete idiots. Don’t take it personally, even if their comments were directed at you. They were drunk when they spoke. And if they were sober, they might have thought twice before speaking such inane comments.

[quote=“Gryphon”][quote=“mike029”]
When I asked if she would like to hang out outside with everyone and watch the fireworks then go clubbing, she answered in a bitchy tone "Why would I do that?![/quote]
Sounds like she thought you were hitting on her (which might explain her response).

[quote=“mike029”]
Wednesday night outside Luxy, all the ABCs are here for CNY and the TAS/TES douchebags are back. I was drinking a Yanjing Beer. I kept getting verbally accosted about how I should be drinking Taiwan Beer from multiple people yelling at me at once. I HATE TAIWAN BEER. I will drink anything besides Taiwan Beer, and I actually like the Yanjing import one here. They kept going off on me about how I shouldn’t be drinking beer from Beijing because they are communist and Taiwan Beer is SO AWESOME. [/quote]

Sounds like they were drunk and they lost the ability to make sound judgments. Generally speaking, I think people who are drunk with a blood alcohol level above a certain percentage tend to act like complete idiots. Don’t take it personally, even if their comments were directed at you. They were drunk when they spoke. And if they were sober, they might have thought twice before speaking such inane comments.[/quote]
Are you perchance an ABC? :eh:

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“Gryphon”][quote=“mike029”]

[quote=“mike029”]

Sounds like they were drunk and they lost the ability to make sound judgments. Generally speaking, I think people who are drunk with a blood alcohol level above a certain percentage tend to act like complete idiots. Don’t take it personally, even if their comments were directed at you. They were drunk when they spoke. And if they were sober, they might have thought twice before speaking such inane comments.[/quote]
Are you perchance an ABC? :eh:[/quote]

Are you hinting that my comment was inane? :slight_smile:

I’s got’ta know: spit or swallow? :whistle:

[quote=“pgdaddy1”]All this bitching makes me happy I am not a teenager/ early 20’s anymore. :slight_smile:

Happy New Year to you all there on the 'Wan, as only Tommy seems to call it. :bow: And to you there in the Bay Area, Tommy.[/quote]

Happy NEW YEAR to you and all you guys over there, where i do believe it IS 2012 already now on TAIWAN. Still 2011 here tho in the bay area.

[quote=“Gryphon”][quote=“mike029”]
[/quote]

Yeah, I was hitting on her when discussing plans to watch fireworks with a group of friends. If she thought I was hitting on her then she’s even more of a bitch. Her reaction was more to the tune of “I’m not gonna stand outside on the street with those poor people that can’t get into this amazing club”…which is literally next door to 101 so I have no idea how anyone could enjoy the fireworks from there…

[quote=“Gryphon”]

[quote=“mike029”]

Drinking definitely gives you loose lips, but those thoughts had to exist somewhere before they came out of the person’s mouth. This is a typical problem with ABCs whose parents are from Taiwan. They get brainwashed into the TW independence thing by their parents (not intentionally, but that’s because TW is all they know about China (Greater China) besides what their parents tell them, and this island is their heritage). They get really defensive of TW, even when they have absolutely no connection to the place except that their parents were born here. For a lot of them, TW is a special place because the only time they ever spend here is on vacation or CNY or something, this place only holds good memories for them. They’re here on their parents dime and have an aunt or uncle they can always call for help or get them a job/apartment/whatever. A lot of them that start to live here after a while can’t take it anymore and go back to the US. I’ve noticed the ABC club is on a constant rotation here.

I think you should narrow down the target of your diatribe to something like “immature, self-important” ABCs.

You’ll end up with the same percentage of the total population of ABCs as you will with any other group of people.

Why doesn’t the OP just get a new social life? I don’t know anyone in the ‘ABC club’.

[quote=“mike029”]I have never met more arrogant people in my life than ABCs in Taiwan (well…besides Brits). I hate how they storm places like Luxy and refuse to be friends with anyone who isn’t an ABC. God forbid you ask an ABC friend to go to a different bar besides Marquee, Myst, Luxy, Spark, Primo or some other NT$400 a drink bar. They have such a sense of entitlement like they were born in the west and are back here to take over. Most of them are rich, spoiled fuckups at home and their parents sent them here. Their parents moved to the US and made very good lives for themselves (which is hard for a first generation immigrant in the US), then they spoiled the hell out of their kids. They firmly believe they should automatically get a management position in any field JUST because they’re ABC. It’s strange, the ABC club is a weird group. They all know each other, and they always talk SO MUCH SHIT to me about their friends like I actually know anyone. All ABC girls are named Jessica. All ABC guys are named David. How many friggin David Chen’s are there?!

[/quote]

Wow, you have this sub-group really figured out. Are you here on a grant doing a PhD in Social Anthropology?

In your time here you have befriended so many, yet have not been able to befriend any because they are too stuck up, but you everything about their collective backgrounds, family life, social structure, spending habits, interactions and even child-naming processes.

I am truly impressed.

What’s more you have been so unbiased in your conclusions, not letting any personal feelings or frustrations interfere. Nor do you harbor any grudges towards them.

I also like the fact that you recognize that maybe they hang out together, because that is in large part what they did in the US. Maybe they act different than ROC nationals because they are indeed from a different culture. Shocking that they look so similar to ROC nationals, yet could be so different.

What is best about your well thought out, fact filled posts is the fact that you show no hatred towards wealthy or privileged people, and harbor zero resentment towards anyone who may live a more lavish lifestyle than yourself, because in a metropolitan area of near 7M people, it would seem shocking that people of means may wish to spend upwards of $100 covers on a night like NYE rather than drink outside of a 7-Eleven on one of the colder nights of the year.

Thanks for the great post, and please link me to your blog if you have one.

Good luck on the PhD!

Yea but, should they be made to shop at Carrefour?