The ABC club is a weird group

I haven’t had much contact with the type of ABCs the OP is railing against. I was never much into “clubbing”, apart from occasional hunting excursions to Buffalo Town and the few other equivalents available back in the 1980s, but it never did much for me, and I gave it up almost completely when I moved out of the city in 1987. I have never been to any of the clubs that he mentions, and have never rubbed shoulders with the group he complains about, so I cannot comment authoritatively on his judgment of them. Yet whatever the faults or otherwise of the people who have earned his antipathy, I do feel that he is wrong to extend his disparagement to ABCs, and even to A-to-ZBCs, en masse.

Yes, I have encountered pairs or groups of young Chinese-looking people who are dressed more like North American college kids than typical locals, who yack loudly in exaggeratedly American-accented English, and who radiate obnoxious rich brattishness. I’ve assumed them to be either ABCs or students at one of the international schools. I believe their type can be found pretty much anywhere in the world, wherever affluent parents feed their kids with lots of dosh and an overweening sense of social superiority. I don’t take them to be representative of all Taiwanese who were raised or have spent many childhood years overseas, though perhaps they are typical of the ones the OP encounters when he goes to his playpens of choice.

However, I must say that I’ve never found any cause for antipathy toward the general body of the wherever-BCs I’ve crossed paths with during 26 years in Taiwan. There was a fair scattering of them in the cram schools where I taught in my early years here, and I recall them as among the nicest of my co-teachers, definitely far from among the nastiest.

More recently, my government work has brought me into contact with quite a few young chaps who grew up in the US, UK, Canada, etc., and are doing alternative military service as translators and interpreters in government offices. They have invariably struck me as being polite, earnest, respectful and of genial disposition. I can’t think of even one who seemed at all unlikable.

I still chuckle merrily at the thought of the alternative service lad who was wheeled out for display to us in a meeting with the Lienchiang county chief at local government headquarters in Matsu last year. I could hardly keep from snorting with laughter when he launched off fluently in as broad a cockney accent as I’ve ever heard beyond Mile End Road. He’d also picked up the best of cockney good humour, and I bet he’d have been able to regale me with a good yarn or few about his life in England if I’d had the chance to chat with him over a pint or a coffee.

If you’re inclined to look for things to like and admire in others, it’s generally not very hard to find them. I guess it’s probably equally easy to find things to dislike or sneer at, but I don’t have much experience of that, and I really would not want to.

[quote=“Omniloquacious”][quote=“pgdaddy1”]All this bitching makes me happy I am not a teenager/ early 20’s anymore. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Whereas I rather wish I could still be that age, but enjoying what’s available rather than hankering after what isn’t.[/quote]

What like; any hole is a goal? :smiley:

[quote=“Steviebike”][quote=“Omniloquacious”][quote=“pgdaddy1”]All this bitching makes me happy I am not a teenager/ early 20’s anymore. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Whereas I rather wish I could still be that age, but enjoying what’s available rather than hankering after what isn’t.[/quote]

What like; any hole is a goal? :smiley:[/quote]

As long as it hasn’t been pronounced dead.

(Though in truth, I became somewhat pickier than that after about my 16th birthday.)

[quote=“Omniloquacious”][quote=“Steviebike”][quote=“Omniloquacious”][quote=“pgdaddy1”]All this bitching makes me happy I am not a teenager/ early 20’s anymore. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

What like; any hole is a goal? :smiley:[/quote]

As long as it hasn’t been pronounced dead.

(Though in truth, I became somewhat pickier than that after about my 16th birthday.)[/quote]

Happily married but, I was never very picky. The best girls are not always the most glamourous girls and I’m fine with that.

Ditto the status and sentiments.

The biggest pity for me was that the pickiness didn’t translate into plucking until I’d grown up a whole lot more.

Whats not to like about ABC girls like this one? :smiley: (well except maybe her singing, good but needs work). But awww shes so gorgeous ( as pretty as the two swedish girls I saw at the chinese laundry yesterday in berkeley). I love her slight wabbit teeth .

youtube.com/watch?v=hNIeVQtH … re=related

youtube.com/watch?v=h21vsB1U … re=related

pretty sweet here tho

youtube.com/watch?v=kCaXKV3O … re=related

p.s. she went from doing songs on youtube to releasing her first album (in HK). pretty cool.

As far as ABC girls go, at least there will be less of a cultural shock if you were to marry her, since their thinking will be more or less Western compared to a home grown Taiwanese.

They are the only Asians I would ever consider dating.

I stopped recently at a scooter shop and waited for the inspection when a Taiwanese looking guy came over and talk to me in fluent English. He said ‘How’ you doing? I’m from Charlotte and you? Do you know my buddy XXX, he’s from Detroit"… I said I am from France and I don’t know where is Charlotte and I don’t know XXX? He said “Oh… well I have to go… bye”… Even the foreigners think every foreigner has to be an American…

1 Like

It’s really hard to tell unless you started talking, after all there are people from all over Europe in the US, so its natural to assume that the person is American if he looks white. It’s just like in America they all assume that every Asian looking guy is from China.

It’s really hard to tell unless you started talking, after all there are people from all over Europe in the US, so its natural to assume that the person is American if he looks white. It’s just like in America they all assume that every Asian looking guy is from China.[/quote]

What? Since when do Americans assume that every Asian guy is Chinese?

Well I think it would go more like “I got turned down by a hot guy named David Chen because he realized he likes what Jessica has” instead, but seriously I’m just getting tired of their shit.

2 recent examples from this week:

1. Stupid ABC girl wants to go to Mint for New Years, apparently because she wants to be seen there and doesn’t care about the fact that everyone else who doesn’t care about being seen there has to pay NT$3k for a cover charge. When I asked if she would like to hang out outside with everyone and watch the fireworks then go clubbing, she answered in a bitchy tone “Why would I do that?!” Apparently crowding around that one part of the window that shows 101 is more fun. :loco:

2. Wednesday night outside Luxy, all the ABCs are here for CNY and the TAS/TES douchebags are back. I was drinking a Yanjing Beer. I kept getting verbally accosted about how I should be drinking Taiwan Beer from multiple people yelling at me at once. I HATE TAIWAN BEER. I will drink anything besides Taiwan Beer, and I actually like the Yanjing import one here. They kept going off on me about how I shouldn’t be drinking beer from Beijing because they are communist and Taiwan Beer is SO AWESOME. Taiwan Beer sucks. That’s why nobody drinks it outside of Taiwan. STFU and let me drink my beer.[/quote]

I have had some unpleasent encounters with ABC’s, but I have also met a lot of great ones. That’s basically what everyone here is saying, it really just depends on the individuals and these generalizations don’t help much.

That being said, you should visit China. You’ll be impressed with how ugly the country is, and how disgusting the people are. Once you see how your precious Yanjing beer is made and the people who make it, I’m sure you will be excited to continue drinking it’s delicious contents.

I haven’t met many ABCs, but the few that I have met run high-stakes poker games and CHEAT. I’ve been on the receiving end of their generosity a couple of times. Now I take a translator along to games. :wink:

[quote=“mike029”]I have never met more arrogant people in my life than ABCs in Taiwan (well…besides Brits). I hate how they storm places like Luxy and refuse to be friends with anyone who isn’t an ABC. God forbid you ask an ABC friend to go to a different bar besides Marquee, Myst, Luxy, Spark, Primo or some other NT$400 a drink bar. They have such a sense of entitlement like they were born in the west and are back here to take over. Most of them are rich, spoiled fuckups at home and their parents sent them here. Their parents moved to the US and made very good lives for themselves (which is hard for a first generation immigrant in the US), then they spoiled the hell out of their kids. They firmly believe they should automatically get a management position in any field JUST because they’re ABC. It’s strange, the ABC club is a weird group. They all know each other, and they always talk SO MUCH SHIT to me about their friends like I actually know anyone. All ABC girls are named Jessica. All ABC guys are named David. How many friggin David Chen’s are there?!

[/quote]

Crap, I’m named David as well, thank god my last name isn’t Chen.

I don’t know but the one I did work for, he seem like a decent guy. But then I’m really bad with nonverbal things so I wouldn’t know an entitled person unless I knew him/her intimately for a long time.

No, we just talk. It’s all in your head.

I know some ABCs in the US and here. In Taiwan, the locals expect them to know everything and are extra harsh on them. In the US, many of them go to Chinese school language jail instead of doing what my kids did like playing ball on the school team. Why do some groups have the burden of representing their ethnicity? As an American mongrel, I don’t have this extra pressure. I’ve often wondered why people move to a foreign country but don’t want their kids to be influenced by it.

2 Likes

because

but seriously a language like chinese or english is going to be super helpful to learn at a young age and be fluent in. it will give them more options later in life.
i do see your point though about culture and mostly agree.

What I have seen extends beyond language. It is making a bubble. No friends from «outside», no social interaction beyond their group. That is why they have to work twice as hard in school in language skills.

There are other issues that go further from avoiding bad influence. Certainly there is racism but that does not everyone who is not Chinese the enemy as some very conservative groups within the Overseas community preach.

1 Like

Thank you all for resurrecting this thread! I’m sure that its many insights will come in handy as I search for the Meaning of Life.

Given that ABCs have a higher average IQ than all other groups in the U.S., I have no doubt they’ll be coming up with an answer for you soon.