The "Anti-China youtubers" vs the "shills"

Serpentza first crossed my radar several years ago.

I am in that category of people who found his early videos vaguely interesting, before they:

(a) degenerated into full-blown anti-China hatemongering.

…OR

(b) started to become a bit more negative.

(Take your pick!)

Just to be be clear, at the outset. I fully recognise that there are valid criticisms to be made against the Chinese government. Bring it on! The more the merrier!

However, something about this guy just seemed “off” from the getgo.

Weirdly, his accent was what first pricked my ears (innocuous, I know). It was recognisably South African, but with this hard, North American “r” (for some words, but not others?!).

OK. So no big deal. Yet, somehow, this niggling little inconsistancy stuck in my mind.

Then was his insistence that he is not merely “South African”, but “A British South African”. It was such an odd distinction to repeatedly insist upon. He is not a dual citizen, (born and reared in SA, as far as I know?) He was instead referring to his British ancestry. Was he deliberately trying to elevate/distinguish himself from his fellow South Africans? A cut above the rest? Perhaps our man had a complicated relationship with his own identity? But let’s give him the benefit of the doubt.

Then there’s The Suit… Just downright bizarre! He (helpfully) makes a whole video explaining why he wears a suit all the time. But his: “well… once upon a time this thing happened! and now I’m trapped in my suit!” story is just fucking ridiculous. He’d obviously been sporting this getup for too long to backout of it with his dignity intact. So he contrives some dubious backstory to justify it?

Again, it suggests someone so insecure about his identity he feels the need to present himself as a person of high status. He figures his Chinese neighbours will see him walking around in a suit and assume he must be someone important.

Whatever floats your boat…

I think what really confirmed to me that this guy is flat-out full of shit was when he started to claim that he “trains doctors,” when in reality he taught English to medical staff. I mean it’s so wilfully misleading. Implying that he has medical expertise in order to (you guessed it!) inflate his social status.

His incessant reminders (so frequent that it is now a running joke) that “my wife is a doctor” is just more of the same.

He criticised Chinese people for travelling to America to have children there in order to get a green card. Then what does he himself do? Five minutes after touching down on US soil? Are you kidding me?

Other “shills” (AKA youtubers, AKA “people”) have discussed how he romanticizes apartheid South Africa. I don’t know if I’d go that far, but there is a distinct whiff of colonialism here. His documentary series is called: “Conquering Northern Southern China” FFS! A clumsy, unfortunate choice of words? No. It’s an “in joke” wink, wink…

The same passive aggressive undertone pervades his videos, like he’s frustrated because he can’t say what he really really wants to, dammit, for fear of being deplatfrormed.

He and his little sidekick go on and on about how the “shills” are Chinese government-funded mouthpieces. In fact, many of the so-called “shills” (Matt from Jayoe Nation/nuance being a prime example) are actually very transparent about how they are (or are not) being funded. They share their personal observations and freely express their own opinions.

Which they are perfectly entitled to do.

( I am NOT for one second suggesting that the “shills” are beyond criticism! They run the gamut. There’s a whole spectrum. Some are more reputable/objective than others.)

Like many youtubers, Serpentza/Laowhy receive funding through patreon. It is no secret that there’s a lot of anti-China sentiment in the West. (Indeed, this is the very audience they are courting!) It seems entirely plausible to me that individuals or groups who have a vested interest in pushing the anti-China narrative could quite easily funnel a few dollars their way via patreon. My point being that: if there is any “shilling” it most likely isn’t a one-way street.

From what I gather, these two specimens have left, in their wake, a pretty bad reputation (among locals and expats alike) in China. I sometimes wonder how this affects their wives and their families. (I mean how would you feel if your daughter/sister/cousin absconded with some foreigner who makes a living by figuratively crapping on your country?)

I’m sure that some of what Serpentza says is true. I’m sure he has some redeemable qualities like the rest of us.

But this constant, barely concealed negativity is so distasteful.

He has carved out a good living by stirring up hatred between the West and China.

I wonder at what cost?

What really needs to happen is an open, online debate. “Shills v Haters”. (It certainly wouldn’t hurt their views(!) and we all might come out of it having learnt something.)

Let’s make it happen!

1 Like

Very enjoyable to watch; thanks for that!

DaShan was the person to emulate back when I started studying Chinese in the 90s. It is cool to see what he is up to these days.

2 Likes

Likely he has backing from Western governments to do this. Propaganda is a big part of this.

Who has backing ?
From which government ?

Are the pro CCP shills investigating the Zhengzhou floods where only four people died in their cars in a major tunnel…Even though there were hundreds of cars inside.

Oh yeah…‘No more bodies found’…

If you covered it up, with held information leading to millions of deaths and comolete global economkc disaster, bet your ass!

They arent asking to investigate Iran, North Korea or any other countries the west dislikes. Its science and rational thinking that dictates china needs to be investigated, its not a witch hunt.

What are they doing? Just online trolling or more?

I lurk there sometimes, and it’s gone down the drain. It used to be a very helpful subreddit filled with foreigners living in Taiwan trying to help each other, now It should be renamed “anti-china meme reddit” the only thing that gets views and upvotes is when somebody posts a WEST TAIWAN meme. I think the mods need to also be less aggressive on there.

The problem is exasperated by tons of people who don’t even live in Taiwan lurking there for anti china stuff.
Glad formosa forumosa exists.

4 Likes

His videos where he is motorbiking through rural china, I have to say I enjoyed them. And he did have some insights on Shenzhen. I wouldn’t be entirely negative on his identity and accent/suit issues, and he is respectful when Interacting with people as far as I have seen.

With that said pretty much everything you said occured to me. I enjoyed his videos when he was his own man. When he got an agenda it became cringey, and then delusional. I much prefer him to the laowhy guy though…

Both are poor shadows of mordeth M13, he has more class

Although like I say I think some earlier serpentza are decent. Driving around in rural china and talk to people and being nice. Before he decided he had an agenda. I wouldn’t see him as being entirely vacuous though. What he says is not without value, despite being kinda naive https://youtu.be/7NAe6Qoy6u8

Laowhy guy I’d write him off 100 percent, based on his haircut

2 Likes

Yeah, I can’t argue with any of that.

Some of the things I mentioned (accent/suit) are a bit petty, taken in isolation. I just think there’s a common thread here.

I cannot unwatch this skit. It captures the Serp/Lao dynamic so perfectly (in my twisted mind at least, if no one elses).

Serpentza played by Jeremy Clarkson.
Laowhy played by Richard Hammond.

1 Like

High five😆

Oh my god it’s so good! :joy: Poor Richard Hammond, took the punishment that laowhy deserves.

I had a friend from Birmingham who used to to talk like like that in Shenzhen

1 Like

Besides the 50 cent army stuff in their comments, they’ve been baited under the guise of interviews, with the actual intention being to ‘catch them cheating’ on their wife, I’m pretty sure the shills have said stuff about their wives/family on top of the wumao comments. But maybe there’s more, I don’t watch them a ton.

1 Like

I agree. With both of you, more or less. However, on the other side of the coin…after you cycle around a country, learn the language, do more business, join families and communities and essentially become part of the society. Talking about the negative aspects of said society shouldnt mean you have an agenda. Granted i havent spent much time watching these guys’ youtube channels. I am more responding to what you guys stated here. If a long term resident deidicates their life to improving their society…they are patriots. Not always everyone has some kind of hidden agenda. Or maybe its just the word agenda has a bad image (at least where i was born, sorry if i got you guys wrong). I have an agenda as well: make taiwan better. Might not do well, but it absolutely is my agenda. In fact, i try hard to make my planet a better place too. Good agenda. Even if it means discussing uncomfortable facts!

I talk very directly about China, often. I am not being negative. I am merely discussing negative things. The secind China/CCP becomes a pro humanity and positive realm, i will talk about them positively. They made their own narrative. Base on choice. it makes little sense dragging normal people down for talking about reality. Be it positive or negative. Lets just talk without bias. And with a moral mindset. Surely we can agree the level of oppression the CCP exhibits is a net negative situation. But human rights, sustainability, health etc are all my agenda :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This guy is pretty good, if he got political I recon he’d out do laowhy for cringe. But he is only about ordering food in a funny way so he gets my complete respect, despite being an ass, grew up in china, lol!

Even worse are the “tankies”. Hard left westerners extremely pro-anything China because China is opposed to US. Do not care about Tiannemen Square, HK protests, Uighur camps, Taiwanese rights to self-rule etc. These are all results of Western propaganda.

Probably more a twitter thing than youtube, but surprisingly prevalent.

2 Likes

Any links? Isn’t that the same as China shills?

https://twitter.com/ProletariatRis1

but one example.

Kinda a couple of decades late?

urbandictionary famously deals with the now. And yeah, you might think this line of thinking should be outdated, but nope.

1 Like

Unfortunately there is this class of person who live in a first world bubble, with first world problems, waiting for a chance to scream racism or whatever, completely disconnected from the real planet Earth.

This is changing in the right direction, fortunately. Polls indicate universal dislike of China, worldwide, typically in the 70-80% range. Now that China wants to so overtly manipulate their companies while also participating in capitalism, positive investment sentiment in China is also rapidly deteriorating.

2 Likes