The AOC (Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez) thread

I’m not sure what crees is. The Cree are from Canada. Is it a typo?

However, she’s 100% Hispanic AFAIK, but I don’t consider that to be a person of color. How many Puerto Ricans identify as white? The vast majority.

Sorry, I was trying out my Hispanic.

1 Like

It’s also in character for her to bungle the signaling…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX9k9aoX6gk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c93-UdPz1BI

Intersectional enough for you all?

She’s Puerto Rican. Fancy Mexicans, basically.

Wow, that’s hilarious!

Yes, but Cortez is a very un-PC name. It reminds people of all those poor indigenous peoples murdered by Hernán. It needs an Ocasio to soften it a little.

1 Like

Shapiro’s reply was on point as well, along the lines of:

“7 dollars for a croissant?? We should increase the salary of people who sell them to 15$ per hour!”
price of croissants becomes 9$
“9 dollars for a croissant?? We should increase the salary of people who sell them to 17$ per hour!”

But former Bernie-bros don’t care about numbers, or they would have never backed Bernie or the justice dems.

Another advantage of exorbitant croissant prices at the airport: it keeps breadlines from forming.

No bread lines? That’s a bad thing, though.

1 Like

“I’ve never known any Hispanic person actually use one of their middle names for everything.”
You must not know many of us. My dad uses his middle name (out of five, i.e. his third given name) for everything. I use mine (second given name) among my friends and relatives in Mexico. My cousin uses his first two together (quite common as well). And as has been pointed out, Ocasio isn’t even a given name in this case. Some use the paternal surname alone for conciseness in informal contexts, and both (i.e. plus the maternal) in formal contexts. Some use both routinely, and some are a fixed pair (sometimes even hyphenated) inherited from just the father (so then you get another from mom).

We don’t want to start playing the name game. I can think of someone who can trump that.

I grew up in Texas where a good majority of my friends were Hispanic. One of my first gf was named Gonzalez with a long list of given names. None of them openly calls themselves regularly with them. I’ve spent a good chunk of my summers in SA building orphanages, people rarely introduce themselves with more then a first name and 1 surname.

I know nothing about Hispanic nomenclature, but I can assure you there are a fair few Mexican and Central American boxers who fought using three names. One of my favorites, Marco Antonio Barrera, was one of them.

They are real, and it is a thing. Perhaps not in Texas.

I know they are real. I’m just saying most native born Americans don’t openly use it. Like how I use Andrew instead of my legal name. Do some people use their Chinese name, sure. But most ones who have lived in the US or was born there just don’t.

Is that how she introduces herself?

All I know about America is a week in Vegas playing poker. So please ignore at will. There are a lot of John Waynes, though, aren’t there? John Wayne Bobbett etc. Plus a fair few IIs and IIIs, like Patrick O’Reilly II.

My ex from HS? Her name is Morgan. She introduces herself as Morgan Gonzales. I believe she puts her other surname on legal documents but that’s it. I would only use my legal name on legal documents. I just introduce myself as Andrew.

As with Jr, the 2nd the 3rd. People don’t call themselves that in normal situations.

images%20(6)

Ehm…I may have some bad news for you…regarding your ex girlfriend…

In before:“But Morgan is also a girl’s n…” - technically true, but less funny, therefore invalid.

AOC, silly.

Really I always though Morgan was a girls name. It sounds feminine to me.