The ashes

Eh? Where does THAT fit into a game of cricket? They just drop their kecks and just “go” right there on the oval?[/quote]

[quote]No team in history has lost after declaring on a higher total than England’s 551-6 batting first in a Test.[/quote] BBC

Kevin Pietersen chose the wrong time to begin sweeping Warne and was bowled round his legs by the fifth ball he faced, a delivery pitching out of the rough[quote] BBC

Didnt Pietersen just write in his book that Warne would never bowl him around his legs., Was very much like Warnies Ball of the Century to another English batsman.[/quote]

Listen live on Penguin Radio:

http://www.penguinradio.com/stations/4592

Scroll down and click on “Click to Play” not the icon.

I tried the Penguin Radio link from the SMH site and it worked well. Good to hear Jim Maxwell and his mates going berserk while Gilchrist was batting.

It’s a very long way back for the poms now.

The quote below is from the Guardian’s live coverage.

That would seem highly unlikely and one of the best demonstrations of “grasping at straws” I’ve heard for a while.

“Joyless approach,” surely that is the poms.

Wow what a wonderful session of play. No sooner had I worked out how to get the penguin radio link working then I was engrossed in Gilchrist’s century. The second fastest ever by one ball. He didn’t seem to have any idea that he was approaching Viv Richard’s incredible record of a 100 in 56 balls. The fact that the rest of the world including humble plebs like me knew that didn’t seem to reflect well on communications over the span of 300 meters if the intervening landmass is a cricket pitch. They really should have got the message out to him.

It reminded me of a friend of mine in the early 1990s when Kostyu Tszyu, the world champion boxer, had just come to Australia. A young Russian Jew friend of mine was asked to be the ring-side simultaneous-translator of his trainer. One day very early in Kostyu career he was fighting in Melbourne and after the fight the trainer pulled my friend aside and said what happened I told you to tell him to wait and take him out in round three. My friend said I’m sorry I told him to take him out in three.

Gilchrist seem to have something similar going with the Australian rooms at the test. In the interview I just saw he said after he’d just knocked Monty Penasar for 24 off one over that he looked up to the rooms and tried to communicate with them about whether they should attack the bowling. He heard ‘yes’, but apparently the message was ‘no.’ Equally ironically, he said they had just had lengthy training on this kind of communiction, but it had clearly failed. Blessedly, they haven’t started to use the technology that sponsors them, the mobile phone.

Now onto that one outstanding humiliation, the rugby world cup!

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]

Now onto that one outstanding humiliation, the rugby world cup!

HG[/quote]

[quote]After being 336-6, England lost the last five wickets - and the Ashes - for 14 runs.[/quote] BBC

Hmmm 5 wickets for 14 runs… thats pretty humiliating wouldnt ya think?

So what was this thread all about, then? Were some of our cricketers playing some kind of warm-up for the world cup? Did they bother to keep the score, and did I miss anything?

I noticed that you wrote this just one day before the England team gave Australia a lovely gift on our national day. We really should say thank you to such gracious visitors.