The Banjo Thread

May I ask what brand of Banjo is your banjo ?

No idea. It wasn’t anything valuable and it looks very old. Has a sticker that says made in Korea.

1 Like

There was a lot of banjos made out of Japan they were unbranded , cheap and very decent for the price. Quite a lot out of China now and can be decent but luck of the draw with quality control.
The one I got from the US is the cheapest US model available but I strongly suspect the tuning pegs are from China, the bridge I’d guess too.

US has really loose requirements for things to be made in the US. Basically they can make everything in China and maybe a small team of workers in the US screws a couple of parts together and it’s made in the US.

1 Like

Used to be worse, assemble almost everything, ship to country of choice, put sticker made in country of choice plus a small part, box it and voila!

1 Like
4 Likes

That’s really good picking , I think he put some rolling stones into the final part “Paint in black.”

Isn’t that the case in many countries? I remember a friend years ago talking about his brother’s job at an Austrian company that imported Chinese-made oil pumps and (apparently legally) put “made in Austria” labels on them.

The logic, as I remember, was that adding the label contributed more to the value than the actual pump, so the greatest added-value step happened in Austria.

Hmm that is stealing in my book because each easy card has an ID doesn’t it ?

What about the cash and the easycards when you return the wallets?

I’ve had a few Wallets returned without cash over the decades. Always pissed me off that one.

I don’t think that would be sufficient, they would have to add another assembly or modification step surely.

Most countries have different criteria over what constitutes legal display of these sorts of notifications. Some, unbelievably (or believably, I guess), have none at all.
And a lot of them, like an alarming number of other product notifications (look up “organic”) are insanely easy to get around.

1 Like

I’m personally aware of the shenanigans around olive oil. ‘Italian’ oil often just being poured into bottles out of barrels in Italy and magically becoming Italian.

You had any more banjos in recently?

no… considering that banjos are relatively unknown in Taiwan and only few musicians play it overall (not just Taiwan), I don’t expect to see much banjo and considering that my business has been down due to COVID (musicians not getting gigs and therefore no money to do guitar related work), I don’t expect to see any.

Last guitar I saw was a breedlove that has very bad fret wear (second fret is so badly worn that it had deeper groove than the nut and the owner still wasn’t sure if he wanted the fret level). You could actually make a sound just sliding the string along that fret since the groove was so deep.

I see many Ukelele n Taiwan., how come that instrument is so popular?
I feel in Taiwan the violin is the most popular instrument.

Chalk that up to Tiger moms’ parenting

1 Like

unfortunately ukelele is so cheap that no one will pay anything to have any work done.

Because a chimp can learn to play it

1 Like

True. The improvement to the Taiwan pop and rock.scene might be pretty amazing if as many kids were playing the electric guitar, drums etc

I see some shops packed out with Ukeles. I will have to move up my banjo quality soon, I will probably import a RK R35 when i recover from my kids tuition fees lol. The irony is that Recording King imports all the pieces from China puts them together in the USA then makes out they are made in the USA. But bang for your buck they are the best banjos , Deering are the best if money is no object, but way way way too pricey.
I have a cheap Jameson now, not bad but the neck is too narrow and the rod inside is non adjustable.