The best area to open a eatery/coffee/beer place in Taipei?

Nangang could be good, lots of offices and housing but few services.

1 Like

We do have our fair share of free-range organic gluten free beer being served in mason jars by waiters in man buns that could like just care less. The more the merrier!

1 Like

Not to mention the omelets!

Waiter/poet/activist

FIFY

2 Likes

I’d be very careful before sinking a ton of money and effort into opening up a bistro. I’ve met and seen a number crash and burn simply because the expenses were too great once they opened up. You need to a steady stream of customers to make it work and many can’t make it. Even if the food is great, that doesn’t matter. Look at the shit that passes for western food at many locally run places. Many locals can’t tell the difference and will gladly pay much less money to eat crap that looks like western food.

2 Likes

FTFY

The problem for many is that Taiwanese don’t drink alcohol.

Anyway I think Belgian pie is pretty experienced.

I would think seriously about opening a nice big place near a tech park for sure, that.can be Taipei but better in Taoyuan, Toufen, Hsinchu and Taichung. Hsinchu for sure. That’s where a lot of the money is but less choice. Even Neihu has a lot of places already.

1 Like

Best areas are nearby MRT stations , Shopping malls , night markets , Schools , Universities , but is very expensive rent and difficult to find a good spot

However another idea could be a food truck , but not sure how is the process to apply for special licenses and permits in Taipei.

For example , this one

Also look where the investment is. A lot of Taiwanese companies are reinvesting in Taiwan and moving their operations and executives back here from China. They are not investing in Taipei but rather Taoyuan, Taichung and Tainan. The service industries there are not really ready for an influx of monied clientele.

I think this is where the opportunities are.

1 Like

Maybe Neihu, near one of the lakes.

If you do undertake this, get reasonable with your pricing and a crowd will follow.

Most craft beer bars charge more for a pint than establishments in Manhattan. A good beer shouldn’t be more than 150NT; a cocktail with a proper double shot should be 180/200NT. Use pitchers of beer to clear out volume and upsell food. 24 wings and a pitcher should be around the 500NT mark.

Craft beer costs like 5000 upwards per keg, good luck with your pricing scheme.

People don’t get excited about pitchers of beer and wings. They want stuff which looks cool on Instagram.

4 Likes

I don’t care about Instagram, but I easily pay 300-400 for a good beer in a enjoyable establishment.

I won’t easily pay that and I like beer. If it gets past 200 I start thinking about it . Past 300 straight nope. And I’m a high income earner in Taiwan (just stating that for perspective ).
I kniw theres pockets of Taipei where that’s the norm such as Neihu or Daan, those places are mostly tapped out I would say . Tapped out…Get it.
I think Taoyuan will become the number two city economically in Taiwan. I know it’s hard to believe now but I think that’s where’s it heading for a few reasons.

1 Like

A 50L keg holds 105 pints. Assuming spoilage/wastage: 150NT*80Pints = 12,000NT. Only have 3-4 beers on tap to ensure volume per tap.

I’m probably the only person who values a clean restaurant, clean bathrooms, friendly staff, and a proper kitchen. Very few places offer this. I keep going back to Redpoint because of this but would like some other options. Simple food options with smaller portions. I can’t eat a gigantic plate from The Diner. I don’t mind paying a little more for Western food but if I can stay under $200 for lunch, that would be an easy sell for me.

4 Likes

I call this the ‘hidden cost of living’ in Taiwan.

1 Like

It is costly. Taiwan isn’t cheap. I can have great craft beer in the States for much less. http://www.beerknurd.com/locations/cypress-waters-flying-saucer#x

I bought some bread at my favorite sourdough bakery and spent over $400…

200-300 NT$ for the better beer is OK, I paid close to 800 NT$ for something special a few times. If beer is a way of life and you’re a beer nut, nothing is too much sometimes.

1 Like

That’s too much. I’ve had beer that costs that much but I won’t spend my own hard earned dosh on that. That is when you need company expense accounts.