The Biden Presidency

Nothing like his dad

Going to Cuba where they can’t vote is fine.

Signing a deal with Tencent, the company that blocked NBA games when daryl morey supported HK democracy movements.

Don’t have an issue with China where they can’t even vote.

2 Likes

Damn, facts hurt…
:rofl:

I’ve been to a nationals game… Pretty sure I didn’t need id, but that was 2-3 years ago. Did you pick up tickets at will call by any chance? That requires id. :wink:

Edit: been trying to find any info on game day attendance at several parks, including Washington. Can’t find any info - seems like they’d tell you to bring your id, given they have bag policy, etc online.

https://www.mlb.com/nationals/ballpark/information/guide#:~:text=No%20bags%20are%20permitted%20inside,"%20x%208"%20or%20smaller.&text=See%20GUEST%20CONDUCT%20POLICY%20(Banners%20%26%20Signs).&text=Baseball%20bats%20may%20not%20be%20brought%20into%20Nationals%20Park.

I went maybe 8-9 years ago. I specifically remember being asked for an ID. I thought that was weird. But I’m guessing security is more intense being it’s the capital. Never had any issues for any Rangers game.

Would anyone really be ideologically driven to such a degree they would tell sports teams to stop playing internationally because of an unrelated political decision?

Wow, they’ve totally lost the plot

Would anyone really be ideologically driven to such a degree they would tell sports teams to stop playing in different states because of an unrelated political decision?

Wow, they’ve totally lost the plot

5 Likes

MLB has a reason: Demand from its fan base and corporate sponsorship thet don’t want any part of racist voter suppression laws.

Canceling activity in Cuba and China would accomplish what exactly? What would the purpose of such a move even be?

2 Likes

Just to clarify, I’m not asking the MLB to stop building a baseball relationship and developing/ recruiting talent from Cuban. It’s a shame what Cuban players have to do to get over, we all know this. Nor am I saying the MLB should not develop and look for talent in places like China. None of that is political.

What I am saying it’s a bit hypocritical to base a move on “voter supression” when they are perfectly fine with doing this in countries with events and development schemes in countries that actually don’t allow voting and doing business deals with a company that banned NBA games when a NBA GM supported a democratic movement in HK.

And what the MLB did hurts the people of Atlanta and their fans, who may or may not agree with the new legislation.

3 Likes

I was just hoping to point out what looked like a flaw in that argument in a humorous way :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry, what flaw was thst? MLB has valid reasons to move the game.

People that put ‘voter suppression’ in quotes won’t get that, but theta why Altlanta is losing the game in the first place.

1 Like

The flaw was that you didn’t mention any such valid reasons, but criticized someone’s view of the move as being “ideologically driven to such a degree” based on an “unrelated political decision”, when the MLB’s move can be characterized in the same way.

1 Like

I believe we disagree on this point.

I don’t see how you could. Is the political decision somehow related to baseball?

1 Like

MLB as an institution (assuming anyone still cares about it) has played a fundamental and central role in breaking down institutional racism in the US going back to the 40s.

Its leveraging its economic and social power to protest an racist attack on US democracy and its values in the hopes of pressuring GA to rethink this. That is a valid reason for moving the game.

I never said there wasn’t a valid reason. I said your initial argument was flawed.

Right. I don’t think moving the game is ideilogical since there are valid necessary reasons for it.

I believe a counter protest in the form of proposed boycotts of Cuban exhibition games and player development sites in China is.

These seem like entirely unconnected situations

But your initial argument called someone “ideologically driven” entirely because of their willingness to “tell sports teams to stop playing in different states because of an unrelated political decision”, which for all intents is what MLB did :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Charles Barkley 2024…

6 Likes