The Biden Taiwan & China Thread

Even the Nazis had to force people into conscription to join the military. Brainwashing only does so much. They are perfectly fine with coming to kill me to complete their Chinese empire.

1 Like

Really recommend this book to those who have yet to read it.

Very eye-opening.

Hey. You’re not Taiwanese and have no skin in this. What do you know?

1 Like

Really sad. You are mindlessly ‘othering’ over a billion people, out of fear they are ‘othering’ you. You are coming across as quite hyperbolic and are jumping to some pretty spectacular conclusions.

Seems productive.

3 Likes

Ok, but what you said and what I said can both be true to degrees.

They may feel that way, it’s because they’ve been prodded and trained to do so since early education, leading into their adult lives with CCP propaganda.

Sure people have access to outside info but it’s dwarfed by CCP. Not so different from NK, in terms of a population held relatively captive.

1 Like

They are not ‘othering’ us. They are trying to kill us.

I do live in Taiwan, and have lived in China. I’d say I have at least as much skin in the game as you at the moment, given that you’ve left Taiwan to go live in the UK, after previously living in Italy, while thinking you deserve stimulus checks from the US government. :man_shrugging:

I remember from one of your previous posts that you seem to believe that only citizens of a place have a right to opinions about a place, though. Dumb attitude. :joy:

1 Like

Completely different. Chinese people travel freely. Get information from the outside world with ease. They choose to be like this because it betters their position and is in tune with how they feel. Taiwan is the open wound on on their national embarrassment was the fall of the Qing empire.

1 Like

You’d get call to the military when they come? You’ll fight? Your family is in Taiwan?

What does me pursuing my education have to do with anything. Doesn’t make me any less Taiwanese.

Don’t even. You’ll be gone first sign of war. Dumb comment.

No I didn’t. Don’t strawman me.

I said citizens have more understanding and skin in the game.

Already gone like you have, you mean? Lol

Are they? Would not they start with the 400,000+ Taiwanese working in China right now? The sky is not falling, but the atmosphere is obviously tense. If China was much further down the road of ‘othering’ Taiwanese, the TW government would, at the very least, ban TW nationals from going to China, and have a much stronger compulsory military service policy in place like South Korea’s. Currently, it is stupidly easy to wiggle out of if you know the right people/doctors. Right now, saying that China is trying to kill Taiwanese is hyperbole at best. I hope more than anything it will remain hyperbole.

Seriously the fearmongering you seem to be captive to is not healthy for your mind. “Othering” can obviously lead to killing, but it is not happening now, and I hope it never will happen.

2 Likes

But not that easily, for many. And even if they do, they might choose to not believe it. We can venture into ‘people get the government they deserve’ territory, sure, but this generation, they’re under CCP thumb, as a result of a longer development.

I also think a lot of the ‘dominate TW’ bravado coming from citizens there is just that, shittalk. In their hearts I think many people there are more passionate about the shittalking than the actual thought of boots on the ground.

They’re trained to hate and shittalk more than they are to become willing soldiers. Because the goal of CCP in teaching them to hate is to use nationalism to make them loyal.

I’m pursuing my masters. It’s laughable you think this is somehow me abandoned my country. What’s your problem?

That’s your opinion. You’re not getting called to the military when you’re wrong.

Ahhhh whataboutism. So good to see you!

Large numbers of Americans protested against the war in Iraq before the war even began, and even after 9/11, public opinion in the US was decidedly mixed.

Abu Ghraib was covered extensively by the media because lots of Americans were unhappy with things that were being done during the war.

Genuine question: how many Chinese in China even know about China’s human rights atrocities, what do they think about them (have any public opinion polls?) and are any of them publicly protesting what their government is doing?

What the US does and has done overseas is certainly fair game for discussion, but I think the broader issue is that in the US, it’s an established fact that large numbers of Americans are unhappy with these things and there are vocal groups that publicly and privately fight for change, even within the ranks of the elected and unelected government). Journalists in the US shine a light on issues like Abu Ghraib without fear of censorship or worse.

As far as I can tell, few if any of these checks and balances exist in China.

2 Likes

What do you think will happen if Taiwan declares independence?

1 Like

You absolutely did, and I’m absolutely not strawmanning you. Now you are lying.

It was in one of your previous posts months ago, I think about the U.S. elections, where you were claiming that Canadians etc. couldn’t have a meaningful opinion on U.S. politics. Not that I have any inclination to sift through your post history to prove you wrong, though.

1 Like

Oh they know. They just don’t care or believe it. Or they will use the classic “but America did this” justification. That’s like CCP shill 101.

It is. China’s MO isn’t taking over via military force. It’s a zero sum game for them, if they were to think about TW. Because the US has strategic interests here, even ignoring caring about TW.

And its people are trained to be loyal, through hating other places, like any nationalist government MO. The goal isn’t to steamroll the world militarily, they just don’t want their people to turn on them, so they distract them with enemies.

1 Like