The Biden Taiwan & China Thread

2 Likes

Latest developments

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/us-carrier-group-enters-south-china-sea-amid-taiwan-tensions-14031552

4 Likes

TAIPEI: A US aircraft carrier group led by the USS Theodore Roosevelt has entered the South China Sea to promote “freedom of the seas”

I love the wording.

3 Likes

A little bit warmer in these parts the past few days.

1 Like

And even warmer yesterday.

In what could be a new tactic by the Biden administration to deter the daily incursions by Chinese warplanes in Taiwan’s ADIZ, aircraft spotters detected a USN Lockheed EP-3E ARIES II electronic warfare and reconnaissance aircraft flying on a nearly parallel path with a People’s Liberation Army Air Force (PLAAF) Shaanxi Y-8G electronic aircraft.

1 Like

The US should have nuked China out of oblivion while there was a chance tbh.

1 Like

The US basically made China.

And the US doesn’t even need to nuke China to take it out. The US could decimate China with conventional weapons. Everyone talks about nukes, but there are conventional weapons today that are effectively nuclear in terms of their ability to destroy.

China’s biggest Achilles’ heel, among many, is that it relies so heavily on imported energy. In a war, cutting off China’s supply of imported oil and gas will be its undoing. See: Japan in WW2.

The US taking China out is not a matter of capability. It’s a matter of will.

Bit of a caveman take here, it seems. I guess in your eyes, countless innocent civilians dying in China via collateral damage would be justifiable since the “greater good” is being served? If COIN math has any legitimacy (and I think it does), your notion - acted out - would cause so much more instability for generations to come. The blowback would be unimaginable.

It saddens me that so many are willing to mercilessly judge the populations of entire nation-states, simply because the government in charge of that state is evil. Many, if not most citizens under oppressive rulers have no real say in the process of those currently governing them being elected; they are simply trying to survive. I am sure we can agree on this point.

3 Likes

I don’t care.

I am so sick of all this “separate the people and the government” bullshit. Guess what. The vast majority of PRC nationals support their government. I am not responsible for their ignorance and lack of critical thinking. They can all die tomorrow and I would not shed a tear.

Their government, which they overwhelmingly LOVE, has made it very clear that it’s either we suffer or they suffer. Between the two I obviously choose the latter.

1 Like

Idk why people do this. Do they thing the government just randomly think of putting Uighurs in camps one day? The Chinese Hans have always hated the Uighurs, they fully support the government in doing this. The CCP is e vanguard of the Chinese people. They enjoy overwhelming support because they do what the people want.

Painting with too large of a brush on this matter, lumping everyone lazily into the same basket in the PRC, would be a terrible mistake and would play right into CCP hands. Labelling theory is real.

People’s true feelings are highly censored in China - you say anything counter to or critical of the CCP narrative on social media/WeChat, and you really are playing with fire. You do it enough, or are a big enough fish on social media, you will be invited to tea and then thrown into jail, ranging from a few days to a couple of years or more. The chilling effect from thousands of these instances witnessed by the general population undeniably plays a role in the lack of public discontent shown.

You all know this. Sure, it is a big spectrum - many people keep their head down and toe the line, while others don’t even want to engage in matters such as how good or bad their government is - for they realize their opinion would have no weight and could only invite calamity. Others yes, are brainwashed and are addicted to the drugs of nationalism and jingoism - as is increasingly happening in my home country the US.

It is outstandingly irresponsible to assume the “vast majority” of PRC nationals support their government. The truth is much MUCH more complex, and there is more internal discord and tension than meets the eye. One hell of a way to chip away at that though is to foolishly label all or most of them as CCP sycophants.

*edited to be more factually accurate

5 Likes

So much this

5 Likes

Hahah :joy:

The biggest China chills don’t even live in China.

Stop thinking Chinese people are victims or oppressed. They’re fully enjoying and supporting what’s going on in their country.

Seriously, tell us all with a straight face the majority of Chinese people don’t support taking Taiwan by force. Meaning they want to come kill me on a land they’ve never set foot on to complete their Chinese empire. Go on. Tell us that’s just them suppressing their true feelings.

3 Likes

Whos idea is it to treat Uighurs like this? The government or the people?

Government

2 Likes

Well, many have been brainwashed (starting as kids in the education system, no?). And there are many aren’t who have to stay silent to preserve themselves. Probably all been covered, just saying.

1 Like

False.

You might not get the talk. But living in China, I was constantly warned of them and how they’re dangerous and not like us Chinese. This is what the Chinese people wanted.

Their views on many things are complex, which do not concern me at all. I don’t give a fuck. But I know that their views on Taiwan are not. How many Chinese nationals have you met that don’t believe Taiwan is rightfully theirs and would not support invasion in the event that Taiwan declares independence?

1 Like

Do you blame individual Americans for Abu Ghraib ?

3 Likes

Aren’t you in the UK? That attitude is almost as deluded as Gain’s comments.