The Biden Taiwan & China Thread

She was supposed to be Taiwanese American lol.
However I don’t see anything surprising there, , officials often ask the grunts to do personal shit.

1 Like

Foremost is a clear play on Formosa.

1 Like

Looks like Biden about to make some new fans in these parts. :thinking:

The United States, Canada, Britain, and the European Union are set to announce an array of sanctions on China on Monday over what U.S. officials have called a genocidal campaign against Uyghur Muslims, according to two people familiar with the issue.

The sanctions are expected to vary in type, and will include Global Magnitsky economic sanctions on individuals alleged to be involved with the mistreatment of the Muslims in the Xinjiang region of China.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: From Biden Taiwan

This is the real threat to China. They need to shift to value added high tech manufacturing like pronto…pass that cheap shit off to the subsidiaries in Africa or something. Watching a hardhanded centralized Chinese “response” to this catastrophic population decline on CNN live should be something.

In any event, China’s population will shrink fast. The Chinese Academy of Social Sciences projects China’s population will halve by 2100 if the TFR drops from 1.6 to 1.3.

China’s TFR, however, is far lower than 1.3. If its TFR stabilizes at 1.2—1.2 would represent a big increase—China will have a population of only 480 million by the end of the century.

If the TFR does not increase from where it is now, the country by then could end up around the 400 million mark. To put this in context, the United States, according to the U.N.’s latest projections, will have a population of 433.9 million in 2100, up from 331.0 million as of last year.

China now has a crisis. “Once it slips below 1.5, a country falls into the trap of low fertility and is unlikely to recover,” said He Yafu to the Communist Party’s Global Times . China is already well below that figure.

Beijing does not believe China’s population will begin to decline until 2028. Some believe it in fact began contracting in 2018, something evident by falling births.

Cite? The World Factbook from the CIA says 1.6 in 2021.

Check the article?

I know that my go to geopolitical guy says the same thing about China. Their population is about the crash harder than Russia’s. WHy do you think they are trying to grab all the cookies they can now?

He cites the UN figures for the US in 2100 as 447 million. The exact same table produces figures for China having a population of 1.02 billion. Why report one but not the other?

The University of Wisconsin’s Yi told TNI that China’s TFR last year was 0.90 and could not have exceeded 1.1. Yi’s estimate is on the low end but is consistent with China Daily ’s reporting of [1.05 in 2015]
(Government needs to do more to arrest population peaking - Chinadaily.com.cn).

From that China Daily report

Although the two-child policy helped push the fertility rate from 1.05 in 2015 to above 1.5 in 2016 and 2017, it contracted to 1.49 in 2018 and 1.47 in 2019, and the falling trend is continuing.

Must have forgotten that part, huh? So the China Daily thinks the birthrate is lower than 1.47; maybe 1.43 for 2021. I can believe that.
China is facing a demographic reduction for sure.
(America has a TFR of 1.73 (2.01 for immigrant women, 1.69 for native-born); its population will increase due largely to immigration from Central America and Asia.)

As for the author:

Since 2001, Chang has made predictions that the Chinese government will eventually collapse.[13][14] Shen Dingli, director of the Center for American Studies at Fudan University, wrote that Chang’s predictions “collapse his own credibility.”[ citation needed ] John Tamny of RealClearMarkets has criticized Chang’s predictions and analyses about China, stating that Chang possesses “limited knowledge of simple economics” and that “Chang’s feel for China has been impressively incorrect for close to twenty years, and if his latest commentary is at all indicative of his grasp of what authors economic growth, Chang’s batting average on the matter of China isn’t about to improve.”

If state media is saying something bad. it must be REALLY bad.

2 Likes

In yesterday’s Pudding Presser, Biden said he had HOURS of one on one meetings with Xi, just him and me and the translators. Uhm, hey Joe, where you going with those transcripts in your hand?

NO follow up Q about that.

So I spent hours upon hours with him alone with an interpreter, my interpreter and his, going into great detail. [inaudible 00:43:56] very, very straightforward. He doesn’t have a democratic with a small D bone in his body, but he’s a smart, smart guy. He’s one of the guys like Putin who thinks that autocracy is the wave of the future and democracy can’t function in an ever complex world.

1 Like

That was the scariest part of his clueless/spacey presser was he supposed to say that?

I still applaud him for what he said. But I also would like more info on what happened.

He claimed he turned in his notes, so they should be available.

Good look at US-China relations from a Japanese perspective, and focusing on Biden then and now

When China set up its ADIZ in the East China Sea the following month [December2013], tensions flared.
Interestingly, after the Xi-Biden meeting at the end of 2013, the U.S. stopped using the term “major power relations.”
Biden had hoped Xi would be an open-minded leader and maintained a China-friendly posture. But with Xi taking a tough, military-first line, Biden had no choice but to alter his stance.

A sense of caution then grew within the Obama administration, and three months later, when Obama met Xi at The Hague in the Netherlands, the American leader made no mention of “major power relations.”
The episode marked the beginning of a long, gradual deterioration of U.S.-China relations – long before Trump won the 2016 U.S. presidential election with his “America First” agenda.

Let’s see them then.

1 Like

Go ahead and look.

I’d love to. Where they at?

Liking what I’m seeing:

TOKYO – Japan and the U.S. plan to affirm the importance of stability in the Taiwan Strait when Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga visits Washington next month for a summit with President Joe Biden, Nikkei has learned.

The two sides are in discussions to include the passage on Taiwan in a joint statement after the summit. Both countries also intend to take a unified stance opposing China’s new law empowering the coast guard.

Such a statement on Taiwan would mark a rare public expression of concern by U.S. and Japanese leaders. The last time was 1969, when Prime Minister Eisaku Sato and President Richard Nixon stressed in a statement that Taiwan’s security is crucial for Japan’s security.

2 Likes

Thought this would be discussed more in these parts? :confused:

Think we can bin ‘Beijing Biden’ now, as cute as it was. :sweat_smile:

US President Joe Biden sent an unofficial delegation of former officials to Taiwan on Wednesday in a signal of support for the island, which China claims as its own.

Former Senator Chris Dodd, and former Deputy Secretaries of State Richard Armitage and James Steinberg arrived in Taiwan on Wednesday afternoon.

“Once again this visit demonstrates the firm relationship between Taiwan and the United States,” said Xavier Chang, the spokesman for Taiwan’s presidential office. The bond is “strong as a rock.”

https://twitter.com/StateDeptSpox/status/1380606949029507076?s=20

2 Likes

Biden’s Afghanistan Withdrawal Is a Blow for China

The prospect of civil war between the Taliban and the Kabul government bodes ill for Beijing’s interests.
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-04-15/biden-s-afghanistan-withdrawal-is-a-blow-for-china

1 Like

Beijing has been making Biden’s job easy along with the rest of the western world with what they’re doing. How do they think the west and their neighbors would respond to all the BS recently especially since they really botched containing the pandemic.