The Biden Taiwan & China Thread

How do you know I’m not?

Good point.

Biden has indicated that he intends to try “to cooperate with Beijing on issues where our interests converge, such as climate change, non-proliferation and global health security.” The question is how you do that with an autocrat who is fashioning himself as a new Mao, and who is making it clear that he’s going to do whatever the hell he wants in Hong Kong.

Can you really cooperate meaningfully with China in some areas while using strong pressure to bend China to your will in other areas that China considers fundamentally important to its goals?

The good news is that I think Biden is likely to pay more attention to China’s human rights abuses than Trump. Trump only cared about money and any expression of concern for human rights was mostly lip service in my opinion.

But here too, it’s hard to understand how Biden will fashion policy that contemplates meaningful cooperation with a country and leader he’s accused of engaging in genocide.

1 Like

The danger from U.S. dependence on trade with China has been growing across more than three decades. Administrations before Trump’s clung to an increasingly forlorn hope that opening U.S. markets to Chinese goods would mean cheaper materials for U.S. industries and a growing Chinese commitment to democracy and open markets.

By 2016, though, China’s aims were clear: Create a domestic alternative to practically every technology it bought from the United States, then allow these Chinese tech companies to squeeze out their Western competitors. Safe from competition at home, the flourishing Chinese companies could target foreign markets, too. Meanwhile, the doctrine of “civil-military fusion” would ensure that the People’s Liberation Army benefited from its domestic commercial technology development.

Biden is already signaling that he wants to use Cold War authorities to overcome the supply-chain challenges posed by the pandemic. That’s a good first step. But in the next crisis, the shortages could be in electric transformers or rare earths or basic computer components - and we’d better be ready.

Right now, that battle begins in Taiwan.

I’m guessing the answer is no but Biden will give it a try

Agreed.

Hoping he can use multilateralism to correctively isolate them. Again, the TPP. It would also provide a non Chinese market for US goods as an alternative to an endless trade war.
Xi is going to test Biden, that’s for sure. I hope he finds some success.

2 Likes

What’s the difference between accusing someone you might know or not of heinous crimes such as pedophilia, sex trafficking, voter fraud. How is it ok to make baseless claims against politicians you are not in favor of but not against users here on this forum?

They’re public figures and are fair game. People here on the forums are private citizens with free speech. And we don’t want to get the forum sued.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-national-security-pick-jake-sullivan-us-chinas

Biden’s picks have been a mixed bag so far. Not a fan of this pick.

1 Like

sigh

So basically a lame-duck cabinet, I hope the president won’t be lame as well :v

Tbf, some of his other choices seem more willing to push back. Just definitely not this guy.

1 Like

This is how modern diplomacy works unless you completely cut off ties there has to be cooperation at some level.

1 Like

Everything that I have heard from industry leaders in the American Chamber of Commerce seem to suggest Biden will be tougher on China than Trump. Tougher in the sense of more effective policy employing multilateralism to contain China while moving away from a unilateral trade war that harms US companies. Rhetoric may be toned down, but at the end of the day it’s not the tweets, it’s the results that matter.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: From The Biden Taiwan and China thread

Biden is basically rolling out a team of career DC creatures who have, largely, failed upwards for the past twenty years. Most people in areas of influence were in the Obama administration which could barely find Asia on a map; Blinken is the best example though he looks good compared to somebody like Susan Rice, who would have been unquestionably terrible. The US will likely turn to Europe and end up in another war in the ME and largely leave China to do whatever they please.

Flournoy is coming in from lobbying for the defense industry, has never seen a war that she didn’t like but…likes China and wants to work together to combat climate change or some damn thing that I don’t want the Pentagon chief concerning themself with.

Jake Sullivan is probably the only obviously terrible selection thus far of people who have some influence.

Thus…my prediction isn’t that Biden will be good or bad but that he simply won’t do that much and will be ineffective.

4 Likes

The big problem is that if Biden doesn’t do that much, it benefits China. Time is on China’s side if no pressure is applied.

1 Like

Must listen , Jake Sullivan talking last year on potential China policy

Big takeaway from this was that Sullivan and intelligence community very cognizant of mistakes made with China during Obama years and very committed to not happening again

Wtf is this meeting.

WTF is this source?

No one else is reporting it.

Simple Google search…ahhh that explains it. It’s Breitbart.

Raheem Kassam (born 1 August 1986)[1] is a British political activist, former editor-in-chief of Breitbart News London, and former chief adviser to former UK Independence Party (UKIP) leader Nigel Farage.[2] He has been described as far-right[3][4][5] and right-wing[6

Oh wait, there’s more

Kassam has described Islam as a “fascistic and totalitarian ideology”,[37] described the Quran as ‘fundamentally evil’[38] and stated that “we are war with Shari’a”[39] and has supported curbing Muslim immigration to the United Kingdom.[40]

Kassam’s political and media strategies have been floated on US far-right “shock and awful” tactics which have seen him openly advise UKIP leader Nigel Farage to make controversial remarks against HIV patients in 2015.[41][42] Kassam has been a persistent critic of Labour Party Mayor of London Sadiq Khan, accusing him of turning the city into a “Shithole”.[43] and accusing him of having links to terrorism and extremism.[44]

What a horrible human being.