The Blues Power Hour on ICRT

Hello,
I’d like to announce a brand new program, ‘The Blues Power Hour’ on ICRT.

Now, now. Don’t groan!

This is my baby - a weekly, one-hour show dedicated to the Blues. All kinds of Blues: Chicago Blues, Delta Blues, Country Blues, Texas Blues, Blues-Rock and Blues-y Jazz.

All the music played will come from my own personal collection (or borrowed from other Blues lovers).

The show will first air on September 21st at 11pm and then every Sunday thereafter until ICRT management finds out what I’m doing (i.e. playing some decent music for a change!)

Sunday nights is the right time to be with the one you love. Grab a drink, grab a smoke, get your mojo workin’ and settle in for an hour of truly good music.

D.C. Rapier
theblues@icrt.com.tw

Great news!

Good luck with the show. Just don’t talk too much. Let the music be the show.

First complaint: One hour of blues is not enough. :slight_smile:

PS. How about getting some tickets for the Rolling Stones and Carlos Santana shows druing the HK Harbour Fest and giving them away on your new show as a promotion?

Good stuff D.C. I’ll have to pick up some bourbon this weekend as preparation.

So this’ll be on right before the jazz show? Wonderful! Apart from the jazz show, the only time I ever used to listen to ICRT was when they used to air that syndicated blues show (BB King Blues Hour?).
Good news indeed. Time to get my old 335 out of mothballs.

Shit Sandman before I read your post I was going to ask for his very first tune to be “The Thrill Has Gone.”

[quote=“Palandiliar”]I’d like to announce a brand new program, ‘The Blues Power Hour’ on ICRT.

The show will first air on September 21st[/quote]
Commemorating the 921 earthquake? Make your tunes that night shake up Taiwan’s radio waves with energy equal to the Nantou earthquake.

Any of you forumosans have any great first song suggestions?

I would like to hear any song by Etta James.

[quote]Any of you forumosans have any great first song suggestions?
[/quote]

Double Crossin’ Time off the Beano Album by John Mayall’s Bluesbreakers. Clapton’s best blues solo ever.

Don’t forget Elvin Bishop…

“Going Down” - Jeff Beck

“London Blues” - Canned Heat

Hey, Y’all,
Great ideas for songs. Thanks. I got most of 'em covered. I’m taping this show a couple of weeks in advance of broadcast. So, if you don’t hear your favorite right away be patient.

[/list]Muddy Waters, BB, Clapton, Howlin’ Wolf, Koko Taylor, Little Walter, John Lee Hooker, Stevie Rave-on, Sleepy John Estes, Mississippi John Hurt, Buddy Guy, Otis rush, Gatemouth Brown, Ledbelly, Paul Butterfield & Co, Lowell Fulsom, Elmore James, Son House, Lightnnin’ Hopkins, Etta, Billy, Dinah, Minnie, James Cotton, Big Bill Broonzy, Artthur Crudup, Sonny Boy Williamson (1&2), Big Joe Turner, Bo Diddley, Robert Lockwood Jr, Louis Jordan[/list]
Oh, yeah, and Robert Johnson!

You’re right about one hour not being enough. If the show gets a good response, they’ll let me do two hours. So, spread the word. (I’m doing this for free until the show gets a sponsor.) If I get a second hour, I thought the second hour could be more R&B oriented. Any thoughts?

Blues to you’s,
D.C. Rapier
theblues@icrt.com.tw

[quote=“Palandiliar”]
You’re right about one hour not being enough. If the show gets a good response, they’ll let me do two hours. So, spread the word. (I’m doing this for free until the show gets a sponsor.) If I get a second hour, I thought the second hour could be more R&B oriented. Any thoughts?

Blues to you’s,
D.C. Rapier
theblues@icrt.com.tw[/quote]

How should we show our support? Writing letters? How will they know a lot of us are listening?

How much to sponsor the show? :slight_smile: Bet it ain’t cheap.

Hobart

[quote]Muddy Waters, BB, Clapton, Howlin’ Wolf, Koko Taylor, Little Walter, John Lee Hooker, Stevie Rave-on, Sleepy John Estes, Mississippi John Hurt, Buddy Guy, Otis rush, Gatemouth Brown, Ledbelly, Paul Butterfield & Co, Lowell Fulsom, Elmore James, Son House, Lightnnin’ Hopkins, Etta, Billy, Dinah, Minnie, James Cotton, Big Bill Broonzy, Artthur Crudup, Sonny Boy Williamson (1&2), Big Joe Turner, Bo Diddley, Robert Lockwood Jr, Louis Jordan[/list]
Oh, yeah, and Robert Johnson!
[/quote]

Did you break into my house? Next time, turn on the lights – ya missed some of my better CDs.

Seriously, some great stuff there. Looks like your show’ll really be worth a listen.

Hey, thanks for the encouragement.

If you want to show support for the show, just visit the ICRT web site, www.icrt.com.tw click on ‘viewer comments’ and write a line or two about how much you like hearing Blues on the radio.

If you have any special song or artist, let me know and I’ll do my best to play it. Just remember, the show is taped three or four weeks in advance.

The first show will feature Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters and Eric Clapton with some John Lee Hooker and Sonny Boy Williamson thrown in for good measure.

Blues Power,
D.C. Rapier

[quote=“Palandiliar”]Hello,
I’d like to announce a brand new program, ‘The Blues Power Hour’ on ICRT.

Now, now. Don’t groan!

This is my baby - a weekly, one-hour show dedicated to the Blues. All kinds of Blues: Chicago Blues, Delta Blues, Country Blues, Texas Blues, Blues-Rock and Blues-y Jazz.[/quote]

D.C. Rapier

How does one go about getting a show on ICRT? Did you have to apply? Do you know some people there who are they were impressed with your knowledge of the blues? No, I don’t want my own show, but I’ve always wondered how things work at ICRT.

Hello,
Basically, I wrote a proposal to ICRT management which described the format of the show and offered reasons for having the show on ICRT and included a short resume and bio.
Weeks before I submitted the proposal, I had organized a small email campaign of friends to write ICRT asking about playing the Blues. I believe that management perceived a need and I was there to fill it.
I don’t think that this should be considered indicative of how things work at ICRT. From what I have seen, things ‘work’ at ICRT on a truly dysfunctional level.
Cheers,
D.C. Rapier

But didn’t they find it strange that suddenly they are going from no e-mails about the blues to just as many e-mails about the blues as there are requests for Justin Timberlake?

Obviously not. I got the show. We’re not talking about the most perspicacious bunch.
DC Rapier

You might want to consider editing one or two of your posts, Palandiliar. You might not be aware of this, but several of the moderators are going to be on ICRT pretty soon, so there’s every reason to believe that one or two ICRT pointy-heads will be taking a look at some of the threads here.
Biting the hand that feeds and all that, eh?
Best of luck with the show. Let’s hope its a long-running one.