The Carrefour 2020 Thread

I know of CitySuper (we don’t have one in KH) but by Mitsukoshi do you mean the department store? Not sure how they’re the same unless you mean how department stores will normally have a supermarket on one of the basement floors?

Who is Carrefour’s local partner? President Corp?

Carrefour doesn’t need a partner, they’re French

2 Likes

As a first time shopper in the Sanmin Carrefour last night can I say what a pleasant experience that was? Spacious, big range of products, so much better than Weelcum and cheaper than Jaysoons. Vive le :fr:!

2 Likes

French love bureaucracy and shuffling paper as much as the Taiwanese, so it is a bit of a match made in heaven out here for them. Throw in some price fixing with PX mart on some major staples, and they are really onto a winner.

2 Likes

Uni-President it’s sister President Chain Store Corp. generally have around 40% although they have bought in and sold out large percentages as it suited their business, they’ve consistently been very much the silent partner.

2 Likes

thats what i thought

lol but mais we ! Eeverybody needs a partner, you don’t want sex ?

1 Like

thats one of the big carrefours. i agree, those are great. but wellcomes are getting replaced with the small carrefours not those.

That’s one way to occupy (fix) most of the retail market. At least carrefour had improved a lot over the years. Except their fresh produce is poor.

1 Like

PX Mart Destroyed Wellcome and basically the whole Taiwanese retail market. They have like 1000 location now.

When I worked in Taiwan retail had a rule that if you wanted to sell something in PX had to be 20% cheaper than Wellcome.

2 Likes

I thought Wellcome’s price premium had to do with their better opening hours.

Not only Carrefour’s problem, Costco, PX mart, Wellcome, all of them.

3 Likes

Jason’s was actually doing pretty well as a hug end supermarket, thats why you saw new Jason’s being opened and Wellcome’s in nicer areas turning to Jasons

“… it plans to place the Wellcome outlets under its Carrefour Market (家樂福便利購) banner within one year of the deal being finalized, and convert the Jasons Market Place outlets to a Carrefour premium banner, given most of those stores are located in shopping malls and department stores …”

“We would have different strategies to operate the two supermarket chains, as they target different groups of customers and offer different products”

2 Likes

We would have different strategies to operate the two supermarket chains, as they target different groups of customers and offer different products

Translation: we will gouge foreigners eyes out.

3 Likes

In what sense? I don’t go there too often, but I didn’t notice a difference compared to other supermarkets. (I’ve been enjoying the big bags of passion fruit for ~140 TWD lately, as my local grocery store doesn’t stock them at the moment.)

1 Like

Fruit is often not good, not fresh e.g bala

1 Like

Fruit and veg are 2 things I don’t even consider buying in Carrefour anymore, generally crap.

The greens sit there a bit longer than PX Mart. You can generally tell by the condensation inside the packet. Could vary a bit by location I suppose.

Not specifically produce, but all the trays of mystery meat in marinade are just gross. I bought some fish off the pretend fishmonger they have there once, it was clearly out of the deep freeze as it just flaked apart after being cooked.

4 Likes