The Carrefour 2020 Thread

Hit the little speakers! https://translate.google.com.tw/#view=home&op=translate&sl=fr&tl=zh-TW&text=Carrefour%20supermarché

1 Like

At Carrefour I’ve seen products I like disappear and not return. At Jason’s I see lots of other brands no other places have, it’s nice to have them here in Taiwan.

With these acquisitions I hope Carrefour expands their product offering and learns a thing or two about supply.

Just purr like a kitten.

Man it sucks to lose Jason’s and Wellcome.

As to foreign stuff, we still have CitySuper and the Mitsukoshi supermarkets.

2 Likes

I quite like Carrefour - decent selection of beers (Belgian, and six-packs of Red Horse at 8% :yum:) and other imported stuff like chocolate and cereal that are difficult to find anywhere else.

I’ve never really bothered with Jason’s as most of the stuff I’d buy there (with a few exceptions) seem ridiculously overpriced, even compared to Wellcome (which I only really go to when PX Mart is shut or to buy a few small things).

What’s CitySuper like? I’ve never been to one of those. I wasn’t even aware they had stores in Taiwan actually, until I just checked Google Maps.

2 Likes

Dammit, this takeover news sucks. I much prefer Jason’s to Carrefours. I can only get my IPAs and good cheeses/ deli meats at Jason’s. Overpriced, yes… but there when I really crave it.

What are the regulator’s smoking to let this one through? With their greater buying power Carrefour will be able to put a hurting on PX mart.

The two of them will carve up the market. PXmart is ubiquitous as well and they bought out matsusei.

1 Like

I think it is not as bad as some other countries where oligopoly supermarkets can control logistics and transport. But still not good.

The other week I popped into my local hardware store to get a replacement head for my ‘Tank’ mop. They said Carrefour has the exclusive rights to sell this mop head now and they are not allowed to sell it. Not really looking after the little guy are they?

I liked carrefour and wellcome, they were slightly different, would they keep their identities or will welcome become a mini carrefour?

I’m guessing wellcome will become something in between carrefour and carrefour market.

1 Like

I guess they’ll be “Carrefour Market” type things, these more standard supermarkets they have now. I guess it wouldn’t make sense for them to duplicate offices, purchasing, etc.

Was Wellcome HK based? I always felt it was slightly HK like in there.

NVM. the article answered that question :slight_smile:

Kind of strange, France has laws, partially to preserve the small shops, supply, uniqueness, etc. to prevent just what Carrefour (a large French multinational corporation) is doing in Taiwan.

1 Like

Did someone want to get word over to Aldi that there is a premium market here ripe for picking? Taiwanese would go mad over massive Aldi sized trays of meat.

3 Likes

both of these weren’t there when i left in 99.
last visited in 2012. And THAT was/is now ten years ago. Gee time for another visit !
After the corona of course as nobody can really go anywhere right now.

When i left in 99 i didnt come back for a visit till 2009 and man TAiwan felt like a different country. I felt things similar but i felt it was a different country for a few days. What has changed from 2012 to 2022??

Aldi should do a Trader Joe’s in Taiwan. Its a hit here, should work in Taiwan too.

https://www.thekitchn.com/aldi-trader-joes-parent-company-rumor-260999

3 Likes

This ain’t really great news. all these wellcomes are going to turn into the smaller carrefours. Which are no better than pxmarts. So basically we just lose a choice, from 3 down to 2.

Now if they built more of the big carrefours that would be great, they are strictly the best supermarkets here but if you don’t live nearby, a bit of a pain to get to.

Carrefor deluxe or whatever its going to be is an unknown entity, it could be better than jasons. could be worse. who knows. I’m not a huge fan of jasons anyway, they never have anything i’m looking for. i hope the new place has more imported stuff.

Fuck gherr4 , i will miss Wellcome

Customers were avoiding supermarkets because of covid-19. Convenience stores profited in Q1 2020.

1 Like

At least people will start to spell “welcome” correctly.

4 Likes