The Carrefour 2023 Thread

That’s a good deal, even if Cheddar is not a great cheese :stuck_out_tongue:

In the country of the blind, the one-eyed is king.

In war time, any hole is a trench.

3 Likes

Amen.

En tiempos de guerra, cualquier hueco es trinchera. :rofl:

Cheddar is good for cooking, it is an excellent price.

4 Likes

Just smell it, if it smell like molded (mold has a special odor) don’t use it, if it does smell normal like neutral/floury it’s OK. You really can smell if it’s good or not, and it depends on how it was stored.

Do they still have black beans or refried beans? I can’t find it at Jason’s :sob:

Also does anyone know any breads that are vegan??? I really don’t feel like making it or ordering it.

Omg… At least I didn’t put 2013 like I did earlier

I’ve noticed refried beans recently.

I haven’t looked for black beans recently, but it looks like they’re available in the online store.

2 Likes

Alright I’ll get off my ass. Thanks

My haul that nobody asked for.

Also I met another foreigner :+1:

7 Likes

I’d like to hear a review of those! I’m not sure if those frozen foods would both satisfy my desire for western food and keep my vegetarian wife happy, or result in both of us being miserable.

Actually, I make a whole bunch of soups and stews with sausages - those vegetarian sausages may be useful.

2 Likes

Wow, didn’t know there was a Linda McCartney line of foods. Thanks for the haul and please review them when you can.

1 Like

Surprising things sometimes show up in the Carrefour frozen foods section. One product I like is the Deli France onion rolls - not the best bread by any means, but useful for keeping in the freezer and heating in the oven (10 minutes) to go with a soup or salad or whatever.

3 Likes

Isn’t bread vegan by definition? Or does yeast count as non vegan?

1 Like

Most of my bread machine recipes have a little milk powder, which would disqualify them for vegans.

2 Likes

Really?

To me, bread has water, flour, yeast or levain and salt. Everything else is bread with things.

3 Likes

No idea really, but I guess the bread machine instructions don’t want to say “white bread with milk powder”, or “whole wheat with milk powder”.

Main point being that I wouldn’t assume bread is vegan (especially from an industrial bakery like what I assume Carrefour has).

1 Like

I agree, but it nonetheless seems a risky assumption in Taiwan. You never know when there might be a bit of milk, eggs, butter, or pork floss lurking inside. :grimacing:

4 Likes

I’d never heard of putting milk powder in bread actually. Seems like it’s something fairly specific to bread machines?

I have used 50% milk/50% water before in certain bread recipes (British baps, for example), but I didn’t find it made enough of a difference to my simple palate to justify using it, especially because I often don’t have milk in the house.

Huh, I don’t think I’ve looked into this before. I just follow recipes, and most of the bread machine recipes include milk powder; like you say, I’ve never used it for bread otherwise. A couple of sources suggest reasons like this:

Milk or milk powder are not strictly needed in bread recipes. There are many formulas that omit it: the minimal ingredients for a loaf are water, flour and yeast; salt is probably essential for a loaf that is tasty.

Milk (or milk powder) is a way of enhancing the dough to:

• Make a softer loaf (due to the milkfat acting as a tenderizer by interfering with gluten production)
  • Add flavor to the loaf
  • Enhance browning of the crust due to the potential carmelization of the milk sugars

I wonder if it might be largely because of that final point. I’m guessing that bread machines operate at a lower temperature to avoid burning the surface, which is in direct contact with the dough. The bread might end up looking undesirably pale if you don’t add something to increase browning.

1 Like

In Europe it is a fair assumption, at least if we’re talking about traditional bread used as a companion with food. But even for many industrial breads (sandwich style) it’s also a fair assumption. Like when their makers marketer it as “cholesterol free”. Of course it is, cholesterol is an animal fat!

2 Likes