The COOL-ass bug thread

Haha, great pics.

The brown ones are somewhat common, grey too. I found lots in pingdong over the years. Have you found the orchid mantis here, or similar smaller aliens? They are pretty amazing, but even the brow. Ones are pretty cool!

What’s up with all the inverts you find and brown…?

I think I never saw an orchid mantis, not here not anywhere else.

The tiny praying mantis… now I remember that apart from being black and even more alien / ninja looking, it was about the size of a big ant. I remember I found it on google once, but now I can’t. It COULD be something like “flower mantis” or “orchid mantis”, but I’m not sure.

OK, maybe it was a baby orchid mantis? hard to tell… I guess I have some pictures in some folder… but it won’t be easy to find them.

http://worklad.co.uk/video-are-the-kung-fu-skills-of-a-newborn-orchid-mantis-a-match-for-a-jumping-spider/

Probably what you’re talking about are either ground mantids or ant mangoes.

Have both kinds in Taiwan. Ant mantids that I saw were usually black. Ground mantids I have seen are brown and seem to camouflage in a dirt/deadleaf type.setting. but I am very unfamiliar with mantid classification. But they are super cool.

The ant ones I quite enjoy. Both are excellent jumpers and every one I have seen is around 1cm, hard to spot.

Nah, I’d say it was what I posted before. Very, very similar to the one in the video, but black color. Couple of mms long? can’t tell for sure.

Going to explore again now. Yeah, fuck it all.

So just a baby then probably. Those green ones are brown when young. I may be wrong but may e males are as well. You can find mantid ootheca e everywhere it seems. We saw a cool mini one a few days ago in Wulai stuck to a fence post. If you have a garden, bring one back and let them hatch in your garden, great pest control!

Look forward to more pics tonight, Mr. Irwin. Agreed, the hell with sting rays.

Naaaah, fuck it. Maybe it doesn’t make sense (I’m already wearing the hiking clothes xD)

Yeah, I have lots of plants in my balcony, so I left the slim thing there to see if it can get fatter. Not sure if it will catch anything though… even if there are what seems to be aphididae or some shit. Maybe mega acari.

DSC_1948

DSC_1950

DSC_1956

DSC_1957

DSC_1967

DSC_1969

DSC_1974

3 Likes

Great pics man, love your ability!

here are a couple really crappy shots of the ant mimic mantis in Taiwan. im pretty sure i have some better ones, but for now this is all ive come across.

Mantid-ant

Mantid-ant1

PS. any idea what the greenish spider is? I just found one last week, but raining too much for pics. Looks really beautiful! 3rd from botom

1 Like

I’ve heard of spiders mimicking ants but mantis mimicking ants , even weirder !

ya they are truly strange! you just reminded me of the jumping spiders here that mimic ants. Seen them before? dont think i have pics of them but they are pretty cool as well.

taiwan is filled with all kinds of crazy things.

About the jumping spiders that mimic ants, I haven’t seen them personally but I know there are some in Wulai.
Jumping spiders are amongst my favourite creatures too.

Your last few photos are of several different huntsman spider, (Edit: NOT a badge huntsman), probably some kind of geolycosa (allies of wolf spider), and a fishing spider. Nice!

the second photo appears to be some kind of trapdoor spider, adult male, probably wandering in search of a mate. Maybe one of the Hexathelidae, but ID is hard when you can’t see the full top view of the thorax and also the eye arrangement.

Well, thanks. TBH I’m not really proud about my photos the last… many years? I was never a great photographer but I had my style… at least that’s what I always wanted to believe haha. Now taking pictures of bugs, that’s kinda refreshing, stimulating.

BTW, if you don’t quote or reply me I don’t receive any notification so I’m not aware of your message. That might be happening to you with other forumosans too.

I think there’s one or perhaps two that are or can be huntsman or perhaps a wolf spider. AFAIK they are different types of spiders, with different eyes distribution…

I think the one on the tree is something different to a wolf spider, but again I don’t really know much about this. It was smaller, and the abdomen had a different shape. Interesting how the coloration mimics the color and texture of the tree.

I think I took a picture of a M. gigas a while ago, but I’m not sure in which folder it could be now. It’s one of the few “dangerous” spiders here in Taiwan.

Not keen on Spiders, after having been bitten by one of these in the USA

Hualien today.

I am not really familiar with Taiwanese spiders, but these types are known as crab siders in other parts of the world.

IMG_0653 Spectacular colours.

4 Likes

Pretty for sure. Taiwan has a few Gasteracantha species. That seems the most colorful here. I usually find it in slightly cooler areas of taiwan. Not The plains of the south western smog belt. Nice find.

Nice!

Spiny backed orb weavers is another name, or check this site out for identification. My Chinese isn’t great, but I think it is some kind of blog.