The COOL-ass bug thread

Neat site. I personally have doubts on the yellow g. kuhli, but im certainly no expert. There are a couple more gasteracantha species in taiwan. The brown ones are quite common but im not sure on the name. When my camera gets sent back ill grab some pics.

I find it amazing how such a small spider can make such big webs. In northern pingdong i would regularly find g. kuhli (white) with webs of 6 plus meteres between trees. This competes with even the massive nephila in the mountains. Though not as thick and strong they can easily be as wide. Super impressed.

Just checked my hard drive quick and seems the brown gasteracantha i mentioned isnt gasteracantha its thelacantha brevispina. My bad. But there are i think 4 species of gasteracantha here. I often wonder if many of the genus species can be divided fuether as they are quite variable if we follow what people describe as a single species.

I was going to ask you what’s your profession, you seem to know a lot about these things.

On my usual walk today, I found the little known skull and cross bones spider. Well, that is what I am going to call him anyways.

fullsizeoutput_11fe

fullsizeoutput_11fb

6 Likes

Nice find. Like the name! Kuhli certainly does have that skeleton look to it doesnt it.

Masala. I started im my home country doing herpetology and more oriented towards zoology and captive husbandry with a strong passion for field work. I had thousands of animals when i decided to move here and gave them all up in pursuit of my curent career in botany, especially ethnobotany (hence my nickname on the forums). But i still maintain my passion for “herps”, bugs etc and make a living tying this into forestry and agriculture here. In general biology is my life :slight_smile: but i certainly dont know a whole lot. Thats why i love biology, a person cant really knpw a lot about it as its so complex and ever changing. Addicting.

3 Likes

Impressive , can you share some of your ethnobotany work some time, whatever that is ? :slight_smile:
There was another fellow down south in Pingdong who was also doing some mysterious botany but he stopped posting.

I remember he may have contracted some kind of swamp bug or something too…

Not to sure what to share. Do quite a lot of breeding. Especially fruit. Also interested in medicines such as in the TCM thread. I find virtually all of nature fascinating.

Man thats a shitty way to go, swamp bugs! Doesnt sound fun…

I have always been more interested in birds than bugs, but after posting on this thread I will now spend just as much time looking down as up.

I am going home in a week, and am sorry I didn’t pay more attention to the bugs of Taiwan.

The other day I run into a stick insect, the biggest one I’ve ever seen. Well, I have probably seen two or three top :D. Will post pictures later.

IMG_20190127_164020 IMG_20190127_164111

IMG_20190127_164024

Better pictures coming soon.

5 Likes

Is it the famous one named after Lanyu?
Hansioux posted a baby pic before…
Phasmotaenia lanyuhensis (筒胸竹節蟲, barrel chested walking sticks

Dunno, I found it in Taipei.

Wow…It’s massive

Huge! Wonder if its exotic?

4 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0YoD9BDpNE

2 Likes

His voice reminds me of this :joy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIUdyBG_DT0

2 Likes

That ants canada video is a riot. We have watched a few now. Soooo dramatic, but i think its a great way to connect more japanese anime directed people towards biology. I found it a riot :slight_smile:

1 Like

The flipping of hair before the video started. :rofl:

I see your nerd and match you with a real life one :rofl:

Go to 25:00 for bonus round. Pretty cool party trick.

1 Like

Looks like a young Vermin Supreme