The COOL-ass bug thread

You win man…hands down. In the beginning i was waiting for a influx of controlled rats to come in single file. Alas no such rat control…though still might worry about missing children on this one.

Someone left their jacket on the road

IMG_20190303_064050

6 Likes

3 Likes

Tyre Tick. On Maxxis 175/70R13. Must check my tyres more often.

5 Likes

there’s like, a MILLION species of weevils and bugs out there. Not even going to try to identify that one.

Maxxis radiata?

About 80-90 thousand of each according to Wickipedia, though that’s just the known ones.

Perhaps it evolved to exploit a niche on rubber trees (presumably not in Taiwan) and then made the jump to (my) tyres.

1 Like

Markings look to be bilaterally asymmetric, which seems odd, but maybe its just a trick of the light.

OK, i was intrigued. It appears to be a nymph of the Yellow-spotted stink bug - Erthesina fullo

that’s my best guess after some time searching. Nymphs are shaped quite different from the adults:

No English page…

2 Likes

1 Like

Hey, that really stinks!

1 Like

eggs and babies…

3 Likes

:clapper:

Clapper as in applause. I couldn’t even find an emoticon for that, much less the immature form of the 89,999th bug in the (Chinese) book.

So those pictures are all adults (which would explain the slight differences if my Tyre Tick is a nymph) or my Tyre Tick is a new subspecies Previously Unknown To Science?

your Tyre Tick is a nymph, just the light angle makes some of the sections brighter/darker than in the first picture I show (which is the nymph). The adult has more of a shield shape (hence the general term Shield Bugs for insects of this family).

Unpalatable? The name, coloration and nursery deployment might suggest that, otherwise they seem to be making themselves a bit of a target.

They will blast you with stink and the other birds will hate you

Even those wee babies?

I guess they have to get a head start.

Those guys are used as a biological pest control in agriculture. Officially sanctioned by the taiwanese government :slight_smile:

臭屁蟲, all the farmers know this one.

Here’s an old pic of a stick insect down in Maolin valley.

3 Likes

Lower picture is a fairly poor impersonation of a stick. Needs to have one of those “What’s my motivation in this scene” chats with The Director

3 Likes