The Donald J Trump Redemption Thread

It’s a small study for sure, but looks like the Don was right on this one as well.

Scientists found that, when ventilated patients with a severe version of COVID were given high doses of hydroxychloroquine with zinc, their survival rates could increase dramatically.

I wonder how many New Yorkers could have not been killed by Cuomo if people had taken the drug seriously and not written it off because Trump was winning too much and making them look bad before the covid hit.

4 Likes

Given the recent news out of Texas, I thought this was also a good redemptive win for Trump.

https://www.axios.com/trump-data-latino-support-49a0f0ed-b244-4b27-86b3-ee022e21f8c1.html

1 Like

Looking good

She never had to be redeemed.

2 Likes

Neither does Donald Trump. While I don’t agree with what they have done to Cheney, I think Trump shook things up and brought Jacksonian democracy back to the Repubs. Warts and all, he is a giant compared with Biden, the Dims, etc.

4 Likes

I’m not sure what you mean by that.

Trump did little to bridge the partisan gap, and how much of that is actually his fault and not his knee jerkiness toward the media and the Left has yet to be determined.

Here’s another one. The stupid bible thing was just a stupid bible thing…nothing more.

President Trump did not order U.S. Park Police to disperse protesters in and around Lafayette Park in Washington DC on June 1, 2020. That’s the finding by a recent Inspector General report.

After several days of violent and destructive rioting in late May 2020 following black suspect George Floyd’s arrest and death in police custody, law enforcement officials said they decided to de-escalate the situation by temporarily restricting access to the park near the White House. The plan included clearing the demonstrators and rioters from the park and installing a fence around the perimeter of the park that sits adjacent to the White House.

[T]he installation of the no-scale fence on the north side of Lafayette Park was a key tactic that served to greatly reduce the violent behavior of bad actors. The Park Police takes seriously its commitment to protect the public and our Nation’s parklands and cultural assets, and the decision to install the fencing was in furtherance of that commitment. Fortunately, that decision had the intended effect – violence dropped dramatically on June 2 and afterward in that area and First Amendment activities continued.

Gregory T. Monahan, Acting Chief of U.S. Park Police, July 28, 2020

The less-than-thirty-minute operation was widely criticized as excessive use of force by law enforcement and suppression of free speech.

It was widely reported that President Trump ordered law enforcement to clear the park so he could hold a photo opportunity by a church, appearing with a Bible in hand.

The IG found that was incorrect.

Some of the report’s conclusions were:

• Park Police had the authority and discretion to clear Lafayette Park under the circumstances.
  • Park Police cleared the park to allow the contractor to safely install the antiscale fencing in response to destruction of property and injury to officers occurring on May 30 and 31.
  • Park Police did not know about the President’s potential movement until mid- to late afternoon on June 1—hours after it had begun developing its operational plan and the fencing contractor had arrived in the park.
  • There were some deficiencies in communication and implementation of the dispersal plan that led to some confusion among cooperating law enforcement agencies.

I mean he has been a once in a generation type of politician in bringing realignment to the political parties. In essence, bringing the blue collars and grassroots back to the Repubs(thus the reference to Jacksonian democracy).

What remains to be seen is whether it is a long term winning formula.

Indeed.

Nah. Looking a little soft in the midsection and thick in the hips these days.

See much nicer in Taipei on the daily. At least I did before COVID destroyed the view.

?

1 Like

The weird thing though is they did not push back on this hard at the time, or is that just my impression perhaps influenced by the presentation in the media?

No, I remember a pushback. Specifically, I remember Shapiro citing people who said the story happened as the IG says it did.

2 Likes

That was way too clunky when you could have easily said saved from. :rofl:

Thanks, I’ll have to look back. There was a lot going on around then

I was going to look for a link to include with my comment but, like you said, it was busy.

Edit

This includes a link that no longer works and says the campaign was demanding retractions though simply because, technically, it wasn’t ‘tear gas’.

That’s not really a denial of the primary question.

NPR interview citing a guy who was quoting AG Barr.

Barr said he made the decision to expand the security perimeter around the White House before he knew that the president would visit St. John’s Church on the other side of the square. Now, the timing of when law enforcement actually moved to clear Lafayette Square, of course, was right before the president’s visit, and there are still questions about the force that officers used to get protesters out of the way to clear the way. Barr brushed aside any criticism of what took place. He said he thinks the president should be able to walk outside the White House and visit a church.

Neither are what you would call really strong demands for retraction.

1 Like

There was some but the storyline shifted to the general who regretted taking the walk or some such.

It was the brief era of non violent riots looting and burnings of buildings and cars.

2 Likes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/officials-challenge-trump-administration-claim-of-what-drove-aggressive-expulsion-of-lafayette-square-protesters/2020/06/14/f2177e1e-acd4-11ea-a9d9-a81c1a491c52_story.html

1 Like

That’s an interesting narrative. So In the end I guess relying on my own two eyes worked the best. Mobby assholes got a dose of reality.

Redemption indeed…

The U.S. Justice Department under former President Donald Trump subpoenaed Apple Inc (AAPL.O) for data from the accounts of at least two Democrats on the House of Representatives Intelligence Committee in an attempt to find out who was behind leaks of classified information, the New York Times reported on Thursday.

The records of at least a dozen people tied to the committee were seized in 2017 and early 2018, including those of Representative Adam Schiff, then the panel’s top Democrat and now its chairman, the Times said.

The paper cited unnamed committee officials and two other people briefed on the inquiry for the report.

Prosecutors under Jeff Sessions, the first attorney general in Trump’s Republican administration, were seeking to find the sources behind media reports about contacts between Trump associates and Russia, the Times said.

“Ultimately, the data and other evidence did not tie the committee to the leaks, and investigators debated whether they had hit a dead end and some even discussed closing the inquiry,” the paper said.

Apple turned over only metadata and account information, not photos, emails or other content, the Times said.

The Justice Department also seized Apple data from the accounts of committee aides and family members, the Times said. It did not name any other member of the House beside Schiff.

William Barr, attorney general in Trump’s latter years in office, revived the investigation, it said.

Schiff said in a statement to Reuters that the Justice Department had informed the committee last month that the investigation was closed.

“I believe more answers are needed, which is why I believe the Inspector General should investigate this and other cases that suggest the weaponization of law enforcement by a corrupt president,” Schiff said.

In a statement to Reuters, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a Democrat, called the news “harrowing” and said she supported Schiff’s call for an investigation.

The Times said the Justice Department “secured a gag order on Apple that expired this year, according to a person familiar with the inquiry, so lawmakers did not know they were being investigated until Apple informed them last month.”

The Justice Department and Apple did not immediately respond to Reuters requests for comment.