The Durham Investigation Thread

Nice piece, this reasonable and useful (and as can be seen from the headline obviously not sympathetic) compilation of the best evidence against Trump makes for an interesting comparison.

1 Like

It’s the other side maybe, but it goes off the rails, first two points seem fine, third.

Yet repeatedly during the 2016 campaign, Trump falsely stated that he had no business with Russia

Arguably he didn’t since as the article notes everything was preliminary discussions.

Point 4, and although they cite the Senate Intelligence report I don’t know where this is coming from.

Early in 2016, President Putin ordered an influence operation to “harm the Clinton Campaign

Point 5

The Trump campaign adviser George Papadopoulos

How the guy made it onto the radar is kind of interesting, never covered in the media, but his meets various people are meets with spooks, the CIA is not going to be held to account which brings us to point 6.

In June 2016, the Trump campaign received a request for a meeting from a Russian lawyer

Natalia Veselnitskaya, who was working with Fusion GPS who were tasked with framing Trump as being in cahoots with the Russians.

Not going to go down the list an further, but fuck me, if people can’t see that was a setup and you can criticize Jr all you like then what the hell.

1 Like

Yeah but we knew this. None of it stuck the wall of the Mueller Report. What the DNC and Clinton campaign seems to have done to direct the federal government to investigate and attack a presidential candidate and a sitting potus from the outside is not comparable imo.

I was super-bummed when the Atlantic put up their paywall, for quite a while they were my go-to source for long form journalism and essays. David Frum is usually quite good, IMO.

If you ever do and poke more holes in it I’m interested, you’ve always been on top of this stuff. I’ve been catching up

Sure, I’m just interested in it for the list of the best available evidence for the case. Even if you accept what’s there, it doesn’t add up to much IMO, certainly not to what was advertised for 4 years (and not given up on yet).

right click incognito worked here :slight_smile: I used to like them more, still read their stuff on occasion, but I’ve mostly given up on them lately.

This was an interesting piece

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/595235-john-durham-sent-a-message-to-the-attorney-general-and-the

Yurp:

Just the facts.

Durham’s filing triggered hyperbolic conjecture on the right and nervous silence on the left. Don’t be distracted by reactions driven by politics. Look at the actual words Durham used; they’re troubling enough on their own.

Those words are found in a section of the filed motion titled “Factual Background.” In it, Durham expands on information that led him to indict an attorney connected to the Hillary Clinton campaign, Michael Sussmann, for allegedly lying to the FBI.

According to Durham, Sussmann brought information to the FBI in September 2016 that he claimed proved a direct connection between candidate Trump and Russia to get the FBI to investigate. But Durham says Sussmann falsely told the FBI that he was not presenting the information on behalf of any client when, in fact, he was billing the Clinton campaign for his time.

Hmm

Thanks to a routine court filing, the nation now knows the Durham investigation is no joke. He has set a ladder against a formidable wall and is climbing it rung by rung, apparently gaining cooperators and locking in testimony before a federal grand jury. There will be more squirming to come in powerful circles, but John Durham must be allowed to continue his important work.

So what you’re saying is Biden will commit troops to Ukraine. :runaway:

1 Like

Both ops ran on Clinton’s money and Clinton’s people. Both ops used the same tradecraft. And the smoking gun of Brennan’s notes ties it all to Hillary herself.

Is it too early to have a xmas wish list?

1 Like

Misogynist!

Are— are you assuming my gender? :runaway: :noway:

Or worse— presuming!

1 Like

I made a leap. I’m sure there’s an academic paper somewhere that says women can also be misogynists, though.

Given that women can now have a penis, I’d hope so!

Darn tootin!

You win. I have such empathy for that kid that I wouldn’t mock him/her/they even to myself in private.

Setting the hook, I hope.

Sussmann’s lawyers have said Sussmann met with the FBI in September 2016 “to pass along information that raised national security concerns” and characterized this as simply “to provide a tip.” The lawyers contended that Sussmann was “charged with making a false statement about an entirely ancillary matter — about who his client may have been when he met with the FBI — which is a fact that even the Special Counsel’s own indictment fails to allege had any effect on the FBI’s decision to open an investigation.”

Durham countered that “the defendant made his false statement directly to the FBI General Counsel on a matter that was anything but ancillary: namely, the existence … of attorney-client relationships that would have shed critical light on the origins of the allegations at issue.”

“The defendant’s false statement to the FBI General Counsel was plainly material because it misled the General Counsel about, among other things, the critical fact that the defendant was disseminating highly explosive allegations about a then-Presidential candidate on behalf of two specific clients, one of which was the opposing Presidential campaign,” Durham wrote.

1 Like

In the filing, though, Durham also reveals that the government “intends to seek immunity at trial for an individual who was employed at the U.S. investigative firm,” Fusion GPS.

“But unlike Tech Executive 1, that individual is considered a ‘witness’ and not a ‘subject’ of the government’s investigation based on currently known facts,” Durham states

I saw the Fusion GPS garbage book on a shelf the other day. Actually thought about getting it to highlight the lies that are already known.

If the millennials and gen z kids who want no more lies and no more secrets get web3.0 with blockchain whatever, this should never happen again. It’s like dropping the a bomb on Japan. One or two in that case and done.

That said, if Fusion GPS goes down, I’m fine with dirt diggers being put out of work. No one is squeaky clean, but not everyone someone else doesn’t like is a Manchurian candidate or Putin’s stooge.

More:

Finally , I leave you with some questions to consider. Start asking why Sussmann and Joffe were so desperate to provide the FBI and CIA with dirt purportedly linking Trump and Russia. Sussmann himself provided false statements to federal officials, and it’s becoming more and more likely that someone potentially fabricated this evidence. Sussmann and Joffe risked charges - and thus jeopardized their lucrative careers - to tie Trump to Russia.

Considering the personal costs to both men, are we to believe that this was only about politics?

Or maybe this all leads back to the DNC hack

What ARE we to believe? That the DMC and Clinton campaign aren’t the champions of all that is pure and good? Say. It. Ain’t. So.

And, they put Slow Joe on an ice floe to take the heat and melt away. Then again, it’s the same party that thinks dismembering unborn babies with tiny vacuum cleaners is a human right.

1 Like

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2022/04/17/gop_rep_andy_biggs_i_doubt_the_dnc_or_clintons_want_their_dirty_laundry_aired_during_sussman_trial.html

1 Like

Gosh, all these liberal patriots are in such deep shit

Fusion GPS and Franklin Foer (then-working with Slate, and now with The Atlantic) e-mails - in which Fusion GPS alleges Millian is “clearly KGB.” Take a close look at Foer’s interactions with Fusion GPS. This is the press you don’t see: groveling to opposition researchers, begging for their assistance with “omissions and errors,” and pleading that his draft not be distributed to the competition. In other words, entirely consistent with the journalistic standards of Slate.

And here is Fusion GPS telling a WSJ reporter to call Adam Schiff or Diane Feinstein about Carter Page. This is solid evidence that Fusion GPS, by July 26, 2016, had briefed Schiff and Feinstein (and their staffers - including Daniel Jones, a person of interest in the Durham investigation) about their Trump/Russia “research.”

As Durham makes clear, no lawyers are copied in these e-mails and this doesn’t have anything to do with legal advice. And even if there were some type of privilege or work product, it was waived when Fusion GPS distributed the info to the press.

:popcorn:

3 Likes