The Durham Investigation Thread

Hillary’s tweet is out!

Oh, wait—

On Wednesday, Judge Christopher Cooper, an Obama appointee, denied Durham’s efforts to bring the tweet up at trial, saying “the court will exclude that as hearsay” and that “it’s likely duplicative of other evidence” related to demonstrating the attorney-client relationship.

NVMD

2 Likes

This thread seems relatively quiet

Kind of shocking, inn’t?

And I’m OK with that. I’m patient.

I have two Cuomo bro scalps. :axe: :face_with_head_bandage:

3 Likes

So far as I can tell, not much is actually happening at the moment. I dare say it’ll become interesting down the road.

It’s not a slam dunk.

5. The Case Will Not Be Over Anytime Soon

After this morning’s hearing, one final point is clear: This case will not be over soon unless Sussmann is acquitted.

Soon after he was indicted, Sussmann insisted on a speedy trial, and one is set to start with jury selection on May 16, 2022. If the jury acquits the former Clinton campaign attorney, the case will be over then.

But if a jury convicts Sussmann, he has already previewed several arguments for an appeal, including his claim that his purported lie is immaterial as a matter of law. If he loses, he will also likely challenge any refusal by the court to provide his desired jury instructions. Then he has the “due process” arguments he floated Thursday based on the lateness of the hour to pierce the attorney-client privilege of third parties, such as Joffe and the Clinton Campaign.

Given Bosworth’s near-flawless execution during Thursday’s argument, even when holding a losing argument, it seems clear that even if Sussmann is guilty, convicting him is not going to be an easy task, and obtaining a conviction that withstands appeal will be even more difficult.

2 Likes

Did I do good?

2 Likes

We back in the South’s Antebellum period?
The lady of the plantation at Met Gala.

1 Like

I hope he’s wearing a mask to protect him from the stench of Clinton corruption. :sweat_smile:

1 Like
2 Likes

More on that ruling:

The Clinton campaign’s filing last week included a declaration from Elias, who claimed, “Fusion’s role was to provide consulting services” that Perkins was giving related to defamation and libel laws.

Fusion co-founders Glenn Simpson and Peter Fritsch wrote in their 2019 book that they met with Elias in April 2016.

Fritsch told Elias, “We think you guys will really want to pay attention to the Russia angle.”

“This angle was all new to Elias, and he loved it,” Fusion said.

The judge quoted from an email by Fritsch to a reporter in October 2016 in which the Fusion co-founder said to “do the f***ing Alfa bank secret comms story."

The judge said: “How is that assisting Mr. Elias providing legal advice? … That is assisting a media strategy.”

The judge said he was “not convinced” that the Clinton campaign should just have a blanket assertion of privilege.

Trout contended the prosecution’s arguments suggested “Mr. Elias’s sworn statements are not to be believed, and I don’t think that’s appropriate.”

The judge again made a “distinction between” fact-checking and disseminating opposition research.

Maria is a pitbull with lockjaw. She won’t give this story up.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2022/05/15/kash_patel_john_durham_followed_the_money_and_connected_the_clinton_campaign_with_the_lawyers_with_fusion_gps_and_the_fbi.html

Showtime:

This whole episode is very sad to see.

At various points Tuesday, Sussmann’s defense hammered away on the point that if the ultimate source of the data or the identity of Baker’s client was valuable information, someone at the FBI could have asked him.

They didn’t ask him because everyone knew who he was and who he worked for. Everyone in the media knew and had already told him 5 months before the election the information he was peddling was garbage and had contacts who told them the Carter Page stuff was impossible, everyone in Washington DC knew.

That’s the sad thing about it, the FBI and Clinton campaign will pretend they were fooled (they weren’t) or they didn’t know or don’t recall and maybe Michael Sussmann will be found guilty of something or maybe he won’t, I don’t think it matters much one way or another.

So the FBI is the fall guy? The DNC and Clintons think it’s a better defense to throw the FBbloodyI under the bus? I am anticipating the full force of the US government. The gloves need to come off and it’s not even a question of if anymore. The question is and always was can they get away with it?

Durham is not going to touch the FBI, he can’t. So he will pretend they were duped but doing their jobs.

I think the answer to that is they have, that’s part of the reason this whole episode was so sad to see. Good write up here and explains why Durham can’t go after the intelligence agencies.

I’m wondering though if the fbi will bury them, the DNC and Clinton wrecking crew.

It’s all a circus. They are putting on a big show, it may end with Sussmann being found guilty of something, maybe one or two others get indicted, or maybe he walks free.

It’s a circus meant to distract from what really happened.

I have zero confidence that DNC or Clintons will ever come near any court of justice over this. Their squid arms are everywhere to prevent it.

Hope is the seed of anxiety. It is all I have. My faith in the system is rickety.

That said,

We did not agree with the conclusion … that this represented a secret communication channel,” the FBI agent testified.

"Whoever had written that paper had jumped to some conclusions that were not supported by the data,” he said, adding, “The methodology they chose was questionable to me.”

He said the claims of a secret channel “didn’t make sense to us,” in part because it was implausible that the Trump Organization would use its own name to connect to a Russian bank directly when it was allegedly supposed to be secret.

“There was not enough data there to make the conclusion that there was any communication, or the secret communication between the Trump Organization and Russia,” Hellman said.

Derp!