The effectiveness or otherwise of wearing masks

Yesterday evening going home there was this line-up at a pharmacy approx. 1-2 h wait for masks.

Reminds me of amusement park lines… “You must be this tall to buy mask”

1 Like

Many thanks for this useful resource.

My experience (Chiayi). Ability to follow a map and read Chinese at a basic level very helpful.

1. I really prefer the interface of this site to the other posted here (即時口罩地圖](https://mask.goodideas-studio.com/). The site tracks my location and gives more information on pharmacies, including opening hours. Color coding is helpful and data is based on pharmacy records.

2. Only negative issue is that the refresh is delayed (in some cases by an hour).

3a. This morning out of the ten pharmacies I visited that had shown at least 10 adult masks remaining: 1 was delaying sales until 13:00 afternoon, and 8 had sold out of adult masks, but still had kids masks.

3c. It seems sales are staggered between morning and afternoon to make purchases more convenient, and that clinic-linked pharmacies may vary hours. Wishful thinking?

3b. The location I finally had success at a clinic-adjacent pharmacy which was CLOSED but had a tiny sign that advised visitors to 掛號 at the clinic next door (I bought my two masks there for 10元). I doubted the site data on this location, as there were over 80 masks available at around 10:30. Upon seeing the sign to 掛號, a friendly local showed me the way. It was my last choice but paid off, so hang in there!

1. Related to the above point, some pharmacies showed remaining masks since they allowed local (mostly elderly) citizens to register before the pharmacy officially opened and then pick up their “reserved” supply later (unsure of the legality of this approach).

2. Most pharmacies advised lining up about an hour before opening hours to improve my chances.

3. There were several locations that posted that they were sold out, so I didn’t even bother going in. However, about 25% of locations had no signs up.

4. I visually confirmed that people were buying for one additional person (with or without that person present, just using their NHI card).

5. It did not appear that my card was swiped (impossible to be sure), so reports of people hoarding and gaming the system may be true.

6. At almost all locations (around 10-11 am), there was one or two other people in search of masks. Most turned around upon seeing the “sold out” signs.

7. Asking about how “one per week was calculated” revealed little information (once per seven days or ??), although one pharmacist said I could buy again on or after Sunday (today being Friday) – sorry, no better information available.

Wish you happy hunting. Although, I forsee that, unless you’re early or lucky, it will be a frustrating and hit or miss process. The site, however, made pharmacy hunting incredibly more convenient.

3 Likes

This woman is currently the local interwebs most hated person.

In other news, the unscrupulous kind who never miss a chance have spread the rumor that there is going to be a shortage of toilet paper, which somehow they link to the mask craze, never mind masks are fabric and plastic, while toilet paper…well we hope it does not have much plastic.

7 Likes

I’d punch her lights out, ignorant peasant.

1 Like

Wrapped in TP, no mask needed! Total protection!

toilet-paper-mask

2 Likes

The toilet paper thing is to try and conserve the current masks. They are putting layers of paper inside.
I only have some kids masks someone gave me. I cannot see me lining up for an hour to try and get a bigger mask.
Tissues it is. The shelves were bare when I went to a supermarket an hour ago.

Carrefour online as well as Costco online are sold out of toilet paper and hand sanitizer.

Water and soap folks. Water and soap

3 Likes

Try 蝦皮, seems sellers still have cartons for sale without markup.

Holy crap! Went out to get some coffee. Thought I would pass by two pharmacies on the way. The lines are still there. When will this madness end?

1 Like

My wife went out last week to get some kids masks. While waiting they witnesses a fight between two women in line. With that and long lines they are not going anymore.

2 Likes

Is there a list of the stores that sell them?
Where can you find the times they go on sale? One person told me 12, another 1:30 and another 2:30!!!
Someone visiting here would have no clue what the hell is going on.

So… yesterday night, we went to the Hola in Xindian and they had n95 masks next to the registers. Not a lot. But more than five.

1 Like

Each pharmacy makes its own schedule. They usually set up a morning, afternoon and even evening sessions, but that depends on availability. You have to check each one individually. Yep.

That is good because for example we have 3 in our block. One starts selling at 9, other at 10, other at 11. Gives people a chance.

My boss was passing by COSMED main station and they had some non surgical masks on sale.

On FB there are vendors offering fabric masks.

I am planning to travel to any TTL distillery that offers alcohol by litter. Yilan or Changhua I guess.

2 Likes

The person who came up with that idea and posted it online is getting a heavy fine for starting the panic. Yep, fully identified. A popular internet celebrity. She claims her intentions were good.

A lot better than the 29 year old mama’s boy still studying at 29 who instead of hitting the books tells people to take cyanide…because, you know, he’s smarter.

The best thing I found so far was this:

2 Likes

A friend of mine here on a visa-exempt went to a Pharmacy today and asked if he was able to buy a mask. The person there spoke good English and showed him the government sheet with data on how to purchase and said he was not eligible to buy a mask with a passport.

If tourists and visitors arrive and to be able to use public transport you’re required to wear a mask at all times (like when we had SARS), I guess foreigners will be screwed.

Watch out! Next up is pao mien! Instant noodles!

2 Likes