The effectiveness or otherwise of wearing masks

“Say you have a mask that cuts in half the chance a contagious person will infect a nearby susceptible person. In other words this mask is 50% effective” - Why Masks Work BETTER Than You’d Think

Did you understand the video?

They are literally saying disease transmission all through the video.

Sorry. I don’t feel comfortable sharing my academic qualifications on a public forum.

Why?

I’m a private person by nature. I don’t see any benefit in making things public that are better kept private.

Well, that affects your credibility then.

1 Like

It preserves my anonymity and privacy, which I value more than your accolade.

That may be a valid point, I concede - you might be correct. I didn’t watch the full video again today, but just went from the images like that at 1:49, which seem to imply that the thing being modeled is particle flow/filtration for unidirectional transfer from one person to another in one-dimensional space. My bad.

The implication of that for the model is that it doesn’t take account of virus particles going anywhere else except the recipient. Otherwise, I assume they’d have to consider things like room volume and probability of the recipient becoming infected after exposure, so I guess they lumped everything into one parameter for simplicity.

1 Like

Trust me, nobody’s going to know (or care) who you are if you tell us you have a degree in like-farming horticulture.

1 Like

My question was, does a 50% exposure to virus particles reduce the chance of transmission at all? What if you only receive 10% of the particles … and so on. An epidemiologist may understand the transmission mechanisms far better than any mathematician could. This is why I find the video overly simplistic with too many unfounded assumptions.

I wish my life was that simple.

Exactly!

You can buy them on Shopee 蝦皮.

Caveat emptor.

1. Bought N95 masks in March/April, about 80~90元 each.
  2. Fancied some color in my life. Filtered “made in Taiwan” and found some claiming to be surgical grade. Purple!! :smiley:. 90元 for 50. Arrived yesterday. Turns out they are both made and shipped from China. Dust masks. 中看不中用 ( or is it 種看不重用?)

Purple is fancy color, local made ones are 600 ntd more or less.

Those dust ones are the ones sold for hair and nails salon procedures, hence legal…for that line of work.

Cloth Masks Are Useless Against COVID-19

Lisa Brosseau, ScD, is a nationally recognized expert on infectious diseases. Brousseau taught for many years at the University of Illinois at Chicago. She may be retired from the university, but she’s not retired from teaching. She recently cowrote an opinion piece that drew a lot of notice: In it Brousseau argues that cloth masks offer no protection from COVID-19. As one might imagine, it drew a lot of attention and caused a fair amount of controversy. She recently sat down with Infection Control Today® to talk about her strong feelings about cloth masks and that data she used to reach her conclusions.

groundhog day

1 Like

Agree. What we see right now is what I feared when this thread title was changed to include “(in) effectiveness”.

“Where to buy masks” and “whether or not to accept the overwhelming evidence that wearing masks has benefits” seem so different issues that I feel both deserve their own threads. We could either

1. ask the mods to split this topic, or

2. simply start a new thread for the “effectiveness discussion”

To save the mods some work, how about #2? If no big concerns, let’s just do it? Or would the @mods prefer #1? Or nothing, and keep this topic Mixed?

On-topic: several Nangang pharmacies have huge displays of masks in all possible colours and patterns. Even different shades of purple. The printing says surgical, but I didn’t check where they were made. Costing around 350-450 depending on color and brand.

1 Like

That’s why numbers are hitting record highs in many countries now?

:thinking:

Make a claim…Post your data to back it up !

1 Like

Yes, of course it does. In a given situation you are getting half the particles floating around.
It’s gets more complicated in the case of one person wearing a mask , the other not, but it will probably increase markedly the time needed to transmit an infection to another person nearby.

Lisa Brosseau, ScD claims

The pandemic is not over and will not likely be over for some time.

But didn’t you see the part above where One America News Network has stated that it’s over? So much conflicting information, it’s hard to know what to believe…

1 Like

I didn’t pay attention to the date. The article was on Apr. 1.

2 Likes