The effectiveness or otherwise of wearing masks

The videos are fact based and mostly produced by medical professionals. Sorry they cause you mental discomfort. Some cognitive dissonance is to be expected. If you really have nothing to debate and nothing you can add to the conversation I suggest you ignore me, then you won’t see my posts.

Cheers,

Welcome

The videos were mostly concerning Europe and are using WHO data.

The graph you presented clearly shows there’s a mild pandemic in Americas. One video I posted addresses this, and confirms the graph you posted. On the other hand Europe’s pandemic is clearly over. Weekly death rates are now comparable or lower than its annual flu seasons.

Yeah, except that there is usually no flu in summer and there have been lots of measures applied which are not taken in a normal flu season. Heck, you see people wearing masks in grocery stores, bars and restaurants being closed all over Europe - so maybe that’s the reason why only “few” deaths have occured in most European countries yet?!?

Now that cases are exploding in Europe again, it’s only a matter of time until deaths start increasing again. The pandemic isn’t over until the number of cases actually starts decreasing too.

600,000 deaths, no end in sight and you call it a “mild” pandemic? Sure, a “strong” pandemic might cause millions or even billions of deaths world wide. But that can’t be the point of it, right? Like what kind of argument is that: “Oh, we wont even have like half a billion people dying. So why bother calling it a pandemic…”

Up to 650 000 people die of respiratory diseases linked to seasonal flu each year.

I see your point is that not enough people are dying of COVID. So it’s a “boring” pandemic, I guess :man_shrugging:
Maybe if all the countries stop doing all these measures against the virus spread, we still have chance to make COVID less “boring”… That’s your goal?!?

By the way, you’re comparing excess mortality (which is used when discussing flu deaths) to PCR confirmed COVID-deaths. Excess mortality in some countries has been much higher than confirmed cases during the last couple of months. And there are still more than two months left in this year…

1 Like

Screengrab from the whackjob ‘Netherlands’ video you posted. 15 seconds in…

Not boring. Just over-hyped and not too much worse than a bad flu year.

Within the context of her speech, I suspect she is comparing current death rates to that of the seasonal flu. Which are about the same in the Netherlands.

She said it’s ’ a normal flu virus’.
That’s the context.

She’s a quack.

2 Likes

Qualified and licensed medical professional working in Belgium.

Yeah, normal flu usually has a case fatality rate of 0.05% to 0.1%. COVID is estimated to be between 0.3% and 0.8% (if medical systems don’t break down - which they have during some times in some areas!!).

So if the world manages to “survive” COVID with just the number of deaths that usually come with a normal flu season, that’s because all the measures takes were effective. And not because the virus was so harmless or the pandemic magically ended without no apparent reason as in some sort of Disney movie…

1 Like

Many expert have been emphasizing that we are dealing with something no more dangerous than the flu. For example, approximately 40,000 scientists, doctors and more than half a million concerned citizens have now signed The Great Barrington Declaration. The declaration explains that “Covid-19 is less dangerous than many other harms, including influenza.”

It seems strange that Harvard, Oxford and Stanford educated epidemiologists would sign this.

Dr. Martin Kulldorff , professor of medicine at Harvard University, a biostatistician, and epidemiologist with expertise in detecting and monitoring infectious disease outbreaks and vaccine safety evaluations.

Dr. Sunetra Gupta , professor at Oxford University, an epidemiologist with expertise in immunology, vaccine development, and mathematical modeling of infectious disease

Dr. Jay Bhattacharya , professor at Stanford University Medical School, a physician, epidemiologist, health economist, and public health policy expert focusing on infectious diseases and vulnerable populations.

Or should we trust @Brianjones assessment of “Bullshit”?

And even more experts are warning about that kind of blatant misinformation.

Again - the flu infects many more people each year than COVID has until now. If COVID would infect the same amount of people (or even more) than the flu, all evidence suggest that a lot more people would die than from the flu.

Who am I or you to argue with Harvard, Oxford and Stanford educated epidemiologists who have signed the The Great Barrington Declaration.

See my reply to @Brianjones above.

The declaration was sponsored by the American Institute for Economic Research, a libertarian, free-market think tank headquartered in western Massachusetts. The Institute is in a network of organizations funded by Charles Koch – a right-wing billionaire known for promoting climate change denial and opposing regulations on business.

Who I am to argue with the Koch brothers…

1 Like

So everything comes back to the Left vs Right political spectrum?

Are you saying the Koch brothers bribed Harvard, Oxford and Stanford educated epidemiologists?

Hold it a second I thought she was from the Netherlands? Licensed in what…Quackery ?
She doesn’t even know that coronavirus and influenza virus are two different things. :rofl:

Let’s post it again :grin:

1 Like

Yes. From the Netherlands, working in Belgium. Is that unusual?

I would have thought this concept isn’t too foreign for a foreigner living in Taiwan.

The video claims she is representing the Netherlands . Bullshit quacks some group hired to spout shite.

Do all the other professionals who’ve signed “spout shite” too?