The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

Yes, thank you, i have updated the post.

Almost 3 weeks for the professional review.

I didn’t submit my passport as I am a HK resident.

1 Like

Ah, maybe that also gives you preferred treatment during the review then. Not sure - but would explain why it went so fast for you.

Just picked up my gold card today! It took almost exactly one month from the date of application. I applied under the Education category from within Taiwan.

7/6: Submitted Application
7/29: Passport submission notice
7/30: Submitted my passport to BOCA.
8/6: Received email saying my application was officially approved.
8/7: Received email saying my card was ready. Picked up my passport from BOCA and then headed over to the NIA to pick up my Gold Card!

Some notes for others applying under Education: I only had to upload a picture of my PhD diploma, and no in-person verification was required; however, I did upload a screenshot from my school’s website showing that I had completed the degree requirements. I also uploaded a copy of my C.V. with a list of my publications and a link to my dissertation.

I did not realize that BOCA actually keeps your passport, so be prepared for that. was a HUGE help to me for this, and I honestly wouldn’t have applied otherwise because I thought I didn’t qualify. The “Do I Qualify” wizard was great!


But this is only if you are earning the required 160k. If salary isn’t that high, they ask for proof of 8 years of experience in the field, which is a bit problematic to get proof of… I’m still struggling to be sure of what kind of document they would expect to be honest.

Probably a really basic question, but I’ve done a fair amount of reading and haven’t seen a clear answer yet:

Does anyone have experience working for a US based corporation remotely with this gold card? Is it even permitted? Generally, what’s the approach to taxes?

If there’s a good thread on this, I’d appreciate a link - and thanks for any help!

I am trying to find out a similar thing: Working remotely for a self-owned foreign company without an office in Taiwan - legal?
Not sure if it’s really legal - the „right“ way would probably be starting a branch office in Taiwan. Or using a „PEO“ (which charges about 15% of your salary), but provides you with a local employer.

On a related note, I just received my passport submission note today :banana:
Submitted my additional documents on 07/20 - so exactly three weeks of professional review this time. Hope the others still waiting will also receive a response soon!


It’s permitted, but because there is no double taxation agreement between Taiwan and the US, you would be liable for taxes in both countries.

Does having the Gold Card allow one to hire a domestic helper (legally)? I asked an agent and she said “no,” but I think it’s because they don’t know what a gold card is. Any foreigners have experience hiring a domestic helper?

Do you have any information on how this double-taxation works? I work remotely as an independent contractor for a US company. I recently applied for a gold card, and it’s now in the second stage of review. So if it’s approved, I’ll be required to pay taxes on my 1099-MISC in Taiwan?

How would that work? I should bring my tax form to the Taiwan tax office every year? When I file my US taxes, I’m able to claim a massive amount of deductions. Can I also claim those deductions in Taiwan? When will I be asked to show that I paid taxes in Taiwan for my USA income? I certainly don’t want to have to pay taxes twice, and may have to cancel my application if there’s no way around that.

I did read this here:

If the foreign professional obtains overseas income set forth in the provisions of Subparagraph 1, Paragraph 1, Article 12 of the Income Basic Tax Act in such tax year, such income shall be excluded from the basic income.

You go to the tax office every year and tell them how much you were paid. You might need to
be able to back it up in some way.

There are some deductions here too, but probably substantially less than what you get to deduct in the US.

You’ll probably be asked to prove payment of local taxes when you go to renew the Gold Card or if the tax authorities have a reason to believe that you are underreporting.

Thank you for the reply. I also read this:

1. The individuals who have the obligation of filing an individual income basic tax return

(1) An individual shall file an individual income basic tax return in accordance with the Income Basic Tax Act unless his/her circumstances apply to any one or more of the conditions listed below:

  1. Non-resident of the R.O.C. (staying less than 183 days within a taxable year in the R.O.C.).
  2. An individual who does not apply for any investment tax credits in accordance with the laws and does not have any amount within the scope of the provisions of any of the subparagraphs of Paragraph 1 of Article 12 of the Income Basic Tax Act in his/her annual income tax return or current income tax return.
    3. An individual whose basic income as calculated in accordance with Paragraph 1 of Article 12 of the Income Basic Tax Act is less than NT$6,700,000.

My income is less than NT$6,700,000. Does this mean I don’t need to file?

Couple questions for clarity:

  1. Are you currently an overseas tax resident or spending more than 330 days outside the US?
  2. On the gold card, will you plan to live in Taiwan for more than half the year?

Yes, I spend more than 330 days outside of the US.

And yes, I will live in Taiwan for more than half the year.


Ok assuming you have already been outside of the US for 330 days in a year prior to this one, then you have already filed using FEIE, right? So you can continue to use that for your time in Taiwan.

And yes, you will have to file in Taiwan. Not sure why the wording you quoted seems to suggest otherwise. But you should not be taxed twice despite their not being an official tax treaty. In most cases you can obtain Foreign Tax Credits to offset whatever tax you’ve paid in your primary country, and these can actually accrue into future years as well.

So while technically not being taxed twice, could your taxes go up from what you are currently paying? Quite possibly. Right now you may be avoiding tax by either not having a tax home or by living in a lower or no tax jurisdiction. So yeah, when you start paying tax to Taiwan you may end up paying more than you currently are.

Thank you.

I think I’ll need to go to the tax office in Taiwan to clarify everything.

I don’t qualify for FEIE because I’m an independent contractor for a US company.

I think you’re wrong here, you still have to pay self employment taxes (15.3%), but not federal and probably not even state income taxes.

1 Like

I’ll check on that. My company sends me a 1099-MISC every year and I file through turbotax. I’ve called the IRS several times through the years, and they’ve confirmed I’ve been doing everything correctly.

So based on the replies since this my understanding is:

  • Yes, one could work remotely for a US based corporation
  • They might be liable for taxes in both countries
  • BUT if one spent more than half the year in Taiwan, they could use the FEIE

Does that all track?

I’m pretty certain that you are eligible for FEIE. The IRS page does not mention any differentiation with 1099s** and a brief perusal of other resources on the web clearly indicates that self-employed individuals can use FEIE, but must still pay self-employment taxes on the FEIE-portion income. (there are ways to reduce or even eliminate this, but for your circumstances I think you should just pay it)

I know lots of people who do this, although I don’t have personal experience. Everything I’ve written is from my own brief discussions with our CPA in preparation for my own move to Taiwan.

Bottom line: You will not be double taxed. You’re gonna pay your income tax to Taiwan. Then use the FEIE. Anything you make over the FEIE you can apply to FTC. (Not to get into the weeds too much but you can even apply the housing exclusion as well).

**take a look for yourself and decide whether your work falls under “earned income” or not

Edit: Oh yeah and I would definitely advise working with a professional. At the very least hire someone to briefly go over and answer all your questions even if you choose to file on your own.

1 Like

That’s my understanding. Once you spend more than half the year in Taiwan, you become a tax resident of Taiwan, and that is more or less the barometer for bona fide residence to apply FEIE. It’s a gray area because the IRS does not say EXACTLY what is necessary for bona fide residence, but it seems anecdotally that if you do that it’s enough. If you want to be 100% safe, then you need to meet the physical presence test which pretty much means being outside the US for 330 days in the calendar year. (There’s a few small exceptions you must be aware of if you’re cutting it close)

1 Like