The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

I work in IT for a finance related company, and was told to apply under finance and not Science and Technology. Weird, but it is what it is, and yes they gave me a gold card.

1 Like

Oh, who told you to apply under finance? Like does it help to email them directly?

Can’t remember the name of the department. Basically I initially applied under Science and Tech, and a couple of weeks later, I received an email telling me to adjust my application i.e. “We think you should apply under the Finance category 
”. I then went to the Gold Card website and did what they suggested, and that’s it. By the way, you don’t have to pay a second time if your application is still being processed and they tell you to change the Category.

1 Like

Wow the fact you got an email to tell you to change category is pretty positive. Did anyone else here got rejected?

My mom applied for the gold card and was asked for some proof of loss of Chinese (PRC) nationality since she used to be a PRC citizen. My dad also used to be a PRC citizen but was never asked for any proof of loss of nationality when he applied for the gold card. Not sure why they’re asking my mom

Anyways, they want one of these documents:

• Original certification of non-establishment of Mainland household registration verified by the Straits Exchange Foundation.
  • Original notarial certification of cancellation of Mainland household registration verified by the Straits Exchange Foundation.
  • Documentary proof sufficient to prove renunciation of ID as a People of the Mainland Area, verified by an ROC (Taiwan)embassy or overseas mission.

We have no idea about how to get any of these documents. Does anyone know where we should start?

Can we just tell them that under Chinese law, acquisition of another nationality automatically revokes your Chinese nationality?

Any advice?

Edit:

We want to try to get the third type document, since it can be done outside of Taiwan at an embassy / TECO office. It seems like the Straits Exchange Foundation only operates in Taiwan, so the first two options are not possible for us (currently outside of Taiwan).

2 Likes

Oh yes, are letters of recommendation necessary? I just watched a youtube video on how this youtuber got his gold card. Just wondering if income supporting docs + CV + cover letter is enough? Do you guys need to write about how you can contribute etc?

I haven’t heard of “letters of recommendation” yet in relation to the GC.

Which area will you apply for? Maybe in some areas it might help

Planning to apply through finance. However I am unable to get letters of recommendation in my field as I am self employed. Did anyone else submit letters of recommendation as well?

I am self employeed as well and put in 2 reference letters from my customers. Worked for me.

1 Like

Actually, I’ve heard of one or two people doing that (one was a game/software developer applying under Science and Technology, IIRC).

I think I also submitted a couple of recommendation letters from former academic supervisors with my initial application under Science and Technology, and went to the effort of getting an additional one from a former freelance client. Didn’t end up needing them in the end though, because I ultimately got it through Education.

Probably doesn’t hurt anyway, even if the staff don’t end up looking at them.

1 Like

Hey guys, just wanted to ask if anyone here lately applied for GC (under the salary condition in Economy category), its been 60 days since I applied today, and still nothing, my status changed to ,Consulting with Ministry of Economic Affairs, 1 week ago. Not exactly sure what goes on behind the scenes. I know the pandemic makes the whole process longer but still would like to know how long it took for someone else who applied round april
Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like

My presumption is that the first stage was spent validating whether you belonged in the Economy category. Now that they’ve sent you to review with that ministry then hopefully your result will be returned in short order. Of course, it is possible they’ll reply telling you to switch to a different category :astonished:

1 Like

I wonder if they were trying to fudge the data a bit. Like not enough people applied under Finance category.

That definitely crossed my mind.

Quite understandably, Taiwan is not really an ideal destination for finance professionals. I am myself, I applied under the fintech option, i’m quite lonely here. Even thr FSC couldn’t believe it, they called my fiancĂ©e twice to check if it was true I applied😂

2 Likes

You mean they would call references? Wait, is it necessary to provide references as well?

I put her as a contact, not a reference. I had references from my employer, they didn’t call them. No clue why they actually called her, I guess they were surprised.

1 Like

With the current COVID situation, how long have they been taking to reply? Did anyone receive it within 30 to 60 days of application?

1 Like

What does “reply” refer to?

I think several people posted their timelines further up in this thread.

For me it was super fast (less than a month), but then I’m in Taiwan and was applying for the 2nd GC already - so probably the easiest case. Also, no request for additional documents or clarification.

5/25 Applied
6/17 Completed

Today the status changed back to ,Review by the Workforce Development Agency, after being on ,Consulting with Ministry of Economic Affairs, for bout 10 days. Good sign ? or still highly likely to get bad news ?