The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

You should seriously give them these answers. It would be glorious.

1 Like

Now, Fuzzy_Barbecue, show us on the doll where the experience touched you.



Great to see many of you at the event today.

It’s started to filter into the news:

Key points for the friends in the thread:

  • 122 cards issued (217 applicants) - 40 sci/tech, 39 economy, 22 culture/art, 13 education, 8 finance
    • by my math that also means 0 sport, 0 law, 0 architecture - expected, given the more stringent requirements
  • we’re going to become a bilingual country; responsibility for this has been recently handed from the Ministry of Education to the National Development Council
  • broad range of countries represented: Lithuania, Australia, Ireland, USA, UK, Italy, Belgium, Hong Kong, Singapore (my memory is poor, list yours …)
  • some difficulty is expected in the legislature to pass the followup legislation and our help is needed

@Fuzzy_BBQ: I thought the Gold Card allowed you to have automatic NHI access, but from what you are saying here it is still tied to an employer. So if you come to Taiwan and are searching for work, you will NOT have insurance until an employer sponsors you? You did say you could “pay for NHI yourself as self-employed”. What does that entail, and do you know the monthly cost per person? I have read here before that the cost share for employees is about $27USD a month, but I assume it is more if you are “self employed”? Thanks!

I stuck around for another hour at the end and was speaking to some of the government folks (though I suspect the movers and shakers had followed the minister out of the room quickly).

One thing I did bring up repeatedly was how difficult it is to have to have a Taiwanese guarantor for everything. If we’ve been vetted so thoroughly and proven to be “outstanding”, surely we can be trusted to have a cell phone contract without a guarantor?


I think he maybe has that option because he was already in NHI by his previous employment. He can change his status.

you can check here. Contribution of employees is 30%, but if you are self-employed, it is 100%.

How Premiums Are Calculated

I found “Self-employed Independent professionals and technical specialists” in Category 1 are people with official certificates. Self employed individuals may be “other individual” in Category 6, unless they are certified specialists (Category 1) or belong to some unions(Category 2).

@tando : thanks for the info. I looked at the link and figured out how to calculate the cost as Self Employed. The only problem is how would I, and NHI, calculate my “income” if I’m not employed? The cost formula is directly based on how much one makes per month in income. In my case, I would initially have zero income from Taiwan (all offshore accounts). I may do some initial investments that pay say 25k NT/month in dividends to my Taiwan bank account, so I could use that I guess as my income basis? But those payments would take a couple months to get rolling, during which time I’d have no basis for calculating my NHI cost.

This is how to enroll as a self employed person, in Chinese. If I find English info, I’d add it later.


I found “Self-employed Independent professionals and technical specialists” in Category 1 are people with official certificates. Self employed individuals may be “other individual” in Category 6, unless they are certified specialists (Category 1) or belong to some unions(Category 2).

What was the response that you got? Anything remotely satisfactory?

One can only hope…

We’ll look into it.

10 years from now on forumosa… “the bank demanded a guarantor” and “I can’t get a phone contract without deposit”

Pan to govt reps scratching head as to why no professional foreigners are coming.

yes the phone contract was certainly a problem…

but when it comes to banks, to be honest I’ve never really had an issue…

I don’t want to beat a dead horse as this subject has been done to death but here is a short list of banks that won’t look at you without a cosigner

Land bank, Huanan, Fubon, Taishin, Sunny Bank, Hwatai, HSBC, Yuanta, Cooperative, Changhua, Shanghai, ANZ, Taiwan business bank, Shinkong, Taichung bank, Jih Sun, Entie… off the top of my head. There are others that are more friendly but walk into the list above and ask for a credit card and they will hand you a guarantor form.
Notice that there is a lot of govt banks in that list. Kinda ironic

1 Like

Taichung bank did give me an account and a MasterCard without co- signatory.

Me too.
They changed the rules this year.
Don’t ever cancel it or you cant go back

  1. 凡申請正卡者,須年滿20歲
    A principal card applicant must be at least 20 years of age.
  2. 外籍人士(未取得本國身分證者)應檢附護照及有效居留證或內政部核發之入出境許可證(有效期限至少6個月以上)
    A foreigner (who has not obtained his or her identity card) should be accompanied by a passport and a valid residence permit or an entry and exit permit issued by the Ministry of the Interior (valid for at least 6 months).
  3. 提供足額定期存單或活期存款設定質權予本行,並依所附總額核發信用卡額度
    Provide full time deposit or demand deposits to the Bank and the credit card amount is issued in accordance with the attached total amount.
  4. 如無定期存單或活期存款者,提供中華民國籍保證人並檢附保證人申請書及身分證影本
    If there is no time deposit or demand deposits,must provide Taiwan nationality guarantor, accompanied by the guarantor application form and identity card photocopying.

Thanks, very interesting.

But is this showing the cost of NHI registration if I wish to pay for it all myself (before the 6 month waiting period ends)? Or is it showing what I will be required to pay when enrolling after having been here 6 months?

Link to photos from the Reception at NDC

Write up on the Reception at NDC

1 Like


Just came back from the NHI branch around Taipei Main Station.

If you do not have employer, you will have to wait 6 months continuously stays in Taiwan. They printed me a paper showing exactly my last departure. If I leave Taiwan, the date is automatically reset. The price will be 750NTD/month.
With an employer, the 6 months wait is waived.

No exception for Gold card holder :slight_smile:


Quickly looked up the Foreign Talent Act. Article 14 does use the word ‘hired’ … at least in the English:

Where a foreign professional is
hired to conduct professional work,
said person’s spouse and minor
children, and children over twenty
years old who are unable to live
independently due to physical or
mental disability, having obtained
documentary proof of residence,
shall participate in National Health
Insurance as insured persons,
without being subject to the
requirement of a full six months of
residence in the State prescribed in
Article 9 Subparagraph 1 of the
National Health Insurance Act.

This matches the marketing material:

Enabling the spouses and children of employed foreign professionals to be included in National Health Insurance coverage without a 6-month wait

I couldn’t find any other related changes to the law for Gold Card holders.

1 Like

Hey all. Please help if you can…I recently tried to apply for the Employment Gold Card.
I applied under the Technology, $160k per month requirement, and I certainly qualify for the salary part, but I am having some challenges with the Ministry of Science and Tech accepting my documents and am curious about your experience.
They said this to me: “惟經勞動部107年10月2日會商科技部,依該部107年10月8日科部科字第1070069790號函意見,因申請人所送非屬個人專業領域審認文件,該部歉難作申請人之專業領域判斷,仍請申請人補正清晰可辨識,且為任職於科技領域相關產業(如資格條件第2條或第3條所列領域之企業的製造或研發實績與個人參與貢獻等)獲國內外公私立大專院校或國內外學術研究機構之證明文件,以利科技部及勞動部續以審查。”

I already sent them my contract showing I make more than $160k per month, and also some payroll emails confirming this, but it seems they want more documents? What documents do you think they want, and did you have to send them docs?

I actually don’t have a formal qualification in tech, but I’m a Webmaster for a US app startup which lets me work remotely, and I used to own my own web design and development company in Australia. I feel really stressed about this as my ARC is about to expire soon :frowning:

1 Like