The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

As it stands the amendments r only relative to the senior/high-level foreign professionals 外國高級專業人才, which basically r Plum Blossom Card holder, ppl recognised as such by the central agency overseeing their industry, ppl recognised as such by MOI panel review under recommendation of the central agency overseeing their industry.

GC is not included.

This is the response I received from the Gold Card office:

According to Article 9 of the Nationality Act, “High-Level Foreign Professionals” are defined as “those who are in the technological, economic, educational, cultural, art, sports, or other domains which have been recommended by the central competent authority, whose specialties are deemed to serve the interests of the ROC, and who have been approved through a joint review organized by the Ministry of the Interior and conducted by relevant agencies and impartial individuals.” Unfortunately, Gold Card holders may not meet these requirements. To learn more about the details, please refer to this link: Standards for Defining High-Level Professionals for Naturalization - Article Content - Laws & Regulations Database of The Republic of China (Taiwan).

3 Likes

They answered my mail.

If you stays in Taiwan not more than 90 days in 2023, and the Taiwan source income are withheld with correct tax rate(e.g. 18% for salary). You do not need to file income tax return for 2023.

1 Like

As long as you have a Taiwan employer. Otherwise you need to live here for 6 months first.

This is the process for high-level professional naturalization:

6 Likes

It’s not that you can, you are legally required to resume coverage the day you re-enter Taiwan if you have already met the six month rule to be covered when unemployed, or if you are still employed in Taiwan (assuming there has been no break in the continuity of your ARC/APRC).

If you are present in Taiwan and qualify for NHI, you must participate in NHI. The only optionality is for when you are physically outside of the country for more than six months and apply to suspend coverage, but that suspension is only for as long as you are outside of the country.

2 Likes

I’m confused. You seem to be contradicting the other two posters. You’re saying that after living for 6 months enrolling in NHI, then leaving and suspending your NHI, when you return you will have to live in Taiwan for 6 months before reenrolling? You sure?

If you leave for more than 2 years you are removed from NHI. If less than that you can suspend it and renew it again when you return. This happened when my son left Taiwan.

There are threads on this. Suggest you use the search function

https://www.nhi.gov.tw/en/cp-51-37d30-28-2.html#:~:text=If%20you%20plan%20to%20go,insurance%20or%20suspend%20your%20coverage.&text=No%20application%20needs%20to%20be%20submitted.

1 Like

Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I have received the pre-approval and would like to give you an update, especially for applicants that might be in a similar situation.

Strength of my application:

1. Two master degrees from Top500 university
  2. Studied at other Top500 universities
  3. 1 year language studies in Taiwan
  4. 8+ years in finance (some in leading position)
  5. good salary for most of my career
  6. Startup co-owner experience

Weaknesses of my application:

1. no doctoral degree
  2. no degree in Taiwan
  3. some tax certificates too old
  4. part of the work experience in China (and I didn’t do the process for that for the application as it seemed very difficult. Good to read here from others that it is definitely possible!)
  5. 0-tax residency

Timeline:
Jan 12 application
Jan-Feb: elections and holidays
Jan-Feb: several questions concerning my application
Feb 29: all questions answered
May 10 pre-approval

Even before the application, I thought about what I want to do in Taiwan and took some notes. Then, reading about the application process, I had a look at Taiwan government websites to see major development goals of Taiwan and tried to see how my plans fit to these and highlight these aspects.

During the application review process, I have answered the questions in English and linked to official government websites for further reading where appropriate.

Then, it was a bit of waiting as the NDC special case review that I have opted for in the beginning takes longer than other ways.

I want to share this post specifically for people that might live in Dubai, Sark, Panama and other similar jurisdictions in which tax rates are 0 or not applied. I guess, if you have a degree from a good university and work in a field that might be of use in Taiwan and your Taiwan plans fit to the overall development goals (there are several goals in several industries) then you might have chances.

So, let’s say you have a masters in CS from a good London uni, worked in the city before moving to Dubai, now you work in app development and make good money, plus, your goals fit to Taiwan’s overall development, then you might very well apply and try! No guarantee though.

7 Likes

So what’s the experience of folks with a gold card not working, or is that kept on the down low? This faq suggests that you’re supposed to be working / trying to find work…

AFAIK there’s no requirement to work once you have secured the visa. If you have the means you could get the 3 year gold card and retire/vacation for those 3 years.

The only issue you may run into is if you want to renew, and have no recent work experience/pay stubs to show. May complicate things

I make over the salary requirements for the Gold card, but all of my income is investment/capital gains income. (US tax filer).

Do we know if that is acceptable under the Economic category?

My understanding is that it’s not acceptable. Fir the “economy” category they look for salary from a job, not overall income. Also, nowadays, they additionaly seem to check that the salary is from a job in the economics field, not just any job.

2 Likes

Unless that investment is done through a LLC / Corp and the profits are distributed to you every year as business income, I think they are only looking at salary and sometimes also ask for an employment letter

Any success stories qualifying with K-1 income? K-1 is the type of income from business ownerships.