The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

I am just wondering if your field of work has anything to do with “economics” or just that it is the umbrella application field for pretty much everything not directly covered by other application fields.

It does seem a lot of people are just applying under Economics because they primarily pay attention to the income component and not much else it seems.

I am an anti-bribery lawyer working for a multinational, so it does not fall into the category of economics as I would use the term in English. However, if you look at the criteria, I’m pretty sure I qualify based on the amorphous idea of the significance to the economy.

1 Like

It gives me hope in that I will be interested in applying in about 4 years or so. My profession does not fit any of the categories, but I make around $90 -100K US per year, so I qualify under the Economy category as well. And hopefully, I am also significant to helping the economy.

Has anyone been asked for a proof of address? I finally got to submit everything today and a comment was returned very quickly, only about 15 minutes after I submitted and paid. It said (in Mandarin) to provide a proof of address…but no idea which country they mean that for, unfortunately.

I’ll try calling tomorrow to find out (and hope I get someone that speaks English much quicker this time!)

I’m just staying in a temporary place here so not sure what to say if they mean my Taiwan address (I’m waiting to get the gold pass before I go find a permanent apartment)

Thought I’d mention it here just as an update, cheers

First time hearing a request for proof of address in the context of a gold card application. It is a common request when issuing an ARC, though. Which address did you put in the address box in the portal?

1 Like

I just put the temporary one I’m staying at. I’m still not sure if they mean my old Singapore one or the Taiwan one, but I’ll update tomorrow after calling. Not really sure why I would need to show a Taiwan one if that’s the case though.

Maybe they don’t want to give you the gold card while you don’t have a permanent address.

OK, no problem. Keep in mind that you do not need a Taiwanese address to receive a gold card. So, if there are issues with proof of address for what you have listed you should be able to remove that address. You will be issued with a card without an address printed on it. Later, when you do have a Taiwanese address for which you have proof, you can update the card.

1 Like

Can’t believe this is still languishing in the Legislative Yuan. How many years is this going to take? They haven’t even managed to pass the amendment that makes the APRC slightly more permanent yet…

And also the news report is very pessimistic

I don’t know if I’d call it pessimistic, but it’s annoying that this is taking so long.

1 Like

I got accepted last Friday. I need to hand in my passport and I should get my card in two weeks later.

5 Likes

Congratulations !

Hello everyone.

This is my first post in this forum. Thank you for having me.

I was considering to apply for the Gold card.
Does any of you know if anyone ever got accepted without PhD or without satisfying the minimum salary requirement?

Despite there are many requirements that can be fulfilled separately to be considered (9 if I remember correctly), they seem to all come down to either being able to fulfill the salary requirement or holding a PhD degree.

Am I missing anything?

In particular, I am a young graduate (graduated last year with a double master degree) with one year of relevant working experience. I have a very international and relatively unique background, but I do understand I may lack the experience to apply for this.
I would like to just know, to your knowledge, if anyone ever got accepted with a similar profile.

Thank you and congrats to all of you who made it !

1 Like

Hi @emmep,

Welcome to Forumosa :slight_smile:

Have you had a look at which field you might apply under? Or perhaps you could provide some general information on your qualifications?

I’ve attempted to unofficially, roughly, summarise the qualification requirement options here. Generally, the gold card is aimed at professionals with at least 4 years of work experience, however if you have outstanding ability in certain fields, even without a PhD or a salary above the threshold, you may still qualify.

1 Like

When you apply for the Gold Card you put your level of education on the application form.
You can see many people acquired the gold card without a PhD from the MOL statistics at:

https://statdb.mol.gov.tw/evta/JspProxy.aspx?sys=220&ym=10811&ymt=10811&kind=21&type=1&funid=wq09203&cycle=41&outmode=0&compmode=0&outkind=3&fldlst=111&codspc0=0,6,&cod10=1&rdm=mayVepiy

Hi @fifieldt,

Thank you for welcoming me!

Tom’s Tip seems awesome. Thank you so much. I might be under the ‘Tech’ sector.

Hi @irish91,

But these people without PhD might still have fulfilled the salary criterium right? If I understood well, salary criterium is the fastest-granting fulfillment.

So, stats on just the education of the applications without their experience wouldn’t help me much to see if I would be competitive… but thank you for the link ! I would have no idea where to find something like that :slight_smile:. It is so nice there is a forum like this.

Hi all, I’ve read through this (massive and very helpful!) thread a couple of times now and I’m finally in the process of applying for a gold card in the science and technology category on the basis of having a PhD (chemistry) and research/academic experience in some of the fields stated in that category.

Something that’s confusing me on the document upload tab is what exactly I’m supposed to upload in the first category “1. Holder of a PhD qualification with skills and expertise most needed by Taiwan” (screenshot below). It’s not the PhD certificate itself (that’s #4), or my passport or photo, and it appears to be a non-compulsory field. Is this just another bug on the website, or did people upload something here? Does anyone know? Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

Hello @Andrew and welcome to Forumosa :slight_smile:

I have vague recollections of a similar issue with my own application, but can’t remember what I did exactly. If I had to guess, I’d say it’s just a bit of lazy coding and the section can be ignored. Alternately, upload a cover letter explaining the other documents?

Guiding advice: make the most sane choice you can. If anything is wrong or missing, you will definitely be given the opportunity to provide additional documents without any penalty toward your application. For obvious errors like “missing an entire section”, I’d expect the assessors to turn around fast.