The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

Sounds like a nightmare of frustration haha. Looks like you were already employed when applying, I’m currently doing online ecommerce for other countries, I wonder if I’m still eligible for that. (Others in another thread mentioned I should aim for the Gold employment pass instead of opening a business in my case)

So I fell into the rabbit hole that is this massive thread, so much info to sort through (thanks for the help everyone!). I’m going to start collecting some information, can anyone please confirm the below if it makes sense and comment on point #2? Thanks!

Info: Currently unemployed, last official job finished in March with a salary above $160,000 NTD, currently in Taiwan on visa-exempt, MBA from a Taiwan Uni

1. I will apply under ‘Economy’ and the $160,000 NTD qualification
  2. It states “Proof of salary as per the amount stated in the application.” Does anyone know exactly what that means? I have easy access to my bank records but not sure if I still can access the tax portal (wasn’t my home country). Anyone provide proof for this before?

Thanks all!

Is that per month or annual? Before or after tax?

I was making over +300k monthly

Sitting here with my UK salary like :crying_cat_face:

Is it still possible to get a working visa for Taiwan if you earn less than that? With or without a degree?

Feeling a bit trapped now lol

This thread is about the “Gold Card” channel. It is simply one of many ways to gain residency and work rights in Taiwan. It’s a special channel, not the only way forward.

Put otherwise, you don’t need to shop at the boutique to get some clothes. : P

Guy

2 Likes

I am waiting for when the duration of this visa is the same as the amount of time needed for an APRC. That makes permanent residency seemless, and you end up having a continuous open work visa as well. Hopefully all goes well with the election and this gets passed in the next year … But this is Taiwan, so who knows ???

It’s a moveable feast, but from what I’ve heard…

By default, tax statement. Maybe also acceptable: pay slips, employment contracts. Recently listed as not acceptable: bank statements.

1 Like

I was at an event recently hosted in FutureWard and a certified immigration agent that helps people apply for visas in Taiwan mentioned recently the requirement to apply under salary had changed and you needed the tax statement. Which means people might need to wait until they get this and depending on the country it’s issued at different times of the year.

Also on the tax statement in Taiwan they are particular about what is “salary” and what is “bonus”.

1 Like

So I got a very speedy reply from Mr Huang (he’s listed in a link in the thread up above):

1. I wish to start a business in Taiwan but need time to plan and arrange everything. As such, I am not officially employed right now, is that a problem?←No

2. What type of documents do you need for me to show my last salary?←the salary withholding certificate or tax certificate issued by the foreign government specifying the monthly salary or average monthly salary of over NT$160,000 within the first three years from the month of application or a copy of the employment contract specifying the aforesaid monthly salary

The last point’s English is kind of confusing…I left that job 7 months ago to go on a travel/sabbatical so I had stated that in #1 (which he didn’t reply to). You guys think I’m eligible then?

It also answers what docs are required

Yes, I think you’ve got a shot. The rules all say the “most recent” monthly salary, and limit recent to being within three years. If you haven’t had a salary in a while … your most recent one is when you last had one, no? :wink:

Yup makes sense, thanks for the help mate. Now to have fun hunting down tax docs from another country…Wish me luck!

1 Like

So I’ve been ‘enjoying’ the application process so far and have encountered a barrier. It wants me to list exact dates that I have worked in Taiwan, as well as 1 visa and visa number I’ve had for Taiwan before…

I don’t have any records kept as this was all years ago, did anyone else have problems going through this step? I have emailed them with a lengthy question, hopefully he’ll get back to me.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Do you think I should put myself as a freelancer or as ‘none’ for position? It asks a few times and I’d like to ensure my chances are improved. For reference, my last job (where I exceeded the $160k qualification) was in March before I went on sabbatical until now. Thanks as always!

If you’ll be applying on the basis of your former job, it might make sense to make that line up. If there isn’t any category in the dropdown list that makes sense, I believe “business” is a category that is a poor translation of “professional”.

You will be given a chance to amend any of your entries here if there are any issues.

1 Like

I believe @ironlady had issues related to this when filling out the application. @ironlady - any insight as to how crucial the exact dates were from long-ago Taiwan stays?

1 Like

I ultimately managed to enter dates from long ago – but they weren’t precise (they wanted month day year, and I had no idea about the day and sometimes the month on these contracts from the 1990s). No one seemed to mind. I doubt they have the ability or desire to check on them that closely assuming everything else checks out.

1 Like

So I applied under the economic provision and provided the following information:

1. 1-page Singapore Tax Statement 2018 (online filing)
  2. 1-page Singapore Income Statement 2018 (online filing)
  3. Screenshot of my company monthly payment for the last 3 years

I tried to update my filing with a statement of income from my company and my US tax statement, but I could not, so I called the number above for Mr. Huang. I got someone and asked if he could speak English. We briefly spoke in Chinese and I explained my questions (update on my application and sufficiency of my documents). He transferred me to someone who spoke English. She was extremely nice and patient, and she reviewed my documents with me to determine sufficiency. She hadn’t seen the types of documents I provided before, so I explained them to her. She asked about my US tax statements, and I told her I could send them to her but that it would have all income for both me and my wife. She told me that I didn’t need to give that because they just care about my salary, and what I provided will be enough.

She said that she would be the one reviewing my case and that she should be done in a week, and that I should call her back Friday or Monday. She gave me her name and direct line number. It was an easy and very pleasant experience.

Now let’s just hope I get the card!

5 Likes

I got an email yesterday asking for an official (signed) declaration of why I don’t have “official” tax documentation. I wrote a letter saying that my Singapore documents are official, explained the Singapore online tax process, gave my US joint tax forms, and a statement from my employer about my future terms for my Taiwan employment and my past salary. I immediately got a response that I would hear back soon, but that she thinks everything looks like it should be good.

3 Likes