The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

After I sent the application online to update the address and collected the card I got an email from an NIA Executive Officer at the Taipei City Service Center. The email had both Chinese and English text.

They asked if I could provide them a copy of the bank book cover and they will refund the $500NT fee.

I replied to the email with a copy of the cover and a few weeks later I was refunded.

1 Like

I sent a chaser this afternoon

I have some new info and an update.

Last Friday they called me saying that the rules to confirming salary have changed and whereas before they needed a work contract / a letter signed by an employer, starting now they only accept tax statements.

It does make me wonder a bit how long that is going to last since at least in Poland no-one but you signs your tax statements :smirk:

Anyway, they also said that since I applied a long time ago when the old rules were still in place they are going to try to pass it but I may have to give them a tax statement if it fails. Okay.

And yesterday I got an email and carried my passport to BOCA :smile::sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Any updates to the proposed amendment to this that was going through the government? The one that was trying for only 3 years on the gold card and then you could apply for APRC? @fifieldt ?

It is in the new economic immigration bill, and may be no progress until the election done.

1 Like

News about the tax benefit:
https://foreigntalentact.ndc.gov.tw/en/News_Content.aspx?n=F0746484B877D582&s=AB4D1406453F1C22

Some changes, still figuring out what it means.

1 Like

Ok, so my interpretation of the interpretation - please validate!

• If you came to Taiwan in 2015/2016/2017 and had a single 3/2/1 year work contract that ended in 2018 and you became a Gold Card holder in 2018 and got a new contract … for financial year 2018 (and 2019 and 2020) you can claim the Gold Card tax break.

This news does not apply to you if:

• you worked in Taiwan before 2015
  • your contract didn’t extend into 2018
  • you had multiple contracts between 2015 and 2018.
  • you became a gold card holder in 2019
2 Likes

Not at all cryptic :wink:

2 Likes

Does anyone know what’s the procedure after submitting your passport? The day before yesterday (6 days after leaving my passport at BOCA) status changed to ‘Under inspection’ again :thinking: I think that’s normal just before they finally approve it?

Also retrieved the passport yesterday but no new visa inside. I guess it’s electronic or built into the card? :thinking: I guess should be expected since they haven’t finally approved it yet though.

Sounds like a normal procedure. 6 days is the ‘standard’ BOCA turnaround.
Soon you should get a notification to pick up your card.

You’re correct that the card itself serves as your visa. Should you get a new passport in the future, be sure to update the number with NIA by using the online portal to send an update.

2 Likes

I want to apply for a gold card. I hope to get it on the basis that I have a PhD and not much else. Do I need a certified copy of my PhD certificate? Certified by a TECO office? Do I need other certified copies of documents? Is there a chance to get the gold card just like that?

1 Like

Welcome to Formosa!

Nope, non-certified copies are accepted by default. You’re uploading digital versions to the website, anyway.

May we know which field you are in?

1 Like

The PhD is in Musicology. So not directly in education but I aim to apply for the education sector.

Looks like you’ve done your research :wink: So, you would choose to apply under Article 1 of the regulations for Foreign Special Professionals Possessing Special Expertise in the Field of Education.

I’m not familiar with how the Ministry of Education approaches its assessments, but in theory if your degree is from the top 200 universities in the most recent QS World University Rankings or Times Higher Education World University Rankings, you could be good. If you’ve also got evidence of a class or two you taught, even better.

If you want to get more information prior to applying, you could call the MoE contact on the official contact list.

1 Like

Is it normal for the ‘Under inspection’ status to stay for 5 days after BOCA? Looking at previous timelines in this thread it should change within the same day.

I’m getting impatient on the finish line :expressionless:

Yes. Some people even found that their status never updated at all, and they found their card had long been printed. In theory, since it’s under NIA jurisdiction at this point you could give their official gold card contact a call to find out what’s going on.

1 Like

I’ll call them in the morning and let you know how it goes. Was going to do that anyway. So far the experience has been truly special :sweat_smile: :rofl:

Yeah, the person on the phone just flipped a switch and I got the approval email. He said to come in a few days to pick it up. It may be as you say and it’s already been printed :sweat_smile:

He also mentioned there were ‘some opinions’ on my application in the system and he had to consult with his supervisor. I don’t know what that is about.

1 Like

Hi Wo,

So you ended up getting approved under the Economic category? Can you tell me what you had to give them to succeed in that area? I fulfill the salary requirement (from my last job in another country) and have an MBA from Taiwan but I didn’t think I qualified. Greatly appreciate any feedback, thanks!

1 Like

Alright. Just picked up the card :smile: Thanks to everybody and @fifieldt :smile: :smile:

@BananaJay

Yes I ended up approved under Economy (which makes no sense but meh). You can call Mr Huang at MoL from the list someone posted earlier (search this thread). He doesn’t speak English but will redirect you to somebody who does. If you want you can ask for Ms Wendy, she’s super helpful. Tell her your case and ask what they would need from you.

I sent them a contract, a bank statement and a letter from my employer stating that I am xyz and make xyz. From what I understand the bank statement is never taken into consideration. The contract + letter combo may not be anymore either. They said they will only accept pay slips and tax statements in future applications.

Also, the online application system is bugged to the ninth heaven. If you need to update your info at some point be prepared that some fields will not be updated, some docs will upload twice, some parts of the site will be in 中文, the website goes down and comes back a few hours later. And call them every Monday or so to inquire after you apply.

3 Likes