The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

You just assumed the master’s gender. :rage:

Yeah, but @axwzl assumed @afterspivak was an American first…so they’re even.

I assumed nothing as I did not hear anything about @axwzl’s mistress. :slight_smile:

Guy

First Gold Card issued

1 Like

Yeah, because bringing in people like THAT is really going to benefit Taiwan.

1 Like

Was I right or was I right when I said this was going to be used for people of Chinese or Taiwanese origin?

5 Likes

A couple of questions this raised in my mind:

1. Did Steve Chen actively seek this card, or did the government simply choose him as a high profile poster boy?

2. If he was born in and lived in Taiwan until he was 15, as his bio states, does he even need this card? (I’m assuming at least one of his parents is a Taiwanese national but I could be wrong)

5 Likes

Maybe so he can dodge military service by entering as a furriner?

I thought the cutoff was 36. (He’s 39 according to Wikiland.)

if you have a PHD or make more thatn 160000 per month. Thats the closest a person can get, unless you have a nobel prize. Basically its almost impossible.

I think not a few people meet these criteria, comparing to other conditions.

True, any of the criteria is hard. Most of the young foreign professional wont make the cut. Most of the achievements they stated , usually are gotten by very experiencie people, which tend to be a little older. I thought the porpuse was also to attract young proffesionals and help them develope their lifes inside Taiwan.

So if someone works in IT and makes more than 160K a month, they can apply for that? No other requirements?

Apparently , yes. But until we dont hear the first succesful case, we will never know.

Hmmm… I know coworkers that could apply if that was the case. So what’s your understanding of the real world advantages this card would have over a normal work-sponsored ARC (if you don’t have spouse/family wanting to join in Taiwan). What I can tell so far:

1. Not bound to one employer (good if you want to change easier, or fear could lose job)
  2. Maybe income tax benefits
  3. The 168 days in Taiwan per year requirement is loosened
  4. plus several things that only apply to family members/spouses

As far as I can tell it doesn’t help to get permanent residency easier or faster (need to stay 5 years and apply), but it is a step closer to APRC in terms of being able to apply several times until the 5 years are met, regardless of which employer you work for.

1 Like

I believe there are no other requirements.

I applied earlier this month as a technology professional based on the criteria of having made a salary greater than 160K. A few days ago I received an email from the NIA stating that my application was officially approved and they are currently producing my IC card. So while I don’t have the documents in hand yet, I am fairly certain that I should be getting the “gold card” soon unless something goes wrong.

I’ll post an update when I have the documents in hand.

6 Likes

What do all of these people have in common…
Ted Turner, Larry Ellison, Steve Jobs, Michael Dell, David Geffen, Paul Allen, John D. Rockefeller, Kevin Rose, Henry Ford, Andrew Carnegie, Steve Wozniak, Y.C. Wang, Matt Mullenweg, Mark Zuckerberg, David Karp, Daniel Ek, Evan Williams, Bill Gates, Richard Branson, Pete Cashmore, Jan Koum, James Cameron, Li Ka Shing, Jack Dorsey, etc.??

They are all extremely successful WITHOUT a college degree, much less a Ph.D.!! If a Ph.D. degree was any measure of success - Taiwan would be King - as it is dripping with them. Taiwan now has many NTU Ph.D. types now working the factory assembly lines - soon to be replaced by AI!

Come to think about it isn’t the government filled with Ph.D. types??

Those people meet other criteria than PhD.

This is true… but they all became successful using creativity, hard work and entrepreneurship…unfortunately the gold card system does not take this into account.

If I’m a successful young, creative entrepreneur why would I want to move to Taiwan - for the food??

If you want a tropical island with good public transit, you’re basically stuck between Taiwan and Singapore. :desert_island: :idunno: :desert_island:

2 Likes