The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

What is the recent experience with speed of the delivery to consular offices outside of Taiwan? I received an email confirming it was granted and that there would be a delay of “at least 21 working days” before it would be ready for collection. That was almost 6 weeks ago. It’s been radio silence since then, and the time description is rather open-ended…

Congratulations on your Gold ARC. Can I ask when you applied for your card?

It looks like we are in the same boat. I emailed Houston TECO to ask that they check on the status. She emailed back and said she’d let me know, but that never happened. I have now been waiting seven weeks. My status on the website still says Passport Submission. Houston, we have a problem

And these experiences are why talent and capital flow to places like Singapore instead.

Not really to be fair, sponsoring and residency in Singapore is much harder.

The reason is mainly the language (English is an official language) and salaries: for the same type of Job in Taipei you earn maybe 100 to 180% less.
(For example in my job I would go from about 260/300.000 month average to probably 120-150 if a miracle happens, such as me learning mandarin).

Can you enter with some PDF/Receipt and collect the card later on?
Or do you need to wait the actual card to arrive?

My original application started end of February.
…and to the other point raised by @dtan - I nave already downloaded some kind of permission pdf “Resident Authorization form” which would seem to allow collection once in Taiwan, but I did specify on my original application to collect from overseas consular office. So I’m concerned the card got stuck in the middle somehow

I’m not talking about how hard or easy the requirements are to meet, salary ranges or language. I’m talking about the responsiveness and professionalism of the system once you’re in it.

People approved for something called a Gold Card shouldn’t be dealing with weeks of radio silence. It’s kind of insulting, and embarrassing for a country that says it’s trying to attract good people.

1 Like

Many people trying to find ways to stay in Taiwan/get into since it’s the safest country in the world for now. The immigration bureau must be overwhelmed by applications now (not only gold card, but there is many other type of visas).

@RedHorse read few of your posts in that thread.
WOW, i’m mind blown by so much negativity in it. I’d be glad someone complaining so much don’t get the card, or even put feet in Taiwan. Not vouching for other gold card holders, but pretty sure if we had a kind of veto, we’d be glad to use it.

I suspect you haven’t read this thread carefully enough. These are people who have been approved for a Gold Card and are waiting on it.

This isn’t about tourists and passerbys trying to get into Taiwan because it’s the “safest” country.

I’m in Taiwan. I’m in the process of getting an ARC through business ownership. I have first-hand experience with business formation/investment and residency in other countries.

I really really like Taiwan, which is why I’ve decided to stay here for a while. Perhaps you’ll consider that what you see as “negativity” is informed and valid criticism. Having experience with other countries, I believe Taiwan is doing itself a disservice and making it harder to attract the talent and investment it says it wants.

When people invest time and money in a process like this, they should be treated decently. Wanting Taiwan to improve its “customer experience” is a good thing. If Taiwan does so, it will be easier for the country to attract good people and investment.

6 Likes

Just an update:

14th of May: Submitted the Application and paid.
15th of May: Under Review
18th of May: Professional Review by Workforce Development Agency

Fingers crossed, since I need this by mid July the latest/first of August tops, I do not know if it will be possible. haha

So… gold card is approved. The last email I got this morning said:

“We will mail the gold card to you with your self-addressed prepaid envelope once we receive it.”

Looks like this is going to be a while… :pensive:

Can’t you go pick it up at TECO Seattle?

They have not received it from NIA in Taiwan. They would mail it immediately once they get it themselves. Plus, the office is closed, so no pick up. That’s why they recommend sending them self-addressed prepaid envelope.

Edit: Status on the website changed from “IC Card in Process 5/10/2020” to “Completed 5/12/2020”. So, I am guessing they (NIA TW) have mailed it on 5/12/2020 and is en-route to the states?

Is it possible to enter TW with the single-use authorization and get the card or the duplicate in TW? @skilmosa did not think it’s possible.

Well, it’s the first time anyone raised the possibility of a duplicate. I fear it could be one more source of confusion. My “IC card in process” was over a month ago. @RedHorse - My customer experience is indeed below par, I only get terse one-liner responses when I mail their representative office politely asking clarification on a few points regarding further applications for family and about the “special permission” needed to enter in view of covid-19 (they did not explain). Very frustrating.

If your card would be lost, there may be a way to reissue it.

According to the latest updates, I think my Gold Card will be approved when I will not need it anymore (if my Gold Card is not approved and somehow here in Singapore by middle of July, it won’t be of any use since I won’t be able to leave the country in time to join the my language classes, which was the only reason why I applied for one).

Once I have a Gold Card, it is valid for three years.

Does it mean that even if I do not enter in Taiwan for, for example, 2 years, it will still be valid and I can use it in 2023 for a remaining year?

My understanding is that the validity period starts on the approval date.

Thank you.
I keep my fingers crossed for a little miracle, otherwise I guess I might use it in 2022/2023 haha.

I’m not sure if the Resident Authorization Certificate can be used… though at this point you have an ARC Number (without the physical card) so I suspect immigration can use this to verify your status rather than the card. I used the Resident Authorization Certificate to enter Taiwan in 2018, it had a barcode that they scanned to verify my status on the system, then put a resident entry stamp in my passport and that was it. You should likely contact NIA to check if you can use it, also the airline might ask questions about it if “Alien Authorization Certificate” is not on their list of allowed documents (Taiwan Passport, Alien Resident Certificate, Special Entry Permit, etc) so you can show some verification that it’s an acceptable document if NIA say so.

You can get a new card when your in Taiwan, once you get an address you will need to update your information and therefore get a new card at the NIA Service Center.

1 Like