The Employment Gold Card Super-Thread

I phoned them just now and experienced a similar tone, vague answers, and finally “we’re very busy, we don’t have time” …wow, so helpful :unamused:
In answer to how to obtain special permission to enter, in view if virus restrictions, I was told to apply for a Resident visa …whaaaat?

1 Like

Wow. Bizzare! What state/country are you applying from?

@dtan “According to the latest updates, I think my Gold Card will be approved when I will not need it anymore (if my Gold Card is not approved and somehow here in Singapore by middle of July, it won’t be of any use since I won’t be able to leave the country in time to join the my language classes, which was the only reason why I applied for one).”
Oh… any updates? Or based on the last few posts in the thread. FWIW, I asked a contact who I think very recently applied while in Taiwan and he said “24 days”, but it’s very likely things, especially the passport check, are slower overseas. The ICLP fall term 2020-2021 is supposed to start on September 9 though/3.5 months from now. I’m hoping the gold card will be faster, and I also wonder if student visa rules will change or processing will resume by then.

@irish91, @pin2xbo,
I too was worried about the “Resident Authorization Certificate” single-use PDF/receipt being sufficiently valid for entry under the current restrictions, but also worried about the gold card taking too long to be mailed over. I applied to pick up the gold card in Taiwan itself, planning to use the TECO passport check opportunity to ask/make sure that the Resident Authorization Certificate would work (supposedly it has an expiration date and ID# that are the same as the ARC, and I could get TECO to write something for the airline just in case). In the case that I find out I really do need the physical gold card, I could then ask that the card be mailed over and take the X week delay in getting it to the US. Hopefully we all figure this out soon. I plan to give them a call in the morning since I want to make sure this point is right and it seems unclear now.

Original post, which fifeldt responded to saying Residence Authorization Certificate should be good "Employment gold card" for some foreigners

@skilmosa “In answer to how to obtain special permission to enter, in view if virus restrictions, I was told to apply for a Resident visa …whaaaat?” Does this mean the resident visa qualifies as one of the exceptional allowed-to-enter categories?

Right now the status is still: Professional Review by Workforce Development Agency
Let’s see. I applied less than a week ago. :slight_smile:
I am afraid they will ask for more documents since they did not even ask me my CV during the application phase, and this can slow down.

It is true that the program starts in actually Mid-September (I can probably skip the orientation, due to how the things are going now) - but I need to be there for the first lesson since my level of Chinese does not allow me to skip classes.
In addition, I need some time to break my lease in Singapore, sell my furniture etc, so at least 3 weeks for this.

I’d prefer not to “point the finger” here, never know who is reading!

1 Like

Since the guy on the phone didn’t have the time to engage in further explanation I can only assume/trust/hope that is the way it will work, but on the other hand there may be various interpretations and improvisations case-by-case…

So my extended tourist prepaid SIM card finally ran out. Had a lovely time this week trying to get a contract with the Gold Card. Went to Far Eastone, spent 30 minutes haggling in Mandarin (my level is just beginner/low-intermediate) and they ended up not accepting my gold card as a form of ID-- As in, they didn’t think it was a valid form of government ID. They asked for my foreign country driver’s license instead…yikes.

I was a bit shocked, so they said to go to one of the main branches where they could solve my problem.

Did that the next day and they were fine with my forms of ID after calling the helpline, but they still charged me $2400 just for a 1-year contract (with no phone purchase) because “I am foreigner”.

I’m grateful for getting the gold card but holy hell, no government/business understands what it is. I had to get a guarantor for my rental contract because the landlord told the agent “what happens if he runs away?” on a 3 year arc.

I love the advancement that the Taiwan government is making in terms of getting foreign professionals to work here and help the economy. Lord knows its a bit overdue, but we’re seeing progress.

What I can’t understand (and yet still do as I used to live here years ago) is the extreme inefficiency of the bureaucracy here. The Taiwan government is trying to imitate countries like Singapore and HK by attracting foreign professionals to help their economy and possibly start new businesses here, etc.

Yet, every damn step of the way, since I’ve embarked down this path, I’ve been met with more bureaucracy and misunderstanding than 1940 Stalinists.

Love this country, but FFS it’s like trying to help a person spoonfeed themself when you’re the one that’s starving.

Sorry for the rant, but I know I’m still going to have to go through this shite getting my health card after 6 months and a proper business bank account. Wo Ai Taiwan.
But god damn the bureaucratic nature of this shit can wear you down.

Rant over.

5 Likes

Totally understand your frustration, although the intentions of having these types of initiatives in effect are great - the culture hasn’t necessarily caught up yet. It was actually one of the reasons I ended up leaving Taiwan, I just felt like change would take too long and lost patience with it all.

1 Like

I am struggling with the procedure to get special “covid” entry permission, I am told I need to wait for my gold card first but that’s not in my hands yet. I do have the pdf authorization. So is the number on that identical to the one on the gold card? If so, I might simply write it on the special application…

1 Like

do you still need the special visa when you have a gold card?

Is two letters followed by an 8-digit number?

1 Like

I don’t see any other number besides passport and gold card application number. I don’t think it’s the same with the arc number.

I’ve checked my Resident Authorization Document and also don’t see the ARC number mentioned on it.

If you view your approved application on the application portal -> case status check.
Can you see data (as @fifieldt mentioned, 2 letters + 8 digits) beside the field “ROC Uniform ID Number (Alien Resident Certificate Number)”?

If it’s present then this is your ARC number.

2 Likes

I saw it! Thanks.

2 Likes

It’s been 2 months since I did passport submission in Houston. It was definitely lost in transit. After a month of asking, Houston finally emailed NIA to get a status update for me. It’s been 10 days and no reply. My gal in Houston called me today and told me to call NIA myself that she couldn’t help me anymore.
Am I really sure I want to move to tw?

2 Likes

Keep your eye on the ball, and don’t get discouraged! The postal/delivery systems have been wonky, and various lockdowns have not helped make the machine run smoothly (see, e.g., the jaw-dropping “Bojack returns” thread, if you have not already).

I hope you get this sorted out!

Guy

1 Like

@Bree
So sorry this is happening to you. Do not give up! It’s only a blip to the big picture. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have not seen mine either.

@discobot fortune

:crystal_ball: My reply is no

You’re not sure yet, Bree. Keep pondering. :thinking: :balance_scale: